GTA IV compatibility issue

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Can you please give the exact model number of your laptop and also driver version.

Since you are running Windows 10, I guess the driver updates are being taken care of Windows itself. Still.

Also please run the following programs and post screenshots of them:
CPU-Z
GPU-Z

ab522tx
Latest drivers, 10 updates them itself.
PFA.

Attachments

• Specs.txt
    46.5 KB · Views: 148

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
OK.

Can you look into power management settings and see something there is set to power save mode or something?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
This could also be a known issue with GTA4. When looking online keep an eye out for similar issues that other people might have faced.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
OK.

Can you look into power management settings and see something there is set to power save mode or something?

Are the drivers etc. ok, from what's mentioned in that specs file? The power mode is set to HP recommended and not power saver. What does the power management mode have to do with this?

This could also be a known issue with GTA4. When looking online keep an eye out for similar issues that other people might have faced.

Will be trying what the YT videos are saying and that Rockstar fix-

gta iv issues - Google Searc

Issues with GTA IV showing video cards with over 2GB as under spec – Rockstar Suppor

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
You need to check deeper into power options. There might be an option of selecting Intel graphics to save power.

Also the other things suggested above might help.

About driver versions, I am not too sure as I don't have any recent experience with NVidia.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
You need to check deeper into power options. There might be an option of selecting Intel graphics to save power.

Also the other things suggested above might help.

About driver versions, I am not too sure as I don't have any recent experience with NVidia.

These are the options under the current plan selected by default-
*oi64.tinypic.com/14y2xb8.jpg

Do I need to change anything? Will try the above posted links and will post the result here.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
There must be someway to disable the onboard GPU permanently, at least for playing the game. You can later turn it back on when you are done. An option in the BIOS perhaps.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
There must be someway to disable the onboard GPU permanently, at least for playing the game. You can later turn it back on when you are done. An option in the BIOS perhaps.

Need more insights on that brother. The fixes posted RG's forum aren't helpful.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Have your checked for the settings in the BIOS? You could also try disabling your integrated GPU from the device manager.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Which laptop are you using? Post make and model and I will see if I can find some info on how to access its BIOS.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Hold your horses! After further reading it seems to be a limitation from GTA IV itself and Rockstar's refusal to update it.

Go here and read carefully 3rd to 7th posts on the page.
Follow the instructions to create commandline.txt file and then try.

*forums.geforce.com/default/topic/7...dia-geforce-740m-2-gb-graphics-card/?offset=5

There is another official looking page saying similar things here Issues with GTA IV showing video cards with over 2GB as under spec – Rockstar Suppor

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Hold your horses! After further reading it seems to be a limitation from GTA IV itself and Rockstar's refusal to update it.

*forums.geforce.com/default/topic/7...dia-geforce-740m-2-gb-graphics-card/?offset=5

There is another official looking page saying similar things here Issues with GTA IV showing video cards with over 2GB as under spec – Rockstar Suppor

This seems pretty much spot on.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect

This seems pretty much spot on.

I created a commandline text file with this -norestrictions -nomemrestrict The graphics(the menu photo and the loading photos of the characters) became great but the game never started as it kept on loading maybe as the resource usage was still in red. Then I created a file with availablevidmem 70.0, didn't use the "-" sign hope thats ok, the resource usage increased and I was able to increase the texture, shadow settings. If I selected the max settings the game became like I was playing it in slow motion. It works fine if only high settings are selected. The graphics on the other hand are not that good. Playable but it hurts your eyes. Is there anything more that can be done? The graphics with -norestrictions -nomemrestrict were awesome.

I have created the text file, do I need to do this-

Note that these command lines can be added immediately after the last quotation mark in the target parameter of the program shortcut.

Locate the shortcut to the video game on your desktop.
Right click the file and select Properties.
Under the shortcut tab, you will see an area that says Target, this will list the exact location of the file within quotation marks.
Modify the Target adding the command line variables after the last quotation mark.
Press apply and start your game via the shortcut.

Issues with GTA IV showing video cards with over 2GB as under spec – Rockstar Suppor

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Adding the commands either to the program launch shortcut or to the command text file should have the same effect.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
This issue is not laptop specific. Even on my Desktop, I have been trying to play this game on Windows 10 with no success so far. I will try the command line option and see if that helps. I have the DVD version which I bought when the game released, but I never really finished the game. Is there any place where I can download the latest patch (apart from the official one posted in this thread) and also remove the requirement to put in the DVD each time? Are there any community patches for this game?

Top Bottom