MY PSU IS

Model : Iball LPE 223-400
+3.3v :25A
+5V :32a
-5A :0.3a
+12A :17A
-12A :0.8A
+5VSB :2A

plz tell me if it isnt work for MSI Nvidia 9400gt.

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

And my processor is intel core 2 duo E6550

my monitor is Viewsonic( dont know model no.) but 17 inch widescreen.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: PSU

@topgear
The ambient temperature of my system is around 35-37c at idle periods and goes upto 40c max. I have a pretty decent cooling environment. A cooling fan at the front and one at the back and another at an angle to the graphics card so that the system doesnt get hot from the heatsink of the card. Sadly there is no provision to make wind blow through the North-southbridge chips and the RAM modules.
Here is the rest of my config:
Core2Duo E4400 (OCed to 2.6GHz)
2GB Ram 667 Mhz
3 7200 rpm Hdds Having a temperature of max 46c at maximum load.
8600GT (Core: 600Mhz Memory:750Mhz)
I havent OCed the graphics card since it is already been factory OCed.

BTW I cant seem to be able to upload the screenshot with the upload attachments tab :/

You have front Fan on the cabby ?? 80mm or 120mm. Your HDD Temps are also higher. They should be 44 ( max ).

The reason your HDD and GFX cards temp is high enough is - 3Hdds you have is choking the air intake off the front fan. So it's not able to push the cold air outside of your cabby into the hot part of the system. So the air flow is not working correctly.

Your cards idle temp is somewhat OK. But it's loading temp is too high due to not so good ventilation.

The side fan you have is mounted as intake/exhaust ?? Mount it as intake. If possible try removing one HDD. Clean all HW component of your PC including all fans. Take a look at the gfx card fan if it's working properly.

BTW, when did you bought that gfx card. It would be great if you can post your gfx cards exact model name and number.

MY PSU IS

Model : Iball LPE 223-400
+3.3v :25A
+5V :32a
-5A :0.3a
+12A :17A
-12A :0.8A
+5VSB :2A

plz tell me if it isnt work for MSI Nvidia 9400gt.

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

And my processor is intel core 2 duo E6550

my monitor is Viewsonic( dont know model no.) but 17 inch widescreen.

Though your PSu is not that great but it's enough to handle the load of your present system with the gfx card as 9400Gt only consumes around 25-30W.

Did you enabled the gfx card as primary display in BIOS. Did you set the onboard gfx to disabled ? What mobo do you have ( name and model no. ) ??

Did you installed gfx card drivers ??

Try installing downloading fresh drivers for your gfx card from nvidia and install them.

Once done reboot and Check your monitors refresh rate by right click on desktop > properties > settings > Check the resolution and set it to 1280*1024 ( if it's not a widescreen monitor ) > click on advanced > monitor and set the refresh rate to 60Hz

swap_too_fast

Broken In
CHeck my previous posts

Though your PSu is not that great but it's enough to handle the load of your present system with the gfx card as 9400Gt only consumes around 25-30W.

Did you enabled the gfx card as primary display in BIOS. Did you set the onboard gfx to disabled ? What mobo do you have ( name and model no. ) ??

Did you installed gfx card drivers ??

Try installing downloading fresh drivers for your gfx card from nvidia and install them.

Once done reboot and Check your monitors refresh rate by right click on desktop > properties > settings > Check the resolution and set it to 1280*1024 ( if it's not a widescreen monitor ) > click on advanced > monitor and set the refresh rate to 60Hz

Please check my previous post with my problem......
i check my GFX card box, it says requirements are PSU with 300W( 12v with 18A).
MY PSU is with 400W( 12v with 17A)....

is that 1A difference in requirement is causing me problem?

Last edited:

warfreak

Talk to the hand!!!
Re: PSU

You have front Fan on the cabby ?? 80mm or 120mm. Your HDD Temps are also higher. They should be 44 ( max ).

The reason your HDD and GFX cards temp is high enough is - 3Hdds you have is choking the air intake off the front fan. So it's not able to push the cold air outside of your cabby into the hot part of the system. So the air flow is not working correctly.

Your cards idle temp is somewhat OK. But it's loading temp is too high due to not so good ventilation.

The side fan you have is mounted as intake/exhaust ?? Mount it as intake. If possible try removing one HDD. Clean all HW component of your PC including all fans. Take a look at the gfx card fan if it's working properly.

BTW, when did you bought that gfx card. It would be great if you can post your gfx cards exact model name and number.

Well I thoroughly cleaned the cabinet yesterday and tucked away all the cables so that they don't obstruct the airflow. My hdd bay is wide enough to let the air from the front fan pass through the system. Now the system is quite cool even after running it continuously for 4-5 hrs.
My cabinet doesn't have a default front fan, I removed the floppy drive slots in the front and fitted an 80mm fan in its place. What exactly do you mean by configuring the side fan as intake? Should I make it blow air towards the heatsink area or suck air from the heatsink area?
BTW my graphics card heating problem is solved now. It was still under warranty so I got it replaced. Now the load temperature is 63-64c max that too only for high end games like Crysis and Section 8.
However the idle temperature is still on the high side (50c) though it might be because the 8600 chipset gets pretty hot by default. Would it be sensible to buy a cooling kit for such low end card? I am going to upgrade in march next year so I need a temporary cooling solution till then.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

@ swap_too_fast - I know your PSU is rated at 17A on +12V rail but that's not even necessary for cards like 9400GT. Your total system power consumption is around 185 watt ( assuming 1 HDD, 1 ODD, 2 Rams and 3 fans ) max but your psu can deliver around 204 with it's +12V rail. BTW, How old your PSU is ?? and how many HDDs you have ??

@ warfreak - so dust was the culprit for your overheating gfx card , eh ? Glad to hear that now it's solved. Your cabby does not have provision for a front fan though it should have as front fans are very important for a perfectly ventilated cabby though it's good that you have managed to tuck in a 80mm one anyway :p

By intake I meant - make it blow air towards the heatsink. BTW, By referring to heatsink do you pointing to gfx card's heatsink area or the cpu's heat sink area ?

The idle and load temps you are getting now is perfectly fine and you don't need to buy a gfx card cooler.

warfreak

Talk to the hand!!!

Thanks! :)
The fan is directed towards the heatsink of the gfx card. If you say the temperatures are ok then I guess I dont have to buy a vga cooler.

Hey I guys I need some help regarding my. There I s a problem going with my from last 7 days .The problem is when I play games like saboteur and fallout 3,whole screen goes pink although some parts of the game are still visible and i have to restart my pc. Alt-tab doesn't work. So i set the gfx settings to low on fallout 3 and lunched the game, now the game stops responding.
My config:-
Intel Core2Q6600
Intel DG33bu MOBO
Geforce 8600GT [195.62 driver]
2x1GB RAM
Windows 7 Ult 64bit
PSU GlacialStars GS-500A [ATX 12V 2.2V]

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Hey I guys I need some help regarding my. There I s a problem going with my from last 7 days .The problem is when I play games like saboteur and fallout 3,whole screen goes pink although some parts of the game are still visible and i have to restart my pc. Alt-tab doesn't work. So i set the gfx settings to low on fallout 3 and lunched the game, now the game stops responding.
My config:-
Intel Core2Q6600
Intel DG33bu MOBO
Geforce 8600GT [195.62 driver]
2x1GB RAM
Windows 7 Ult 64bit
PSU GlacialStars GS-500A [ATX 12V 2.2V]

Are you on the latest Forceware, and Dx

^ i am on the latest forceware . And the directx that comes with DiRT2 dvd which i assume should be latest.

is it pink or reddish to be specific, if so check your vga cable,what type of vdu you have.
Its pink.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Did you install anything new on your system. OS or something else. Do the cable check, else seems like a GPU issue.

DarkDante

Journeyman

thx desii, so ill get 9800 now an den wait fr 5850 to come down.
Crysis+MW2, here i come!!!

@asigh, offtopic, why you change your avatar so frequently, this one sucks , i know he is Nagarjuna,

@jojothedragon, then its not vga cable problem, might be with gfx drivers.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

@asigh, offtopic, why you change your avatar so frequently, this one sucks , i know he is Nagarjuna,

Just like it. I get bored of the old one real quick. Plus am a big South Indian hero (and heroine) fan being North Indian. Nagaaa....is kewl. Still remember him in Shiva (original RGV)
:)
Well sorry if it does not appease you, next one might (all ready thought of it).

amitjha

Broken In

Palit 9600GT 512MB 4.8K
Gigabyte 450watts - 2.5K

thanx 4 ur reply, are you referring to the normal 9600GT or the 9600GT SUPER. Also I have recently purchased a 450Watt PSU from frontech, so if i can purchase a better GFX card from the moolah saved then plz suggest one... thanx in advance..

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

DISCLAIMER:
Please do not take these as writing in stone. Just my logic and reasoning. Open for debate...as always.

Many times we debate the CPU: GPU ratio, primarily because the CPU feeds the data to the GPU. A CPU bottle neck (in this post CPU bottle neck is referred to bottle necking the GPU, no other computer device) in layman terms can be described as "the CPU is holding back the GPU in terms of processing. The GPU has to 'wait' for the CPU to send it more data to process." So I decided to run some benchmarks tests to verify this. Also if people find this logical, they can use the same method(s) to check their CPU bottleneck.

Methodology:
1. Installed Rivatuner (for load monitoring).
2. Patched .CFG file to realize the HD4890 GPU.
3. Started the Hardware Monitoring on Rivatuner -- let system idle for 15-20 seconds.
4. Ran specific 3D stress utility.
5. Upon exit of (4) at times automatic or manual again let system idle for 15-20 seconds.
6. Made screenshot of Rivatuner.

System Specifications:
CPU : E7400 (Wolfdale - 3M)
FSB X Multiplier : 381 Mhz x 10.5 = 4.00 Ghz

Motherboard : MSI Platinum
Chipset : P45 Intel Eaglelake/Intel 82801JR ICH10R
Bios Version : AMI v1.06 (02/20/2009)

Ram : Corsair XMS2 CM2X2048-8500C5 4 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 @ 1016 Mhz.
Latency : 5-5-5-15

Graphic Card : PowerColor HD4890 [Xfire]
ATI Catalyst Version : 9.11

DirectX API: DirectX 10

CrossfireX : ON
Screen Resolution : 1980 x 1080
Motion Blur : OFF -- where available
VSynx : OFF -- where available

Below are the results of the stressing software, along with the settings used. I used two synthetic tests Unigine and Furmark and three real life games Crysis Warhead (via the benchmark utility), Resident Evil 5 (via the benchmark utility), and COD:MW2 (real play)

Unigine Dx11 Benchmarking Tool:
*img263.imageshack.us/img263/7383/unigenesetting.png
*img214.imageshack.us/img214/4350/unigene.png
This tool does not use the second CPU core. And quite strongly stresses the CPU. You can see both GPUs are getting almost 100% stressed. At one point 75% CPU usage = 97% GPU usage. Does not seem like a CPU bottle neck.

Furmark:
*img109.imageshack.us/img109/5074/furmarksetting.png
*img214.imageshack.us/img214/4076/furmark.png
This tool also does not understand multi CPU cores. At one point 100% CPU Usage = 99% GPU usage. Could be a CPU bottle neck.

Crysis Warhead:
*img63.imageshack.us/img63/231/crysiswarheadsetting.png
*img63.imageshack.us/img63/497/crysiswarhead.png
Here both cores are definately being used by the game. The point highlighted by me shows a nice ratio of the CPUs working average 75% and both GPUs getting 100% load. Seem like no bottle neck here.

Resident Evil 5:
Setting used: AA=2x; Shadow Detail = high ; Texture Detail = high ; Overall Quality = high
*img263.imageshack.us/img263/5229/residentevilv.png
Here again both cores are being used. The CPU usage here is higher, but not at 100%. The GPUs are not being full used here. Here I feel, the game was being rendered 'easy'. So the GPUs were not stressed 100%. The benchmark showed me around 115 FPS overall.

COD:Modern Warefare 2:
Setting Used: AA=2x;Shadows,Specular Map,Depth of Field, Soft Smoked Edges, Ragdoll, Bullet Impact = Y ; Texture Quality = Automatic
*img63.imageshack.us/img63/944/codmw2.png
Both CPU cores are being used, and the GPUs are well stressed too. The GPUs are getting enough data, without the CPU stopping the process.

Overall Summary:
My system has a CPU bottleneck -- but not major hindrance. It is able to render satisfactory on 1980 x 1080 and stresses the cards well. FPS is decent. Yes I should have mentioned FPS here, but honestly, all games are playable.
So what you guys say...! Hope this helps others figure out their systems, or future purchases/upgrades.

ashu@digit

Broken In

Hi All,

Can you pls. suggest me GUP with in 7000/-

My System config.....

Intel DG965RY Board
4 GB RAM (800)
450 wt. (Power Supp.)

Top Bottom