[Guide] Laptop SSDs.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Check this deal if anyone wants to buy.

Crucial P2 500GB - ₹4097
Take a look at this Crucial P2 500 GB Laptop, Desktop Internal Solid State Drive ((CT500P2SSD8) 3D NAND) on Flipkart
*dl.flipkart.com/s/m2ojnvNNNN

Crucial P5 500GB - ₹5426
Take a look at this Crucial P5 500 GB Desktop Internal Solid State Drive (CT500P5SSD8) on Flipkart
*dl.flipkart.com/s/SKDV!RuuuN

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Check this post of mine:
*geek.digit.in/community/threads/de...ur-findings-here.152426/page-108#post-2408802
I found that some deals giving 2 discounts on SSD so I posted here. There may be more available on Flipkart on other SSD.
So, I didn't checked if it's a good SSD or not.

What about this purchase mx500 500gb for ₹4697, From Flipkart?
₹4697 on Flipkart. Purchased. Inclusive of all discounts.
Is it genuine? Means the product on Flipkart.
Because on crucial website it's only mentioned Amazon site.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
i think it should be genuine as these are sellers who are selling and any retailer can sell any where.
check this Identifying Your Crucial Computer Parts | Crucial.com
Got ssd today, september 2021 import date
I will be using ssd for the first time, any instructions?
Any other software is needed other than "crucial storage executive"?
should I do the upgrade firmware in future?

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
iirc i did the firmware upgrade only once. i don't remember doing anything special. just straight clean install.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never do firmware upgrade on hdd/ssd unless you are facing a serious issue for which the only solution is firmware upgrade & you have taken the backup of all the data(at least important one) in the hdd/ssd.
@vidhubhushan

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
You don't even need special software for the SSD to work properly. Since, this is a clean SSD. You can do the firmware upgrade.
Just use Crystal Disk Info for monitoring it.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
Never do firmware upgrade on hdd/ssd unless you are facing a serious issue for which the only solution is firmware upgrade & you have taken the backup of all the data(at least important one) in the hdd/ssd.
@vidhubhushan

i think i did that immediately after installing windows. since then i never checked it as everything is working fine. i think it gave me a warning of that sort to backup important data.
moreover i regularly work in a limited account as sometimes i visit ahem sites so from this account the software is not accessible. thanks dear.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i think i did that immediately after installing windows. since then i never checked it as everything is working fine. i think it gave me a warning of that sort to backup important data.
moreover i regularly work in a limited account as sometimes i visit ahem sites so from this account the software is not accessible. thanks dear.
Which software?

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Need 1tb or more SSD for laptop.
But unable to find SSD type supported
I think it's 2.5" don't know exact.

I wanted to purchase 1tb crucial mx500 ssd earlier. So maybe it's 2.5" only.
Now 1 TB is available at = ₹5300
*www.amazon.in/dp/B078211KBB
can anyone suggest better newer SSD? 1 TB or 2 TB?
which will be better and pros and cons using large storage capacity.
there is one slot for CD Drive which can be used for SSD.

Last edited:

TheSloth

The Slowest One
^CD enclosure isn't design for airflow and putting in SSD which generates heat will raise the temps of laptop. By how much, I dont know. But not advisable.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
^CD enclosure isn't design for airflow and putting in SSD which generates heat will raise the temps of laptop. By how much, I dont know. But not advisable.
Okay thank you for the advice.
So, I will avoid buying extra SSD and enclosure too.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Okay thank you for the advice.
So, I will avoid buying extra SSD and enclosure too.
You can get external enclosure for CD if you want to.
What is your main drive in laptop, HDD or SSD? If its HDD then replace it completely with SSD and may be sell the HDD after deleting all the data properly.
SSD in HDD slot will be fine since it will have some amount of airflow. CD slot in laptop is closed from all the side. I also had same question few years and could only replace the HDD

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
You can get external enclosure for CD if you want to.
What is your main drive in laptop, HDD or SSD? If its HDD then replace it completely with SSD and may be sell the HDD after deleting all the data properly.
SSD in HDD slot will be fine since it will have some amount of airflow. CD slot in laptop is closed from all the side. I also had same question few years and could only replace the HDD
HDD 2.5"
looks like similar case.
but which one you purchased., prices are lowest now for some like crucial. Will there be more price drops?

Last edited:
Top Bottom