Graphics Cards related queries here.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

well i am not that hardcore gamer.

i love to play games like hitman contracts nfs mw.type old games in mid high or a little high settings on 800x600 or 1024x768 resolutions.

therefore i got a xfx geforce 8500gt 512mb ddr2 graphics card.

everything from installation was smooth. but after i installed the driver from the xfx cd. i ran hitman contracts on high settings.initially it ran well but aftersome time i started to experience some graphical glitches.

as i am on dial up so i thought of updating the driver from a december 2007 c magazine issue which gives forceware updates for nvidia for windows xp.

well after i ran that driver installation suddenly my system restarted and gave that driver error .after that i got some three more restarts(not simultaniously).

the cpu temperature was runing at 40 deg c.

guys please help me.how should i update my graphics driver to the latest version.

i mean should i first uninstall my older version then start this newer version installation.can anyone please provide me the site.

as i am using a graphics card for the first time.

friends please help me.

whats ur gpu temp while gaming ? use riva tuner to log it .. dont alt+tab out of a game to see. . allow riva tuner to log temperature in the background while you game . After sometime check the max gpu temp and report it here .even better would be to get ATItool and run it for 15mins and see the temp. ur gpu maybe overheating.I strongly suspect this as you said u have some graphical glitches.

What psu do you have ? What is the amperage on the 12volt rail ?

i have p4 3.0ghz with ht.
1.50gb of ram.
300w vip smps.
xfx geforce 8500gt 512 mb ddr2.

the system also hangs sometimes.these problems are all new.they are happening after upgrading the ram and adding the gfx card.

before restarting a blue screen with error appears whichg stays for a fraction of a second.

moreover sometimes after restarting i get this message.

*img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.acacf08a0e.jpg

i cant seem to be able to open that image. so i dont know what error message it is. i think the VIP 300W psu is the culprit. change to atleast a zebronics 400W for 450bucks. and do get the gpu temp after running ati tool.

Last edited:

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack

@quan_chi
your SMPS maybe the culprit...

how old is it ? and did it come with your case itself ?

better to get a branded one like cooler master 450W

_

quan chi

mortal kombat

my smps is two years old.yes it came with the case.

*img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/b4e43e32fe.jpg

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack

^^^
it definitely needs change... buy a better PSU

Cooler Master is good but if you are on a tight budget get a zebronics as 'sagargv' suggested...

installing new RAM sticks and a gfx card might have been too much for it to handle...

and as far as gfx card heating problems are concerned I dont think 8500GT gets hots that much :D

_

quan chi

mortal kombat

well if i suppose by mistake runs a wrong driver update version which does not support this chipset.will it do harm my system or it will automatically wont get installed.

and can you please give me the link to download riva tuner.

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack

^^^
*www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner

btw installing a wrong driver can screwup things. but if the driver doesnt even support the chipset, in most of the cases it won't install :D

though I can't clearly figure out what you are actually asking :D

_

Last edited:

quan chi

mortal kombat

hey the problem seems to have solved.as i have taken out my 1gb ram module the system is working fine till now.

now my system memory is 512mb.

but a new problem has arised.

i cant run overlord demo properly in mid high settings at 800x600 resolutions.
you know my system spects now.i only get 10-12 fps.
the minimum system requirement for this game is.
----------------------
Minimum Specification:
----------------------
- Windows XP
- DirectX 9.0c
- CPU: Pentium 2.4 GHz or Athlon XP 2400+
- 512 mb RAM
- Graphics Card: GeForce FX5900 / Radeon 9500 or above
- DirectX 9 Compatible Sound Card
- 1.2 Gb Hard Drive Space

so i should get atleast 18-20fps.in mid settings at 800x600 resolutions.

btw is it due to the 512mb ram(as 1gb is required).

and can anyone please tell me how can i overclock my cpu and gpu.

^^^
*www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner

btw installing a wrong driver can screwup things. but if the driver doesnt even support the chipset, in most of the cases it won't install :D

though I can't clearly figure out what you are actually asking :D

_

dosent matter you have given me the answer.:D

Last edited:

imgame2

Padawan
Msi Nx8800gt

hi people i m planning to buy graphics card and i have narrowed down two possibilities

1)9600gt (probably evga version)
*techshop.in/store/product_info.php?cPath=4_272&products_id=1592

2)8800gt (MSI OC version)
*techshop.in/store/product_info.php?cPath=4_272&products_id=1105

now infact it looks pretty obvious that since the difference is only 1.5k going for MSI is wise choice.but my computer vendor told me that MSI service is pretty bad in chennai,and i came to know about the same from few acquaintances.thats its not great either. on the other hand evga gives a life-time warranty.though i don't know how it works in india.does anybody know about it ?

can some someone tell me (if they have this version of MSI card) if this card is good or face any problem ?also how good is buying stuff from techshop.in?i haven't bought any stuff from it or for that matter any indian online shop.is it good and reliable ?

and can anyone tell me what is the street price of this card ? if anyone know about it,it will be of great help.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

^^ contact tirupathi enterprises for evga cards . i dont know about MSI service. Try to find the price of evga 8800GT and the warranty you get. And i trust you have chosen a good enough psu for that card.

hey the problem seems to have solved.as i have taken out my 1gb ram module the system is working fine till now.

now my system memory is 512mb.

but a new problem has arised.

i cant run overlord demo properly in mid high settings at 800x600 resolutions.
you know my system spects now.i only get 10-12 fps.
the minimum system requirement for this game is.
----------------------
Minimum Specification:
----------------------
- Windows XP
- DirectX 9.0c
- CPU: Pentium 2.4 GHz or Athlon XP 2400+
- 512 mb RAM
- Graphics Card: GeForce FX5900 / Radeon 9500 or above
- DirectX 9 Compatible Sound Card
- 1.2 Gb Hard Drive Space

so i should get atleast 18-20fps.in mid settings at 800x600 resolutions.

btw is it due to the 512mb ram(as 1gb is required).

and can anyone please tell me how can i overclock my cpu and gpu.

dosent matter you have given me the answer.:D

run memtest to check ram . ur 1gb stick seems to be faulty. use riva tuner to OC the gpu . but with a weak gpu like 8500GT dont expect noticable improvement. and you can forget OCing that presshot p4 3 ghz.it already runs too hot .

try running that demo @ 800x600 at all low details and filters.

and do post the temps of gpu . i'm specifically asking this as XFX cards these days seem to run rather hot. . if many xfx 8600GT' were overheating , i see no reason why that should'nt be the same case with 8500GT.

Last edited:

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack

@quan_chi

also check whether the speed of your two RAM sticks are the same...

and if possible run a memory integrity check.. (using memtest *www.memtest.org/)

EDIT:
bah! sagar beat me to it :D

and 8500GT is a pretty low powered card and it doesn't heat much like XFX's 8600GTs.. even some cards are passively cooled ;)

_

imgame2

Padawan

thanks sagargv for replying back ,i found out more about service in chennai,actually its pathetic hardly any dealer keep MSI stuff here.they say costumers come for problems MSI people are not able to support.

about prices of evga,the techshop.in prices are(i think street prices might be 1 to 1.5k less as is always the case)

evga 8800 gt 512 mb SC "superclocked"-14.4 k
evga 8800 gt 512 mb KO "knockout"-15.2k

now thats a little steep for my budget i was hoping to squeeze a 8800 gt for about 11.5 k.so if i want to go for evga, i will have to postpone buying the card for a month or two.which i m confused will be a wise decision or not ?

PSU will be coolermaster 600 W.

tirupathi enterprises doesn't have an office here in chennai will have to ask HQ in kolkata,tomo.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

if u wont be getting service for MSI . u might as well , stay away from it.
i would recommend the 8800GT from evga . it is a much better deal compared to the 9600GT. and the psu you have chosen is pretty good.

The rest is upto you. either wait for a month and get 8800GT 512 or get 9600GT now. If radeon 3870 is priced at 10k ,then u can go for that.but pay nothing more than 10k for 3870.

If u can get the evga 8800GT ( a non OCed version will do ) within your budget on the street, its a steel.

imgame2

Padawan

thanks again i will have to check for a non-OCed version for evga,if i get it within my budget i will surely buy it.

and i m not going to buy HD3870 as its very rare card,ATI cards have always service issue(at least in chennai,its like ATI doesn't care about indian customers).i can't afford to waste time running around to get services from people who are not willing to provide it.And 9600 GT is much better card when i turn on anti aliasing,though the performance difference doesn't come much when u compare it with various games.

another thing which i keep thinking is the max resolution my monitor supports is 1600x1200@60Hz,and even today there are very few monitors in India which support 1900x1200 and they are extremely costly,as of now.and various reviews show that in most games baring crysis and oblivion,9600gt oced is very close to 8800gt at lower resolution till 1280x1024 and then as the resolution increases it falls behind,and real difference is shown in few games @1600x1200,1680x1050 and in most games at 1900x1200.which is very unlikely i will be playing at those resolutions in atleast coming 1 and half years.

so in all probabilty i will be playing games @ 1280x1024 @ max settings or 1600x1200 @ max settings which allow me to smooth game play.

in that case is 9600 gt not better suited for my needs ? perhaps an OCed version from eVGA ?

pirates1323

In the zone

hey guys I'm thinkin to upgrade my graphics card to geforce 8800 series ... current my system config is:
HP:
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E4400
1 gb ddr2 ram
intel gma 950 graphics
240 gb hdd..

will upgradation support my system ?!... lookin forward to play new games which need high end config ... should i upgrade ram also?!

wht u think of GeForce 8800 GTX ?

I see many brands of geforce ... does the performace of each brand is different ... i saw some like

eVGA GEFORCE 8800 GTX
BFG GeForce 8800 GTX
XFX GEFORCE 8800GTX
msi etc

which should i go for ?!

Last edited:

imgame2

Padawan

why go for 8800 GTX ?

a 8800 GT overcloed will fulfill ur need very well.rather spend on good PSU and cooler for 8800GT what games are u planning to play ?

as sagargv and i were talking before eVGA 8800GT 512 Mb KO "knockout" is a steal deal and it gives knockout performace,and a lifetime warranty.

i don't think BFG is available in india? correct me if i m wrong.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

@imgame2 , AFAIK bfg is not available. i recommended the non OCed edition as u had a budget constraint thats all . definitely KO is better. please make sure u'll get warranty for evga cards.

how long do u intend to use the card u're going to buy now ? if its <= 1 year , a 9600GT will do. for anytime more than that , i feel 8800GT will be a more prudent option.

And see if you can get Palit Sonic+ . Those cards have zalman coolers.If u can get a 8800GT palit sonic for around 11-12k , that will also be a good buy. But again you will have to confirm regarding aftersale services.

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE

hey guys I'm thinkin to upgrade my graphics card to geforce 8800 series ... current my system config is:
HP:
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E4400
1 gb ddr2 ram
intel gma 950 graphics
240 gb hdd..

will upgradation support my system ?!... lookin forward to play new games which need high end config ... should i upgrade ram also?!

wht u think of GeForce 8800 GTX ?

I see many brands of geforce ... does the performace of each brand is different ... i saw some like

eVGA GEFORCE 8800 GTX
BFG GeForce 8800 GTX
XFX GEFORCE 8800GTX
msi etc

which should i go for ?!

8800GTX is costly and besides its a kicked out card.
U can have better or almost same performance with 8800GTS (512MB). Its cheap and excellent performer.
But if u have bucks then 9800GTX is the latest thing.
Also u have to upgrade that RAM too,(at least 2GB). Because it will bottleneck ur system performance and u will not be able to get all fun that u deserve!

imgame2

Padawan

will have to look for palit and sonic cards,and yes i will be using the card for about 1 and half years atleast. and if i m not wrong nvidia will launch 9800 gt soon,that will perhaps bring down prices of 8800GT and 9600 GT as well i hope 9800 gt is atleast decently better than 8800 GT,cos if they are not 8800GT will be going strong still.

so i understand things will be changing drastically in areana.hence i do understand when u say about buying 8800 gt.and thats what i wanted.but lets hope i get what i want... if i don't get it i will very well postpone it. as next 3 months i will be very busy anyway.will not play much of games in next 3 months.

will look for stuff in august may be....a lot would have changed by then. i hope.

thanks sagargv for all ur help!!

royal

Padawan
Re: Msi Nx8800gt

can some someone tell me (if they have this version of MSI card) if this card is good or face any problem ?

and can anyone tell me what is the street price of this card ? if anyone know about it,it will be of great help.

I have been using the MSI card for a week now...running smoothly so far.
I have played DOOM III, HL2, SOF Payback with high settings. No Problem. :p
(Crysis is yet to come :D )

Anyway you need a good PSU for running this. I have Corsair vx450W with 33A on +12V rail.

It cost me Rs. 11960(including tax) to get this from Tirupati so I think the price in techshop is good enough. :)

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

will have to look for palit and sonic cards,and yes i will be using the card for about 1 and half years atleast. and if i m not wrong nvidia will launch 9800 gt soon,that will perhaps bring down prices of 8800GT and 9600 GT as well i hope 9800 gt is atleast decently better than 8800 GT,cos if they are not 8800GT will be going strong still.

so i understand things will be changing drastically in areana.hence i do understand when u say about buying 8800 gt.and thats what i wanted.but lets hope i get what i want... if i don't get it i will very well postpone it. as next 3 months i will be very busy anyway.will not play much of games in next 3 months.

will look for stuff in august may be....a lot would have changed by then. i hope.

thanks sagargv for all ur help!!

Glad i could be of help. In 3 months , it is quite possible the 9900 based on GT200 will come out and some rumors indicate they have shway performance.Have a good time and when you do make your purchase , tell us too. .

Top Bottom