Graphics Cards related queries here.

nvidia

-----ATi-----
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

But will it run @ full speed on dat mobo...:confused:
No.. About half the bw of PCI2.0 is available on PCI-e1.1.
It wont run at full speed. But tests have shown that PCI2.0 with double the bw wont really double the performance. But its does make some difference.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

you wont loose more than 5% performance running radeon 4850 on pcie 1.1 . . regarding performance loss , well , the test is not very accurate. .most tests are done using the same card on intel p35 ( pcie 1.1 ) and on intel x48 ( pcie 2.0 ).. the increase in performance , i feel , is more due to the better x48 chipset than pcie 2.0 .. .this argument is further supported by the fact that radeon 2900XT which is based on pcie 1.1 performed slightly better in pcie 2.0( intel x38 chipset ) . furthermore , i hardly think its worth paying some much more extra for just pcie 2.0 ..if there are other good features , better performance in other aspects , then the mobo supporting pcie 2.0 becomes a better choice.. i wudnt buy a mobo paying extra money just because it supports pcie 2.0 . .

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

^^ yep. There is no problem with single card.

X38 for example, runs two crossfired cards in X16 mode (both of them)

but P35 runs them in X8 mode which decreases the crossfire performance a lot.

but taking into account that X38 mobos cost 15k or more.

i would prefer 4870 X2 over crossfire on pcie1.1 :)

nvidia

-----ATi-----

@sagargv +1
And btw, i changed the position of the fans in my cabinet and ran ATi tool. The temperature didn't go above 110C.
But its still too high.. Do you have XFX number? They've changed their number.

acewin

Point Blanc

nope , no mobo has onboard 8600. . u can get radeon 3400 or something like that in onboard graphics solutions which perform on par with geforce 8400GS. . but if its for gaming , its not good enough.

abit ip35e has a pcie 1.1 x16 slot which u can use to add any pcie graphics card. 8600GT , radeon 4850(yes , pcie 2.0 is backward compatible) etc..

thanks buddy, I do not need mobo for hardcore gaming, but good movie watching, the onboard x3100 is not good enough.
What mobo you suggest and what is the graphic memory. The one with ati raedon card.

Secondly as per my experience. if you have vista. 8400GS and most of the old DDR2 graphic card will have hardtime loading vista graphics. So, if you wanna go for Vista you really need 256MB DDR3 8600 or anything better.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

@nvidia , sorry mate. . i gave the card to my vendor from whom i purchased the card...so i have made no contact with rashi/ xfx.

@acewin , are u sure that 8400GS has problem with vista ? my onbard radeon x200 could run aero easily . .so i thought that 8400GS should have no problem. .

whats ur config ? which movie cant u run ?

there is little point in buying a mobo purely for the sake of onboard graphics.i think u should opt for a discreet card. .

acewin

Point Blanc

@sagargv, actually I have doubt, that is why I am asking. and that is why I asked for a mobo with good onboard graphic card.

I do not have experince of any external GPUs, I have seen mostly performance of x3100, and that too on laptops, the refresh rate is not that good. with 2GB RAM and 2GHz proccy.
Its good to hear that 8400GS performs well for vista
I need a decen mobo+GPU config as I am thinking of getting a assembling a computer, mostly used for watching movies and general work.

I play age of empire 3 on my laptop which has x3100, cannot play naval maps, it just hangs like hell T7100(1.8GHz proccy) + Windows XP Pro + 2GB DDR2 RAM, my laptop model is Compaq 6510b

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

^^ with 8400GS , less taxing games like AOE 3 will run easily without problems.. intel gma x3000 drivers were quite buggy.i can assure u that u wont have any such issues with 8400GS ?

what do u mean refresh rate is not good in ur laptop ? thats hardly connected to a g-card.. a lcd screen at 60hz should be more than enough.

if u want to watch HD movies. then u'll need a good C2D proccy.. otherwise , any processor of the current day will do. have a look in the sticky thread " basic guide to purchase a system ".

acewin

Point Blanc

@sagargv, I have checked the sticky purchasing guide.
I wanna spend low on GPU less than 3K, would 8400GS be better or Ati 2400 Pro be better Sapphire Radeon™ HD 2400 PRO (256MB Dedicated)

I see Palit 8400GS 512MB DDR2 PCI priced at 2400 in theitwares.
I wanna keep this low, if I increase my amount I would go for Palit 384 MB DDR3 9600
or the HD3850 desibond is suggesting. I have some time in building up my system.

So I am trying to collect the info.
In meanwhile I will try contacting HP customer Care.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

@acewin, for casual gaming, 780G should be more than enough. And you don't have to isntall a GPU for that chipset. It is very strong directX 10 chipset.

Don't go for 8400GS or 2400PRO. Both suck.

Decent entry level GPU is the 8600GT for 3.5k (evga/palit)

next one will be 2600XT for some 5k or 9500GT for 5.5k (9500gt being the winner here)

next comes 3850 for 6k (beats 9500GT)

And the king of sub10k is HD4850

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

+1

and watever cpu u buy , the onboard 780G has radeon 3200 graphics which will decode H.264 . . so u'll have no problems running HD movies too. .

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

^^ yeah .. check the intel website if u want . .the southbridge is SB 540 or something i suppose. .

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

^^ yeah .. check the intel website if u want . .the southbridge is SB 540 or something i suppose. .

dats good..cud u post some links or tell me which r the intel's mobos with nvidia chipset
in them.. :D.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

*www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d101ggc/index.htm

AFAIK , there are no intel mobo's based on nvidia chipset.

acewin

Point Blanc

desi but still you did not gave me exact make or anything, I will try to do a random check though in SP road. what about 780G, can you recommed any mobo for intel proccy based on 780G chipset

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H

Ger rev. 1.1 of this board. rev.1 has heatsink issues for the chipset. Gigabyte releases rev1.1 with bigger heatsink.

Have a nice weekend!! :)

should cost less than 5k now.

Last edited:

nvidia

-----ATi-----

@sagargv: If you get hold of their number then please send a PM.

Top Bottom