Graphics Cards related queries here.

monkey

Padawan
EVGA was being handled by Tirupati Enterprises but they never pushed the product. Infact Tirupati guys were in touch with me before they intorduced EVGA in India (Me and my freinds had bought few EVGA products through Yantra Online back in 2008 and the Tirupati distributor in Delhi knew me well) as they wanted to know about acceptability of the brand. I had told them superlatively about it but I think they were happy selling MSI and Zotac brands and never bothered about EVGA. Or maybe Zotac asked them to choose between them and EVGA and Tirupati chose Zotac.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I was shocked to know this actually. This is one of the main reason EVGA cards have such high value, at least in US and UK. People just exchange their old cards with new cards every 2-3 years by paying the difference, i think its in MSRP but not the current value of the card. I just can't believe this model exist in market, though only in developed countries.
I think that is EVGA Step Up which is only applicable for first 90 days.
What I was referring to was purchasing extended warranty (from 3 years to 5 years, with 30 USD, or 3 years to 10 years with 60 usd).
Ofcourse they would replace the card with a similar performing card, if original is not available.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I think that is EVGA Step Up which is only applicable for first 90 days.
What I was referring to was purchasing extended warranty (from 3 years to 5 years, with 30 USD, or 3 years to 10 years with 60 usd).
Ofcourse they would replace the card with a similar performing card, if original is not available.
Ah, then that is what many users US users seem to be doing. Thanks for correcting me.
Extending warranty sounds so good that it is rare. EVGA is truly a good brand in terms of customer services, at least in US.

I don't trust Zotac GPUs even though they are quiet popular here for their extended warranty, since I have read some bad experiences on Indiangaming subreddit and their subpar quality.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
sigh, no decent GPUs left for us then other than Asus I guess. Anyway, Apart from zotac the only graphic cards we are getting are all from some motherboard manufacturers.

I mean zotac, xfx, sapphire and evga all made motherboards from time to time but GPU was their top priority unlike GB, Asus or MSI.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
EVGA is the only vendor that offers upgradable warranty on their GPUs. Not sure if they did that when they were here.
Its too bad GPU being such a high value item can become a paperweight if warranty expires and it dies.
Nope, the only warranties on offer here were the 3-year warranties that used to be labeled C1 in their GPU chart IIRC.

Also I don't think EVGA still does these 10-year and lifetime warranty programmes any more (the A1 and K1 parts IIRC), but feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

If you visit western forums, Zotac gets thrashed heavily there since the quality isn't great.

I used a reference design GTX 780 from Zotac for years without problems.

Also, I think ever since the founders edition nonsense started, factory overclocked reference cards have become somewhat of a rarity, haven't they?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
*www.evga.com/warranty/extended/

This is where I got the info from, is this page outdated ?

Thread from 2020 talking about extended warranty
*forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3027262&p=1

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
EVGA was being handled by Tirupati Enterprises but they never pushed the product. Infact Tirupati guys were in touch with me before they intorduced EVGA in India (Me and my freinds had bought few EVGA products through Yantra Online back in 2008 and the Tirupati distributor in Delhi knew me well) as they wanted to know about acceptability of the brand. I had told them superlatively about it but I think they were happy selling MSI and Zotac brands and never bothered about EVGA. Or maybe Zotac asked them to choose between them and EVGA and Tirupati chose Zotac.
Speaking of Tirupati, what happened to these guys? Their overclockerszone website looks like it hasn't had new parts for years, and I don't even know if they're still in the business.

Does anybody know?

I was shocked to know this actually. This is one of the main reason EVGA cards have such high value, at least in US and UK. People just exchange their old cards with new cards every 2-3 years by paying the difference, i think its in MSRP but not the current value of the card. I just can't believe this model exist in market, though only in developed countries.

EVGA was doing their step-up program pretty much forever during the old Geforce days, even with the 7000 and 8000 series. In India I don't think this program was ever offered, since step-up was handled directly by EVGA AFAIK.

India does force any business dealing in electronics to offer these kinds of schemes, which is why you are seeing all those mobile phone cashback offers where you get a pitiful sum as exchange bonus on any new purchase, but all it's led to is actually increasing the cost for the consumer. In fact if you look carefully, these rules came into force in 2016, via the Extended Producer Responsibility Act. I've been dealing with so much BS getting into this line of business, it just boggles my mind what kind of diabolical personality one needs to have to come up with regulations as insanely designed as these. It's like they never learned basic economics.

And instead of learning from their mistakes, they're now repeating them with scrappage rules for the automobile industry!

Last edited:

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Speaking of Tirupati, what happened to these guys? Their overclockerszone website looks like it hasn't had new parts for years, and I don't even know if they're still in the business.

Does anybody know?

EVGA was doing their step-up program pretty much forever during the old Geforce days, even with the 7000 and 8000 series. In India I don't think this program was ever offered, since step-up was handled directly by EVGA AFAIK.

India does force any business dealing in electronics to offer these kinds of schemes, which is why you are seeing all those mobile phone cashback offers where you get a pitiful sum as exchange bonus on any new purchase, but all it's led to is actually increasing the cost for the consumer. In fact if you look carefully, these rules came into force in 2016, via the Extended Producer Responsibility Act. I've been dealing with so much BS getting into this line of business, it just boggles my mind what kind of diabolical personality one needs to have to come up with regulations as insanely designed as these. It's like they never learned basic economics.

And instead of learning from their mistakes, they're now repeating them with scrappage rules for the automobile industry!

Then how much time it will take for them to realize Computer Parts also should have these kind of schemes. I don't even want to spend more than 10K on GPU knowing it will lose all the value once the warranty is over. Resorting to local marketplace will be the only option. GST was applied right away on all the computer parts when it was enforced but good things will never come.

For the bold part, You mean this scheme is bad?

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Then how much time it will take for them to realize Computer Parts also should have these kind of schemes. I don't even want to spend more than 10K on GPU knowing it will lose all the value once the warranty is over. Resorting to local marketplace will be the only option. GST was applied right away on all the computer parts when it was enforced but good things will never come.

For the bold part, You mean this scheme is bad?

Computer parts already have these schemes. All electronics producers and sellers have to meet government-set quotas on accepting and processing e-waste. If the quotas are not met, there are massive penalties. Resellers usually get away with it because they can just claim partnership with their suppliers, where the former will handle all this.

Usually they hire outside entities to handle this, and pay them anywhere between 50-100k every year depending on scale, and whether they have met their quotas or not.

The scheme is bad because of how it has been designed. E-waste management is absolutely essential, but not in this ineffective manner which just increases cost.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Why all of a sudden Graphic cards are out of stock on mdcomputers & why the GTX 1660 Super is costing 49,990/- on Amazon? Last time I checked it was about 22k.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Man, the days when you could do PC gaming for less...

I remember my first build, with an 8800GT for 12.5k.

Next build was SLI GTX 580s (3GB units) for 70k.

Then came a GTX 780 when I went to college. That one was 750 loonies (taxes suck).

Now to buy a graphics card of a comparable tier in the contemporary era one has to spend north of INR 80k on a single piece to even hit the starting line...

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
I guess Corona is also somewhat responsible for all this. Supplies have been affected while demand has gone up due to more people staying at home. Then there has been some increase in import duties as well.

This is possibly the worst time to buy a gaming PC. Will probably be cheaper if you bought a console now, then sold it off a year later and bought a gaming PC.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
I guess Corona is also somewhat responsible for all this. Supplies have been affected while demand has gone up due to more people staying at home. Then there has been some increase in import duties as well.

This is possibly the worst time to buy a gaming PC. Will probably be cheaper if you bought a console now, then sold it off a year later and bought a gaming PC.
I have never heard of prices for PC components ever falling in India. New models just get introduced at slightly higher prices than the launch price of the previous generation, and one generation older components just get a small 2-5% discount.

The budget stuff probably doesn't even get that much.

Top Bottom