GTX 480 discussion

adityamgk

The GameFREAK is Online
is gtx 480 a good card? What are usually the operating temperatures for all the games usually upto 1920X1080 with around 4x anti aliasing?

is the zotac gtx 480 amp! with zalman cooler and 2 cooling fans good? wat is the price?

also tell me some of the good 24 inch LED backlite monitors from asus, samsung, viewsonic...

rajan1311

Padawan
not much can be discussed on this....not many own it, not many want to own it....

I wonder why u want an LED backlit monitor? Cos you got the most power hungry card in the market and wanna save a few 20 odd watts with LED backlite :p

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@jas, give some respect to Nvidia. its known as GTX480 Microwave Edition (term first coined by me myself). also a similar name went to XFX 8600GT electric stove edition (term not brought forward by me. than i was a complete noob).

BTW, rajan how is your proccy running at just 1V with so much OC? even Athlon II X4s need 1.2V to match such speed. will try it on my proccy after a week or 2.

Piyush

Lanaya
there one thing about the OPs
they start the thread
make us to start a good discussion on their topic
and they vanish without a single comment

NOTE:not all OP are of same kind

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
no OC bro, just running at stock speeds, will be hard for an Athlon cos of its IMC....

but that way too low. & what is IMC?

Nvidia needs to pay sam for such a brilliant hot title.

they'll strip me of everything. also i better suited with my small & cool & least power hungry card. rather than a Microwave. already have one. also at that temp, M69's fan will go poof. so no thanks.

there one thing about the OPs
they start the thread
make us to start a good discussion on their topic
and they vanish without a single comment

NOTE:not all OP are of same kind

most are. most come. post a msg & vanish. some return after a month. some never.

rajan1311

Padawan
yea, at 1V its not very stable, if i load (games) it, the system reboots, i dont do much these days on my PC anyways, just browse. For a 100% stable system, the lowest i could get was 1.06V.

The AMDs have integrated memory controllers (IMC) so the max you can prolly do is a 1.16V or so.....(guessing from other's experience)

@Jaskanwar Sing : they will probably never send sam a review sample for that title ;)

Coming back to topic : The GF100 was suppose to have 512 shader cores right? So no GTX485 around the corner ?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
yea, at 1V its not very stable, if i load (games) it, the system reboots, i dont do much these days on my PC anyways, just browse. For a 100% stable system, the lowest i could get was 1.06V.

The AMDs have integrated memory controllers (IMC) so the max you can prolly do is a 1.16V or so.....(guessing from other's experience)

oh yes. so the Vxore in i* should be high. actually AMD proccies can easily withstand voltages upto 1.6V or maybe beyond. i3s & i5s die as soon as you touch 1.5V. even 1.45V is heavy.

@Jaskanwar Sing : they will probably never send sam a review sample for that title ;)

:lol:

Coming back to topic : The GF100 was suppose to have 512 shader cores right? So no GTX485 around the corner ?

yes but nor around the corner. not yet till they can do something about the temperature thing. if you weren't happy with 100degree C load during gaming on a GTX480, GTX485 currently will throw you a 110dgree load. for now GTX490 or 495 coming (2XGTX460 die).

OP
A

adityamgk

The GameFREAK is Online
hi guys..

i dont want to go for ATI as it does not support Physx and does not do so well in tessellation...

Please give me your views and also the price of ZOTAC 480 AMP! edition with zalman cooler..i heard its a very cool card 20 degrees below stock cooler... According to my knowledge the AMP! is not an oven card...so please give your views and tell me the price...

also suggest cabinet whether a coolermaster 690 II advanced or the haf 922?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ if you want GTX480, get the sheapest possible one. take oof the HFS. get a OEM GPU cooler (preferably water cooled one). & use it. total will cost you much less. or get 2 X GTX460 1Gb in SLI. done.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Physx is a gimmick by nVidia, imho. It might help in some games, but most games are equally fun without it. Secondly, every card has some sort of "physics engine" in it, if not "Physx."

Go for 2 * GTX460 in SLI instead of GTX480.

OP
A

adityamgk

The GameFREAK is Online
my motherboard does not have sli so have to go for a single card...at least tell me the price of zotac gtx 480 amp edition. so that i can have an idea wat would be the difference between this and 5870..

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
GTX 480 is about 10% faster than HD 5870 with 40% higher power consumption and noise. HD 5870 will cost around 21.5k whereas GTX 480 costs around 28k.

Better buy a HD 5970 if you have a budget around 34k.

Last edited:
Top Bottom