Graphics Cards related queries here.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

2.something GHz Pentium 4(NO HT)

If its a P4 .. then the mobo must be atleast 845 chipset one ... so its quite clear that it falls in the min. requirement category ... Take a look at this :

This one is on a Intel Extreme Graphics .... with 256 MB ram ..

*img190.imageshack.us/img190/6659/screen105lq.th.jpg

And this on a 6600GT , with 1 GB ram ..

*img386.imageshack.us/img386/839/age320050911100714818ed.th.jpg

The iq diff. is very noticeable ... now the guy with the 845 chipset mobo , ran it at 800*600 , with all the allowed settings to max .... so i don't see why it won't run with just 128 MB ram at medium settings , considering the fact that AoE II runs smooth with 128 MB ram at full settings. ....

Darthvader

Back From Deathstar

And dont 4get that the 915 chipset supports hardware shaders 2.0 so theoretically it can run Oblivion also .
I ran it on that and the performance is much bettr than the fx series
The fx series is really a blemish in Nvidia's superb cards

amigoatul

Broken In

Guys,

Im planning to order a video card through my cousin who is returning from America.Which card shud i go for ,the nvidia 7600GT or the 7900GT.Ive checked the prices on tigerdirect.com and they cost $170 and $300 respectively.Do you think i can manage my gaming requirements with the 7600GT?Or is the 7900GT worth the xtra dough??Im planning on playing action and racing games like NFSMW,Fear,COD2,Quake4 etc and the ones coming in the future.Im thinking abt going for the 7600GT so that i can add another card later to get the SLI going on my new sys (I'll be buying one this week).Pls suggest the best option.Also suggest a good SLI mobo for AMD 64 3200 939 pin cpu.And are the Altec Lansing MX5021 worth their price?

Reply soon coz i need to send my cousin the detailsabt the video card.Also please mention the brand ie BIG,XFX,eVGA etc. i shud go for the video card.
Will be waiting for ur suggestions.

Thanks
Atul

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl

The 7900GT is way better than the 7600GT, so it's up to you whether you want to spend the extra dough. It all boils down to the resolution you want to game at. If you have a 17" CRT, you probably can't go above 1280x960. Then the 7600GT will be enough for current games. If you want to play at a higher res get a 7900GT.
And please don't go with a 7600GT with SLI in mind. You might as well buy the 7900GT. Remember, 2x7600GT SLI = 7900GT.
eVGA, BFG, Leadtek are the brands you should look out for.

vibhu

Right off the assembly line
HI please help

Hi guys i am new here and i m new to these graphics cards also...i wish to buy a new graphics card and my friend has suggested me NVidia Geforce 6500 because my budget is under 5k, my pcs configuration is:

Compaq Presario Sr1430IL
Pentium 4 2.93 Ghz
512 MB Ram

And i do not know about motherboards and all, so any kind soul can please tell me whether i can use this card or not and please suggest me any other compatible card also...
regards vibhu

PS:You can check the compaq web site for more details which i couldnt understand

amigoatul

Broken In

Hey drvarunmehta,thanks for the reply.
Great point abt the resolution limitation with the 17inch CRT.
I think i will go for the 7600GT as i will be buying a 17inch crt.
Could u pls answer my other questions as well abt the mobo and spkrs.
Thanks again.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl

Best choice for an SLI mobo would be Asus A8N-SLI. And yes, the Altec Lansing MX5021 is worth the price. Actually anything that's THX certified can safely be considered as a really good product.

anilthomas26

In the zone

anilthomas26 said:
hey.......i had posted ma problem bfore......

i bought an evga 6800gs 256mb card.......

when i play games the monitor keeps flickering.......

ma config :

amd64bit 2800+
asus k8n mobo
512mb ram.....

one suggestion i got was to get a new smps of a higher wattage...( currently i am using a 300watt smps)....(i'll get ma new smps within 2 days).....

i jst wanted to add one more info so that any of u guys can help me.....

if start ma system and take the game imediately ther is no flickering....but i exit from the game and play after sometime the flickering begins........

help me guys......

hey.....i got a new smps.....its rated 450 watts....but the currents across the 5 and 12V rails are 15 and 8amps respectively...........

i played fear without any trouble for a day...and then the flickering started again...is it becoz my smps' ampearage is not gud......

help me..........

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

drvarunmehta said:
If you have a 17" CRT, you probably can't go above 1280x960.
Well, you CAN in some monitors. My monitor (Acer AF715) supports 1600x1200 at an impressive 75 Hertz. And at approximately Rs. 6,500, it is a steal. :)

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United

aryayush said:
Well, you CAN in some monitors. My monitor (Acer AF715) supports 1600x1200 at an impressive 75 Hertz. And at approximately Rs. 6,500, it is a steal. :)

And so, since he is also buying a 17" CRT as well, he might as well get this one (AF715) with a 7900GT. It's worth spending the money. Remember the prices here are much greater than that in the US...

vibhu

Re: HI please help

vibhu said:
Hi guys i am new here and i m new to these graphics cards also...i wish to buy a new graphics card and my friend has suggested me NVidia Geforce 6500 because my budget is under 5k, my pcs configuration is:

Compaq Presario Sr1430IL
Pentium 4 2.93 Ghz
512 MB Ram

And i do not know about motherboards and all, so any kind soul can please tell me whether i can use this card or not and please suggest me any other compatible card also...
regards vibhu

PS:You can check the compaq web site for more details which i couldnt understand

Guys, i need some help here, can anyone please help me out???

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain

@vibhu
Ur machine doesn't have a AGP/PCI-E slot, so u cannot install a gfx card. Well u could buy a PCI gfx card, but I wouldn't recommend that. Reason very hard to get and not worth it. Ur integrated video controller would be better than PCI gfx card. And ur Compaq mobo is:
Manufacturer: MSI
Motherboard Name: PTGD1-LA
Compaq motherboard name: Goldfish2-GL8E
see the hardware details here: *h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docume...product=462093&lang=en&docname=c00303969#N394

vibhu

Thanks for helping John, so if my computer doesnt have a PCIe slot then is there any way to fix this problem, like putttig a new PCIe slot or like buying a new motherboard?? but i can only spend about 10k for all that including the nvidia geforce 6500 whose cost is abt Rs.3500....Please help me, now i am really starting to hate my computer, its not even a year old...
regards vibhu

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain

Well u cannot put/install a pci-e slot...........But u could certainly but a new mobo.

U have a 775 socket processor so u could buy ASUS P5RD1-VM see details here : *www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=179&model=770&modelmenu=1

It has a pci-e slot and costs around 4-4.5K. So if u buy this plus the gfx card then it all comes within ur budget.
U could also try and get geforce 6600 or 6600gt gfx card. Check the price with local vendor, if 6600gt comes within ur budget (for 6600gt u must extend ur budget by around 2K) then buy it much better than 6500 and 6600.

vibhu

Hi john, it says it already has a radeon x300 gpu, does that mean that i'll have to first take that gpu out and then put the new one or i can install both simuntaneously?? and i m trying to minimize my budget to the maximum extent so i m thinking of buying th 6500, is it bad??
regards vibhu

vibhu

John, i just contacted my computer dealer and he said that my 2.93Ghz processor wont support the 800Mhz processor and he said that if i were to change the processor then it will altogether (alongwith geforce 6500) cost around 16k, and he says that i should go for 400Mhz Ati radeon processor...what should i do...is he correct?? i m confused...
regards vibhu

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl

John, i just contacted my computer dealer and he said that my 2.93Ghz processor wont support the 800Mhz processor and he said that if i were to change the processor then it will altogether (alongwith geforce 6500) cost around 16k, and he says that i should go for 400Mhz Ati radeon processor...what should i do...is he correct?? i m confused...
regards vibhu

This doesn't make any sense at all .. except the regards part i.e. ...

vibhu

Pardon?? i just said that my dealer is telling that the motherboard that john_the_ultimate suggested wont work with my 2.93Ghz processor...he says that if i want to buy that mobo then i need to buy a new processor...so he says that i should go for a 400Mhz ati radeon mobo...
Thats it
regards vibhu

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl

so he says that i should go for a 400Mhz ati radeon mobo...

Yeah .. thats what ... 400 MHz mobo ??? i don't get it ... was he implying the core speed of the onboard mobo ???

And what soket processor ru having ?? Skt. 478 or LGA 775 ... sometimes dealers just say stupid things just like that ...

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain

@deathvirus
Hi! john here.......well he has a socket 775, as per the specification given in compaq site.

The only thing is that his current proc. has FSB of 533 and the mobo I just suggested support FSB 800/1066. My mistake.

@ vibhu
U could see the following mobo, it supports both FSB 533/800 MHz. : *www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=170&model=1044&modelmenu=1

or u could see this mobo *www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=185&model=1022&modelmenu=1 , it supports FSB of 1066/800/533 MHz and also supports Dual-core processor (good for future upgrade). Don't know the prices, check with ur local vendor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom