Graphics Cards related queries here.

Shloeb

In the zone
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

I have a hd4850. I applied the fan hotfix and my card runs at 50 degrees idle. At extreme load it goes upto 65 degrees. If the weather is cool the card idles at 48 degrees.

Note: I don't have an AC so u will get lower temps if u have an AC

Shloeb

In the zone

corsair vx450w will be more than enough for that 4850. This PSU can even handle a 4870. No need for wasting money on CM600W or Corsair HX620W. VX450w retails at Rs.3250/-

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.

[thanks Shloeb for the exact price]

so, to sum it up, VX420 and 9800GTX+ ftw :D

happy gaming ;)

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...

This is wat i found:
1. *www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=2244
2. *techshop.in/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=118&products_id=2384

now what?

discounting CUDA(i dunno how much use it is), is an Nvidia 9800GTX+ for PhysX support really worth buying?
wat does PhysX offer that the HD48x0 and Ati cant?

imgame2

Padawan

umm without fan tweak its 80c... but with the tweak (keeping fanspped @ 44) i get 60c ,i use coolermaster 500w psu it cost me 2k... and btw refer to this month's digit review of graphics cards!!... they said 4850 even with ac @ 22c has a temp of 80c:confused:, well u cant blame them,but fan tweak works perfect :cool:

thanks again for replying i will buy the card within few days but i need to upgrade my psu too ..u say coolermaster 500W cost u 2k ? whereas wherever i have asked they say its 2.6k.and i don't know about digit review but as far as it works fine i have no problem with heat.

but as u say and as many people have said that fan tweak works,its fine with me.also somewhere i have read that bios update also fixes the heating problem ..have u tried updating the bios?

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

@mukherji , physX offers some performance benefit in unreal tournament 3. . not a great thing and it has been proved that it is possible on amd cards also. . if CUDA is something u want , get the 9800GTX+.. .its pricing is fantastic. .

*xtreview.com/addcomment-id-5631-view-9800GTX+-vs-HD-4850.html
*www.legitreviews.com/article/731/17/

between the two , whichever u buy , u wont be going wrong. .their gaming performance is neck to neck ..

amd offers dx10.1 and AA through shaders which will prove more advantageous in future.
nvidia offers cuda and physX officailly. .and no temp probs at all . .better OCing ability.

i dont think any games that seriously use dx10.1 to a large extent will come anytime soon. .and if u're really interested in CUDA. take the 9800GTX+. .

i think that settles it. . .my vote for the 9800GTX+ in ur case. ..but not worth a penny more than 13k.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...

@mukherji , physX offers some performance benefit in unreal tournament 3. . not a great thing and it has been proved that it is possible on amd cards also. . if CUDA is something u want , get the 9800GTX+.. .its pricing is fantastic. .

*xtreview.com/addcomment-id-5631-view-9800GTX+-vs-HD-4850.html
*www.legitreviews.com/article/731/17/

between the two , whichever u buy , u wont be going wrong. .their gaming performance is neck to neck ..

amd offers dx10.1 and AA through shaders which will prove more advantageous in future.
nvidia offers cuda and physX officailly. .and no temp probs at all . .better OCing ability.

i dont think any games that seriously use dx10.1 to a large extent will come anytime soon. .and if u're really interested in CUDA. take the 9800GTX+. .

i think that settles it. . .my vote for the 9800GTX+ in ur case. ..but not worth a penny more than 13k.

hmmmmm..dats it then...i use windows xp.....is physx available on win xp?
actually the situation is sooo confusing....i jus cant seem to make up my mind!
the question is simple...do i want physx+cuda or not? the answer is 'dont know'!
pathetic situation :| :p

9800gtx+ nd hd4850 are sooo neck to neck !! 8)

imgame2

Padawan

This is wat i found:
1. *www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=2244
2. *techshop.in/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=118&products_id=2384

now what?

discounting CUDA(i dunno how much use it is), is an Nvidia 9800GTX+ for PhysX support really worth buying?
wat does PhysX offer that the HD48x0 and Ati cant?

as u have said already u don't want to have two cards, then why bother for PhysX card ? as sagargv rightly pointed out the difference in performance with a physX card is not much.its basically required if u want to have real life physics in games,that is if a ball falls down from a height it bounces back and then its bouncing height dies down due to various factors like air drag,gravity,friction...etc.

a physX card will cost about 8k more (thats my guess cos its prices in uk is about 100 pounds) ...so with that amount + 3k more u can have hd4850 in crossfire or 9800 GTX+ in SLI which will give u more performance.personally i think PhysX will be a hit only if card maufacter put its chip on graphics card itself or makes the architecture itself to do what PhysX does.with the number of transistors on a single chip goes on rocketing.i don't think it will take time.but for now by all means in my opinion physx is not worth buying for a conscious buyer.

now coming to CUDA if u are not a professional photographer u will not need it atleast for few more years.

but photoshop CS4 will also support GPGPU technology on ati cards.
read here - *www.dvhardware.net/article27411.html

GPGPU technology is similar to CUDA for ATI cards u would like to read this -

"In November 2006 Nvidia launched CUDA, a SDK and API that allows a programmer to use the C programming language to code algorithms for execution on Geforce 8 series GPUs. AMD offers a similar SDK for their ATI-based GPUs and that SDK and technology is called CTM (Close to Metal), designed to compete directly with Nvidia's CUDA. CTM provides a thin hardware interface[clarify]. AMD has also announced the AMD Stream Processor product line (combining a CPU and a GPU technology on one chip. Compared, for example, to traditional floating point accelerators such as the 64-bit CSX600 boards from ClearSpeed that is used in today's supercomputers, current top-end GPUs from Nvidia and AMD emphasize single-precision (32-bit) computation; double-precision (64-bit) computation executes much slower."

link - *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPGPU

even though CS4.0 will be supporting CUDA right now,but i m sure they can't neglect ATI with this as they are software providers,if they stick to a particular hardware.it will only cost them harm.because i will buy ATI cards if they are good.if photoshop doesn't give support for ATI,i will use CS3.0 which is way enough for any professional digital artists need.

in short neither CUDA or Physx will not give any substantial edge in playing games.but as the two cards almost cost the same ..its ur choice.but i will prefer hd4850 for its shear performance.

Last edited:

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

@mukherjee , not sure about physX for xp . just like purevideoHD , even if its only for vista now , in a month or two drivers will support physX in xp too. .

like i already said , with either cards , u wont be going wrong.

if u are still finding it hard to decide , make a poll and request every1 to quote the reason why they made that choice.then u may get different views and others ideas.

@imgame2 , hd4850 (unOCed) does NOT beat 9800GTX+ in gaming performance all the time. sometime , it wins , sometimes looses depending on the game. all in all , 9800GTX+ wins by a very small margin and is better OCable than 4850 and has no temp probs which need to be solved. .

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.

as u have said already u don't want to have two cards, then why bother for PhysX card ? as sagargv rightly pointed out the difference in performance with a physX card is not much.its basically required if u want to have real life physics in games,that is if a ball falls down from a height it bounces back and then its bouncing height dies down due to various factors like air drag,gravity,friction...etc.

a physX card will cost about 8k more (thats my guess cos its prices in uk is about 100 pounds) ...so with that amount + 3k more u can have hd4850 in crossfire or 9800 GTX+ in SLI which will give u more performance.personally i think PhysX will be a hit only if card maufacter put its chip on graphics card itself or makes the architecture itself to do what PhysX does.with the number of transistors on a single chip goes on rocketing.i don't think it will take time.but for now by all means in my opinion physx is not worth buying for a conscious buyer.

now coming to CUDA if u are not a professional photographer u will not need it atleast for few more years.

but photoshop CS4 will also support GPGPU technology on ati cards.
read here - *www.dvhardware.net/article27411.html

GPGPU technology is similar to CUDA for ATI cards u would like to read this -

"In November 2006 Nvidia launched CUDA, a SDK and API that allows a programmer to use the C programming language to code algorithms for execution on Geforce 8 series GPUs. AMD offers a similar SDK for their ATI-based GPUs and that SDK and technology is called CTM (Close to Metal), designed to compete directly with Nvidia's CUDA. CTM provides a thin hardware interface[clarify]. AMD has also announced the AMD Stream Processor product line (combining a CPU and a GPU technology on one chip. Compared, for example, to traditional floating point accelerators such as the 64-bit CSX600 boards from ClearSpeed that is used in today's supercomputers, current top-end GPUs from Nvidia and AMD emphasize single-precision (32-bit) computation; double-precision (64-bit) computation executes much slower."

link - *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPGPU

even though CS4.0 will be supporting CUDA right now,but i m sure they can't neglect ATI with this as they are software providers,if they stick to a particular hardware.it will only cost them harm.because i will buy ATI cards if they are good.if photoshop doesn't give support for ATI,i will use CS3.0 which is way enough for any professional digital artists need.

in short neither CUDA or Physx will not give any substantial edge in playing games.but as the two cards almost cost the same ..its ur choice.but i will prefer hd4850 for its shear performance.

very well said abt the PhysX card, in simple words, it sux :D coming onto gfx card... if u want to choose frm this two then i wud put my money on 9800GTX+ coz its better in performance, no temp. or BIOS problem and as its frm NVIDIA, it means sheer OCability :) and another reason is im a NVIDIA fanboy:D but that dznt justify my recommandation

get 9800GTX+ :)

^^ati is more overclockable thanks to GDDR5 :p

and ATI has CTM - close to Metal(headGautham). So I like it better :D

imgame2

Padawan

@mukherjee , not sure about physX for xp . just like purevideoHD , even if its only for vista now , in a month or two drivers will support physX in xp too. .

like i already said , with either cards , u wont be going wrong.

if u are still finding it hard to decide , make a poll and request every1 to quote the reason why they made that choice.then u may get different views and others ideas.

@imgame2 , hd4850 (unOCed) does NOT beat 9800GTX+ in gaming performance all the time. sometime , it wins , sometimes looses depending on the game. all in all , 9800GTX+ wins by a very small margin and is better OCable than 4850 and has no temp probs which need to be solved. .

yes i do agree that 9800GTX+ has an edge over hd 4850 and definately 9800 GTX+ is much better OCable. and with nvidia card one will hardly face any problem with hardware compatibility or driver issues so i guess @ mukherjee for 12.3 k at lynx u might get it below 12k locally and thats the right choice for u when u like CUDA and Physx support.

forever

filth is me

very well said abt the PhysX card, in simple words, it sux :D coming onto gfx card... if u want to choose frm this two then i wud put my money on 9800GTX+ coz its better in performance, no temp. or BIOS problem and as its frm NVIDIA, it means sheer OCability :) and another reason is im a NVIDIA fanboy:D but that dznt justify my recommandation

get 9800GTX+ :)

What is this BIOS problem you speak of?
Also, if its just a BIOS problem (which can be rectified easily) is it worthwhile to dump the whole line of products based on just a small glitch??

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

@KpowerMania ,i'm not sure i understand what u said. . we're not talking about a discreet physX card .. its the drivers nvidia uses to emulate a PPU..

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.

^^i dnt knw if its easy to overcome but by NO MEANS its very serious .... the ATi HD4850 is the most selling gfx ATM ..... so its not somethign over which we will dump the whole series :) pls. someone who knws how to solve it, can help here :)

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

but given the same price ( 11.9k for 4850 and 12.2k for 9800GTX+ ) , do we all agree that the 9800GTX+ is a better option ?

Top Bottom