Graphics Cards related queries here.

Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

2600xt at 7.1k - terrible buy . .offers marginal performance improvement over 8600GT available at 5k

3870xt at 14.4k is a pretty good deal . but it still is just behind 8800GT . find the prices of 8800GT as well .if thats also at 14k , 8800GT is better. but however if u intend to use the card for 2 yrs 3870 will be a better choice as it supports dx10.1

and how can you possibly compare 8600GT and 3870 ?
different cards of nearly same price are compared. otherwise , we see if the price difference is worth the performance the costlier one offers.

3870 is 3 to 4 times better than the 8600GT . its worth the price difference . so f u have the money get the 3870 .
well, I am looking at those cards because they sport GDDR4 memory, not GDDR3 like XFX 8800GT. And yes, the DirectX 10.1 factor is important here for me. But so is OpenGL V3, when it comes, as I am a linux user, and I hardly care about windows(ecept games).

And the problem is that I am a total JackAss when it comes to ATi Cards, as I only have knowledge of nVidia cards. I hear lots about ATi's VFM, reliability, etc etc from °K£l†huzaD°, and he also tried to explain their nomenclature, but I, who struggled in the begining even with Organic Chemistry Nonmenclature :lol: couldn't follow a thing, when it comes to comparing ATi and nVidia cards with names.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

guys i have another question well i have seen a guy in another forum asking this.

it is like this my mobo only supports ddr ram(the main ram).

now does this has to do anything with the gfx card ram.i mean can i install a gfx card with ddr2 ram as these days gfx cards has got ddr2 or more ram.

the nature of ram in mainboard and gfx card are not at all related. a mainboard supporting ddr1 ram can support a g-card with ddr2 or gddr3 or gddr4. . there is no connection between the two . .the gfx card will use the ram present on it and the rest of ur pc will use the ram on the motherboard.

well, I am looking at those cards because they sport GDDR4 memory, not GDDR3 like XFX 8800GT. And yes, the DirectX 10.1 factor is important here for me. But so is OpenGL V3, when it comes, as I am a linux user, and I hardly care about windows(ecept games).

And the problem is that I am a total JackAss when it comes to ATi Cards, as I only have knowledge of nVidia cards. I hear lots about ATi's VFM, reliability, etc etc from °K£l†huzaD°, and he also tried to explain their nomenclature, but I, who struggled in the begining even with Organic Chemistry Nonmenclature couldn't follow a thing, when it comes to comparing ATi and nVidia cards with names.

what makes you think that cards having gddr4 perform better than cards having gddr3 . even 8800ultra uses gddr3.
if u're a linux user better to go4 nvidia cards. their driver support for linux is better than ati
dx10.1 is not of much importance now. and it will not gain importance surely for another year. no idea of openGL3.

as u said ati cards are more vfm . but they are ridiculously over priced in india and hence nvidia cards offer better vfm in india.

nomenclature is no big deal . .
lets take amd hd 2900xt as an example

1. the first digit starting from left( 2 in this case ) , gives the series to which the card belongs to . this will define its capabilities like dx10 or dx10.1 . which shader model version etc.. but it doesnt tell much about its performace

2.the second digit from left ( 9 in this case ) , tells whether its a low end , high end or mid end card. Usually ,
- 1 or 2 represents onboard solution ( ex. radeon x1250 )
- 3 or 4 represents low end solution ( ex. hd 2400xt )
- 6 represents mid end solution ( hd2600xt )
- 8 or 9 represnts high end solution ( hd2900xt )

3.the third digit from the left ( 0 in this case ) . this tells if its a new version made by modifying the older one . example ( x1950..compare it to x1900 )
- 0 for older one
- 5 for newer one

4. the suffixs are xt , le , pro , x2 etc.... this tells the performance in the same type of card. xt > pro . x2 represents double gpu card.

Last edited:

quan chi

mortal kombat

the nature of ram in mainboard and gfx card are not at all related. a mainboard supporting ddr1 ram can support a g-card with ddr2 or gddr3 or gddr4. . there is no connection between the two . .the gfx card will use the ram present on it and the rest of ur pc will use the ram on the motherboard.

thank's bhai.:)

what makes you think that cards having gddr4 perform better than cards having gddr3 . even 8800ultra uses gddr3.
if u're a linux user better to go4 nvidia cards. their driver support for linux is better than ati
dx10.1 is not of much importance now. and it will not gain importance surely for another year. no idea of openGL3.

as u said ati cards are more vfm . but they are ridiculously over priced in india and hence nvidia cards offer better vfm in india.

nomenclature is no big deal . .
lets take amd hd 2900xt as an example

1. the first digit starting from left( 2 in this case ) , gives the series to which the card belongs to . this will define its capabilities like dx10 or dx10.1 . which shader model version etc.. but it doesnt tell much about its performace

2.the second digit from left ( 9 in this case ) , tells whether its a low end , high end or mid end card. Usually ,
- 1 or 2 represents onboard solution ( ex. radeon x1250 )
- 3 or 4 represents low end solution ( ex. hd 2400xt )
- 6 represents mid end solution ( hd2600xt )
- 8 or 9 represnts high end solution ( hd2900xt )

3.the third digit from the left ( 0 in this case ) . this tells if its a new version made by modifying the older one . example ( x1950..compare it to x1900 )
- 0 for older one
- 5 for newer one

4. the suffixs are xt , le , pro , x2 etc.... this tells the performance in the same type of card. xt > pro . x2 represents double gpu card.
thanks for bothering with the nomenclature. I really am grateful.
but for now, I will just wait for a good card. till then, p4@2.66 + 256mbDDR400 + intelGMA900 will do :(

HellKing

Broken In

Hii guyzz!!!!

Mom finally agreed to get me a gfx card in the 6000-7000 range. So I'm thinking of getting a Zebronics 8600GT gfx card! The 512 MB version costs around 5200/-. What are your opinions??

My rig is :
Pentium D 2.66GHz
1GB Kingston RAM
D945G Mobo..

and the power supply that came with ma iBall cabinet (probably 400W)

So tell me, howzz the purchase??

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

thanks for bothering with the nomenclature. I really am grateful.
but for now, I will just wait for a good card. till then, p4@2.66 + 256mbDDR400 + intelGMA900 will do :(

you're welcome . i too had gma 900. then changed mobo to d101 and onboard is x200 , pretty good compared to intel 915 and 945...ur sig is pretty cool...

Hii guyzz!!!!

Mom finally agreed to get me a gfx card in the 6000-7000 range. So I'm thinking of getting a Zebronics 8600GT gfx card! The 512 MB version costs around 5200/-. What are your opinions??

My rig is :
Pentium D 2.66GHz
1GB Kingston RAM
D945G Mobo..

and the power supply that came with ma iBall cabinet (probably 400W)

So tell me, howzz the purchase??

i think u're referring to zebronics 512mb ddr2 8600GT. no , its not the card of choice for your price. 256mb gddr3 performs better than 512mb ddr2...
get galaxy OR point of view 256mb gddr3 8600GT for 5.5k. i think ur psu(the one with ur cabby) should suffice. but if ur budget permits , get a zebronics pure platinum 400W/500W ( around 1.5k ) . this will allow more stable OCing of the card.

and oh yeah , i almost forgot to mention . for 8600GT , i recommend you to avoid XFX. the market is flooded with udf7 versions of the xfx 8600gt which has severe overheating issues . if u can get xfx 8600GT udd3 or use3 models , then get it. otherwise stick to POV/galaxy.

Last edited:

HellKing

Broken In

Okay..

Then I'll try for Galaxy 256MB 8600GT..

Anything from the ATI stable of dx10 in my price range??

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

amd radeon hd 2600xt - 7.1k but it performs nearly same as 8600GT which is at 5k .. so go4 geforce 8600GT.

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent

Okay..

Then I'll try for Galaxy 256MB 8600GT..

Anything from the ATI stable of dx10 in my price range??

get galaxy oc edition .. for 8600gt 256mb is enough .. no need for 512 mb .. used it ..overclocks very well and performance is pretty good ..

and forget abt dx10 gaming using these mid range cards ..

warfreak

Talk to the hand!!!

I have a question guys. Is there any point in buying the 512 mb version of 8600 GT DDR3 ? It costs at around Rs.7500 I think. What is the performance gain compared to the 256MB version?

If it is significant then should I go for it? Or should I extend my budget to Rs.14000 and get a 8800GT instead ?

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer

of course u should get a 8800gt. in fact if u take a 8600gt instead of a 8800gt u will be an idiot seriously

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

i dont think a 512mb gddr3 for 8600GT will improve performace all that much because 512mb comes in handy at high res and 8600 cant render fast enough to run games at high res . so a 256 mb should do . instead of 512mb 8600 , at 8k a 7900GS will be a much better option.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer

^^dont listen to sagargv when u can buy a 8800gt do it!!

warfreak

Talk to the hand!!!

Thanks for your opinion guys. I think I'll have to push my budget to double to get a 8800GT. Now I have Rs.15000 to spare(I was saving that for an external hard disk,but what the heck!). Which brand should I go for?

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

^^dont listen to sagargv when u can buy a 8800gt do it!!
i'm sorry i thought i was referring to hellgate. .

i think i'm misunderstood. i think 8800GT(14k) > 7900GS(8k) > 8600GT(5k) . .
choose whatever comes into ur budget .. and dont forget about the smps.
instead of 8600GTS , get the 7900GS which happens to fall to the same budget is what i recommend.
and in my opinion 8600GT 512mb ddr3 at 7.5k isnt a great deal and it is wiser to go for 7900GS.

i think there is nothing wrong with the order i wrote .i would be grateful if you could correct me if i'm mistaken.

Thanks for your opinion guys. I think I'll have to push my budget to double to get a 8800GT. Now I have Rs.15000 to spare(I was saving that for an external hard disk,but what the heck!). Which brand should I go for?

for 15k , get the 8800GT + cooler master 600W or corsair 450W smps ( 3.5k )
most people owning xfx 8800GT seem to be satisfied. i dont know about asus 8800GT.but i think its safe to go for xfx 8800GT.

quadroplex780

Maximum Fame

Asus EN8800gt has a custom Temp sensor on the PCB so the only software to monitor its temp is ASUS smart doctor(latest beta).
Earlier versions had overheating issues so asus changed the cooler to a dual slot one
Remeber when u buy an asus en8800gt make sure its with the dual slot cooler
By the way my bro's XFX 8800GT runs ultra cool.

warfreak

Talk to the hand!!!

Thanks for the information guys. So ASUS EN8800GT it is.
One last request:-Can I have the performance benchmarks of Oblivion, Unreal Tournament 3,Crysis and Call Of Duty 4 for the above graphics card? Just to convince myself that it would be a good buy.

quadroplex780

Maximum Fame

^^
whats the temp??
my 8800 GTS 512 MB G92 runs at 55-60 C
Idle-38C,100% load-54C(rivatuner)

Thanks for the information guys. So ASUS EN8800GT it is.
One last request:-Can I have the performance benchmarks of Oblivion, Unreal Tournament 3,Crysis and Call Of Duty 4 for the above graphics card? Just to convince myself that it would be a good buy.
Head to www.guru3D.com for reviews.