Guide for transcoding videos via AVIVO converter in Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
I was so frustrated when I found out that AVIVO can't even use graphics card to convert videos on Windows 7. In fact, I was even willing to swap my 4870 with GTX 260 or any-other NVIDIA card. But then I found a solution.

AVIVO is a free video converter which uses ATI's Stream technology to convert videos. It works fine in Windows XP but it gives a lot of problems in Windows 7 the main one being "Unsupported File Format". This guide will help you to rectify the problem and untap the potential of your ATI graphics card.

1. Download the latest drivers (highly recommended) for your ATI card relevant to your OS architecture from here.
  2. Then download the ATI AVIVO Video Converter from the above link.
  3. Install ATI Drivers first and then AVIVO converter.
  4. Reboot.

Now, when normally we start the converter and try to convert a file it says "Unsupported File Format". It is due to the Microsoft's decision to unify the video-codecs in Windows 7. We just need to change the decoder of the codecs to anything else but Microsoft. For this follow these steps.

1. Download Shark007 codecs relevant to your OS architecture from here.
  2. After installing it right click on configuration settings & then change the settings of codecs from Microsoft's to ffdshow. You can find that in the Start-menu shortcut. For eg, when you click on the AVI tab, uncheck the Microsoft radio-button & click on ffdshow or something else. Do this for all the video codecs listed.
  3. 64-bit users, you need to download one more thing called 64-bit components from here. Then follow Step-3.
  4. In the second last or last tab, you need to disable Media-foundation. This is the primary culprit for all our problems.
  5. That's it you're done.
  6. Start the AVIVIO video coverter from Catalyst Control Center & then switching to Advanced Mode & selecting video converter from the drop down menu. Make sure to select "Enable Acceleration".
  7. Enjoy!!

I've tried it earlier yesterday. It works wonderfully. Now it can decode 95% of the codecs. Some of them still do give a problem.

Note :- If you update the Shark 007 codecs, then you need to re-configure the above written steps.

Cheers!!

Update :-

Download A's video converter from here.
Using this video converter, I was able to convert a 175 MB AVI file to iPod Touch in 1:20 mins.. It also uses AVIVO & is free...

Check the screenshot for more details :-
*img526.imageshack.us/img526/1667/svideoconv.th.jpg

Update !!!!

A's Video converter can be used as a CPU app too.. In fact is is more faster when used via a CPU..

*img80.imageshack.us/img80/8520/demo2k.th.png

Do post back your feedback.

Last edited:
OP
hellknight

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Works fine with 4xxx series cards here.. I don't know why it doesn't works with 5xxx series.. Regardgin GPU usage.. I think that it is not as good as Badaboom.. it is taking about 3-4 minutes to convert a 175 MB TV Show clip into 1Mbps iPod video.. still.. you guys can post your results and we can see what is the problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom