GTA IV Poor Performance issue!

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
My rig is :

E7400 @ 3.4GHz
4GB RAM
MSI R4670 1GB
17" CRT / AOC T2442we (using this for development purpose)

I played this game somewhere around 2010 with this same rig and it was fine. And currently, i have GTA EFLC installed in this rig and it is running fine. Since i lost my old copy, i bought new one yesterday and after installing, it runs like a slideshow. If EFLC can run fine, why GTA 4 is having this issue. The screen freezes for a moment and then it is ok. I am getting around 10~12 fps at low setting at 800x600 resolution. If i plug in my AOC 24" display, i am getting 4fps with the resolution of 1024x768 @ low settings.

I remember first time i played this game with E6600+2GB+7600GS at 800x600 @ low settings and i get the same fps. This is really annoying.

I installed the latest patch, updated all drivers, direct x and gfwl. Even i defragmented my HDD! :oops:

Can anyone tell me why i am getting poor performance with GTA 4 and not with EFLC? :-?

samfisher123

Broken In
E7400 @ 3.4GHz
4GB RAM
MSI R4670 1GB
17" CRT / AOC T2442we (using this for development purpose) ,this configuration is enough to run the game very smoothly ,may be there are clusters on your hard drive.
If you really want to run all the games smoothly ,i suggest you to buy solid state drive (SSD) 80gb ,only to install games and not for storage. and maintain best optimization softwares such as "tune up utilities" . which can keep your system clean and fast. enjoy

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ I am using Tuneup Utilities too. I used CCCleaner to fix all things, defrag all drives. But still i am getting the same issue. But my question is, how come GTA : EFLC is working fine? I downloaded patch 1.0.4.0 and 1.0.7.0, installed 4.0 first, found no use, tried with 7.0 the latest one, again hiccup is there.

Even if i am getting 15~20fps at low settings it is ok, but this hiccup is annoying.

Is there any mod to fix this? I searched in gta forums, installed few so-called-performance-booster, but still no use.

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
If i replace my proccy with an Phenom 2 940 + 8GB of RAM will improve the performance a bit. Right now i am getting 15~20 fps, at low settings, but it stutters a lot, but if i get same fps smoothly, it will be ok for me. So will a Phenom 2 940 will be an good update at this moment?

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
you need to upgrade your 512M DDR3 gfx card bro. your proccy is fine. as is your ram.
gta4 does have issues on PC, but not as severe as yours.

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
you need to upgrade your 512M DDR3 gfx card bro. your proccy is fine. as is your ram.
gta4 does have issues on PC, but not as severe as yours.

I know my GPU is weak, but not like this. The thing is, i am getting Phenom 2 + another 4 gigs of RAM at a good price, so i am telling this. I will buy a new GFX card, but not anytime soon.

The mystery is, with GTA : Episodes from Liberty City i am getting decent FPS and a smooth gameplay with this rig, then why not with GTA IV?

So my question is, if i upgrade, will the gameplay be smooth at around 20fps?

Amithansda

Journeyman
I bought GTA 4+EFLC from Flipkart.
I encountered similar problem while running GTA4, there was no way that my RiG can not run this game.
Then I installed 1.0.7 and it was good. Even better than XBox experience.

____
May be it hates AMD GPUs cause my friend borrowed the disks from me, but he faced no problems. He uses a NVidia Card

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
I bought GTA 4+EFLC from Flipkart.
I encountered similar problem while running GTA4, there was no way that my RiG can not run this game.
Then I installed 1.0.7 and it was good. Even better than XBox experience.

____
May be it hates AMD GPUs cause my friend borrowed the disks from me, but he faced no problems. He uses a NVidia Card

Dude, you have a 6870. I am having 4670, and you are comparing it with your issue? Anyways, i reinstalled windows for nothing, no use. Still getting pathetic slideshow kinda experience. I decided not to play this game. Sh1t happens to me always

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
bro, no offense, but with the kind of games being released, sh1t is gonna happen a lot more frequently if you dont upgrade your card.

period.

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
bro, no offense, but with the kind of games being released, sh1t is gonna happen a lot more frequently if you dont upgrade your card.

period.

I know that, but for now, i am not playing any latest games, so that will not annoy me anytime soon. Right now, i am playing games, twice or thrice in a week. So not a big deal. Anyways, i am planning to update a decent GPU after April next year. Meanwhile i will update proccy,RAM and PSU.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
then your gpu will be a bottleneck. if you upgrade proc, mobo and ram, then discard your gpu and use onboard gfx, if you buy a proccy with integrated gfx.

if not, then... bottleneck.

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
@furious :
1.uninstall GTA 4 & EFLC
2.Re-Install GTA 4
3.install 1.7 patch from HEREand DO NOT get the game patched from GWFL auto-update
4.check if it plays properly

i have a similar problem

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
just try(btw is EFLC on disc or is it on Download?) i have a normal copy of GTA 4 and i got stuttering issues after using GFWL auto-update. i then had to uninstall the game and re-apply the patch manually

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
EFLC is a seperate DISC and IV is seperate DISC. So installing will take far more time, i guess. Anyways i will give it a try.

Top Bottom