Guide to Backing Up Your Android Data

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
That is a good guide for those who are not afraid to get their hands dirty on some good ol's fashion command line! Thanks. :)

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Why not included helium for non rooted phones [MENTION=77264]Vyom[/MENTION]

Cause apparently Helium came long after I wrote the guide. But it's good that you have mentioned it.
Helium app seems to be pretty bad-ass to take backups of App And Data. Not surprising since it comes from ClockworkMod.

$hadow

Geek in making
Cause apparently Helium came long after I wrote the guide. But it's good that you have mentioned it.
Helium app seems to be pretty bad-ass to take backups of App And Data. Not surprising since it comes from ClockworkMod.

I used it when I was on stock rom on my nexus 7 for a few months and was impressed but then root + titanium happened :-D

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Doing a complete backup using Titanium Backup always messes up my home screen setup. I end up with lost widgets, icons or wallpaper.

Particularly w.r.t. Sony the default Backup and Restore is useless across OS versions eg. in case of upgrade from Android 4.4.2 to 4.4.4.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Doing a complete backup using Titanium Backup always messes up my home screen setup. I end up with lost widgets, icons or wallpaper.

Particularly w.r.t. Sony the default Backup and Restore is useless across OS versions eg. in case of upgrade from Android 4.4.2 to 4.4.4.

You only do a complete backup using Titanium backup if you flash same ROM.
Titanium backup is only good if you want to restore selective apps and their data.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Complete backup has other use cases than changing ROM alone. It can act as a system restore point for adventurous minds too. I can try different system setup combinations and see which works best for me.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Bump to add a very important point.

"Remember" to take the backup. I recently all my data on Moto X after I unlocked it's bootloader without realizing that I did a fatal mistake. Sounds kind of dumb and ironic, but yes it happened.

So the most important point is: To Take Regular backups or remember to take backup before messing around your device, and/or setup cloud backups.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
How to backup the desktop? I mean homescreens and their icon/widget arrangements?

I am not sure about the stock launcher, but I use Apex launcher, which also have the ability to save settings in a file. So you can use Apex, which is just like stock Android launcher, only with hoards of customization options.

Top Bottom