Graphics Cards related queries here.

Darthvader

Back From Deathstar
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

Since i see there is mighty confusion all around let me poke in
@ vibhu : u dont need to change ur mobo since u found out it already has the x300 gpu which is more than enough for running the current crop of games at medium to low details.
Hell it can even run oblivion

anandrules

Broken In

hey i am getting a brand new Sapphire ATI Radeon x1600 pro for around 5-6k. Is it a good deal?? How does it compare with nvidia 6600GT?? can i run new games @ medium/high settings and res=1024*768 ?

Darthvader

Back From Deathstar

X1600 Pro = 4 pixel pipelines, 12 pixel shading units, 5 vertex units, 128-bit interface. Clocks 500/780.

6600GT = 8 pixel pipelines, 8 pixel shading units, 3 vertex units, 128-bit interface. Clocks 500/900.

Hence both are good enough but due to the easilty overclockable nature of the 6600gt it may have an advantage.

Anyways the competition is close
radeon leads in FEAR, Oblivion and many other card hungry benchmarks
So its a good buy

anandrules

Broken In

yups it has 12 pipelines...here are the specs

SpecificationsModel
Brand :SAPPHIRE
Model :100148L

Interface: AGP 4X/8X

Chipset Manufacturer: ATI
GPU :Radeon X1600PRO
Core clock: 500MHz
PixelPipelines: 12
Memory
Memory Clock: 800MHz
Memory Size :256MB
Memory Interface: 128-bit
Memory Type :GDDR2
3D API
DirectX :DirectX 9
OpenGL :OpenGL 2.0
Ports
D-SUB :1
DVI :1
TV-Out HDTV/S-Video/Composite Out
VIVO No
General
Tuner None
RAMDAC 400 MHz
Max Resolution 2560x1600
Cooler Heatsink and Fan
Operating Systems Supported Windows 2000/XP

Features :Avivo Technology
Smoothvision HD
Adaptive AA
Vido acceleration of :MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, WMV9, VC-1, and H.264

vibhu

Right off the assembly line

Thanks John...i asked my dealer about the mobo but he says he has got only Ati Radeon mobo and when i asked him the model no. he said he doesnt know it...my computer is in warranty period so i dont want anyone else to open it..what should i do, should i go elsewhere and see if i find the asus mobo or take the ati mobo...n please tel me whether the geforce 6500 is good for playing aoe3 or not...and does it make any large difference if the card if of 128MB or 256MB??
regards vibhu

vibhu

Darthvader said:
Since i see there is mighty confusion all around let me poke in
@ vibhu : u dont need to change ur mobo since u found out it already has the x300 gpu which is more than enough for running the current crop of games at medium to low details.
Hell it can even run oblivion

Hi Deathvader, my mobo doesnt have an integaretd x300, the mobo suggested by John, Asus P5RD1-VM has it...but it isnt supported by my processor....

Amish

hi there folks
I own a mercury 845e motherboard with intel p4 2.4gh chipset
i need to know wat graphic card sopports my pc

UNREAL

Broken In

Well I think If ur Mobo has an AGP slot then it must be 4x ! but u can use Any 8x AGP card ona 4x AGp slot ! Well rest al depends on ut Mobo n ur BUDGET!

MysticHalo

Your Maker.

Amish said:
hi there folks
I own a mercury 845e motherboard with intel p4 2.4gh chipset
i need to know wat graphic card sopports my pc
AGP 4x...get x1300 Pro IMO...cheap and good

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain

vibhu said:
Thanks John...i asked my dealer about the mobo but he says he has got only Ati Radeon mobo and when i asked him the model no. he said he doesnt know it...my computer is in warranty period so i dont want anyone else to open it..what should i do, should i go elsewhere and see if i find the asus mobo or take the ati mobo...n please tel me whether the geforce 6500 is good for playing aoe3 or not...and does it make any large difference if the card if of 128MB or 256MB??
regards vibhu

Well u could talk to compaq and see if they are able to make the upgrade. No idea about their policy and upgrade procedure. And why ask a single vendor about the mobo. If u want to buy, then search other shops and I am sure that u will get the mobo u want.

Geforce 6500 is good but only as an entry level gfx card. I would still suggest that u get atleast geforce 6600 128MB card. A 256MB 6500 or 6600 is not worth the money, as the memory bandwidth of 64-bit and 128-bit respectively, will not be able to use the 256MB memory efficiently.

And see if u have doubts and don't want anyone to "open" ur PC then might as well talk to compaq and see what they have to say about ur query.

Darthvader

Back From Deathstar

drvarunmehta said:
Actually the X1600 Pro has 12 pixel pipelines as reported by Everest Ultimate Edition.

Actually u got confused :D
read this from wikipedia :
X1600 uses the RV530 core, a core that is quite a bit different from the RV515 or X1300 and the R520 of X1800. The X1600 is positioned to replace Radeon X600 and Radeon X700 as ATI's mid-range GPU.

It shares design philosophy with the X1900, in that it has a far different ratio of pixel shader processors. ATI has stated that the X1600 is designed with a far greater shader computational load, a prediction of future game workloads. Whereas the X1300 and X1800 have an equal pixel shader to texturing unit ratio, which targets a more equal workload of shaders and texturing in games, the RV530 of X1600 alters this to 12 pixel shaders and 4 texturing units. The chip's single "quad" has 3 pixel shader processors per pipeline.

So x1600 has 4 pixel pipelines each having 3 shader units thus equaling 12 pixel shader units not piprlines

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl

Usually cards have 1 shader unit per pipeline, but the X1600 has 3 shader units per pipeline, so effectively it gives the performance of 12 pipelines while actually having only 4. While the 6600GT has 8 pipelines and 1 shader unit per pipeline so it gives the performance of 8 pipelines.
Did I get that right?

anandrules

Broken In

Darthvader said:
Actually u got confused :D
read this from wikipedia :

So x1600 has 4 pixel pipelines each having 3 shader units thus equaling 12 pixel shader units not piprlines

hmm but the site i am buying for mentions specifically that there are 12 pixel pipelines. Y do they do that??

Darthvader

Back From Deathstar

drvarunmehta said:
Usually cards have 1 shader unit per pipeline, but the X1600 has 3 shader units per pipeline, so effectively it gives the performance of 12 pipelines while actually having only 4. While the 6600GT has 8 pipelines and 1 shader unit per pipeline so it gives the performance of 8 pipelines.
Did I get that right?

actually it really is confusing since wat u are saying is nvidia .
Ati actually uses quad i.e four pixel shaders per pipeline in their high powered cards. here it is 3 per pipeline.

So yes u cud say that but i think it is more advantageous to have more pipelines since the gt manages to catch up to the x1600 even wehn it has 8 pipelines

@anand : as dvarun said the performance is quite equal so they might have confused shaders and pipelines

Last edited:

anilthomas26

In the zone

i recently bought an eVGA 6800 GS 256mb.....
ma config is :

amd 64bit 2800+
asus k8n mobo
512mb ram

ma problem is that when i play games ma monitor flickers.....no like the refresh rate is low but like ther is some problem with the graphics........sometimes the grapphics is also very poor........at the same time i can play them perfectly properly sometimes........

i posted an enquiry before and one suggestion i got was to get an smps of higher wattage.....(earlier i had a 300watt smps).......so i got a new smps of 450W..........but still the problem persists.......

one think i noticed was that the current ratings across the 12 v rail was jst around 8amps.......is this the prob....?????? (i bought a cheap smps....800bugs....)........

i am posting a pic from riva tuner bout the vga bios info.....

*s58.photobucket.com/albums/g257/stanzlavos/?action=view&current=vgabios.jpg

i have circled a portion showing something bout a 6800gt in the vga bios info....... is their a problem with that.......

i upgraded my bios but did not help.......(is there any separated bios for the graphics card and themotherboard.....?).......i upgraded ma motherboard bios......(of ma asus k8n..).....

plzzzzz help me guys........though the card isnt a very great one........ i waited a long time to get it......plz help me guys.............plzzzzzzz

samrulez

Cyborg Agent

anilthomas26 said:
i recently bought an eVGA 6800 GS 256mb.....
ma config is :

amd 64bit 2800+
asus k8n mobo
512mb ram

ma problem is that when i play games ma monitor flickers.....no like the refresh rate is low but like ther is some problem with the graphics........sometimes the grapphics is also very poor........at the same time i can play them perfectly properly sometimes........

i posted an enquiry before and one suggestion i got was to get an smps of higher wattage.....(earlier i had a 300watt smps).......so i got a new smps of 450W..........but still the problem persists.......

one think i noticed was that the current ratings across the 12 v rail was jst around 8amps.......is this the prob....?????? (i bought a cheap smps....800bugs....)........

i am posting a pic from riva tuner bout the vga bios info.....

*s58.photobucket.com/albums/g257/stanzlavos/?action=view&current=vgabios.jpg

i have circled a portion showing something bout a 6800gt in the vga bios info....... is their a problem with that.......

i upgraded my bios but did not help.......(is there any separated bios for the graphics card and themotherboard.....?).......i upgraded ma motherboard bios......(of ma asus k8n..).....

plzzzzz help me guys........though the card isnt a very great one........ i waited a long time to get it......plz help me guys.............plzzzzzzz

Install the latest drivers,...........

Is there and speaker or magnetic thing kept near the monitor.?How old is the monitor?

Which monitor do u have?

Try the same card in some one else's PC (1 who has a good SMPS)

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent

I saw the demo today of Acer AL1916W but the native resolution of this is 1440 x 900 due to which I could not actually see it properly as I max could go 1280.

Which graphic card do I need to buy which can run this wide screen properly for graphic purpose at 1440x900 on intel 845 glad motherboard.

*www.shopireland.ie/electronic...il/B000CCB0OG/ at this link I read that I need to overclock the graphic card using powerstrip software is that the case, if so which cards allow better overclocking.

akshayt

Wise Old Owl

don't go blindly with 1600pro or any other card by just seeing specs, take a look at benchies.
xbitlabs.com/articles/video, shows much higher scores though, maybe expect half or so
hardocp.com
tomshardware.com etc, beware of each site and look at many

the core architecture may be differnt, can you comapres apples to oragnes

1900XT has 48 pixel shaders whiles 7900GTX only has 24, there are numerous benchies where 7900GTX sweeps even 1900XTX, but in others it may loose as well.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl

Depends hugely upon the game ur running ... 7900GTX will be better in OpenGL games specifically like Doom , Quake ... X1900XTX should be the better one at d3d games ....

Top Bottom