GSkill RAM Query...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hell_storm2006

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi Everyone,
I want to know that how would you guys rate GSkill RAM's? I have bought two GSkill RAM's of 2GB 800 MHz. Model nos. F2-6400CL5S-2GBPQ. Could you rate their RAM's out of 10. Thanks.

Power_user_EX

Searching for Anti-Matter
G-skill : 8.5 to 9 out of 10.
for G-skill Pi Series : 9.5/10
OCZ : 8.5 to 9 out of 10.
Corsair : 9 to 10 out of 10.
Corsair sticks r very overclockable.

Demonkiller

4Ghz Here I come !
Corsair sticks r very overclockable.

Not necessarily, the Dominator series are usually good but the XMS2, like the one I own barely make it over 1000mhz.
My 1066 Mhz XMS2 cant even run at stock speeds. I have to underclock them to 1000 Mhz.

@OP
G. Skill ram OC like crazy. They usually come with D9's so 1000mhz is easy...

Power_user_EX

Searching for Anti-Matter
Hmm not the xm2 i meant the DHX-XMS2 i am having it - 2x2GB @ 4-4-4-12 rated at 800mhz.

I don't need to overclock mine coz it works best in sync mode with q6600 having FSB : DRAM ratio of 1:1[Locked]. (Upto 400Mhz FSB. Over 400Mhz FSB i have to OC my ram - that will be the case OCing processors having 1333 FSB and mine has 1066.)

Many who have it have oc'ed the heck out of it.

After the loosening the timings to 5-5-5-15/12 it has been reported to overclock upto 1100 Mhz.

Loosening the timings more will make it less efficient so rarely can expect it to OC till 1200Mhz.

overlclock3d.net managed it overclock upto 1149MHZ with 5-5-5-12 @ 2.3 V !!!
Here is the review : [Click] Goto page 3 which is of more interest.
Also it overclocks to 883Mhz at stock settings - thats impressive!

For OCZ reaperX PC2-6400 max overclock was 1098 mhz!
Link : [click]

OK i know it hard to believe me - but go and look out the review for Corsair XMS2 DHX with CAS-L of 4 or C4.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Not necessarily, the Dominator series are usually good but the XMS2, like the one I own barely make it over 1000mhz.
My 1066 Mhz XMS2 cant even run at stock speeds. I have to underclock them to 1000 Mhz.

@OP
G. Skill ram OC like crazy. They usually come with D9's so 1000mhz is easy...

XMS2 are quite good considering the price ,, oc depends on the chip too :p .. my friend runs his ddr2-800 XMS2 on a 650i at 1066 MHz , 5-5-5-15 , 2.0v ... and runs absolutely stable :) ...

The DHX model that i use does 800 MHz , 4-4-4-12 @ 1.9v easy :p .. due to some strap issues i couldn't push it over 1100 on my mobo :( , but it did 1066 , 5-5-5-15 @ 2.0v on my mobo ... the DHX has that slight edge over standard XMS2 modules at those last few MHz's .. otherwise XMS2 chips are just fine for standard oc :) ... its mostly some chip limitations that prevent high ram oc , for now i'm stuck to the strap issue on my mobo .. its either a chipset limitation or a bios limitation .. donno ,, but i don't complain about the performance ..

GSkill ram's are very nice btw :) .. but i fell for the better hs on the corsair DHX modules :p ...

Last edited:

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Gskill have some good kits.Also they are comparitively cheaper.
Corsair is excellent but the price of their high end kits just puts me off.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
they arent officially imported in India by any major importer.
Prime ABGB in Mumbai have imported some kits. Its available there.

OP
H

hell_storm2006

Ambassador of Buzz
GSkill RAM's are more expensive than Transcend but cheaper than Corsair by about Rs.200 - Rs. 300 minimum!!! The best thing is they come with a custom heat sink!!! That helps in keeping them working better!!! And by far their RAM's look awesome far better than any other RAM's in the market!!! :D

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Heatspreaders are useless. They are just for the sake of looks and do not contribute in cooling much. RAM without heatspreaders and with good air cooling can remain cooler and clock better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom