Graphics card for old pc under 8.5k

codename_47

Broken In
1. Which Power Supply do you have? (Be EXACT while naming the company and model)
Ans:Vip gold 500watt. It adequately powers my 8800gt.

2. What is your budget?
Ans:8.5k max

3. Which resolution will you game at?
Ans:I can manage with 1024*768 but settings should be maxed out.

4. What are your current computer specifications?
Ans: core 2 duo e6600 2.4ghz
2gb ddr2
asus p5b-vm

With a bit of searching I have zeroed in 560gtx and 7770. Please advice. Will 560gtx run fine on my specs. Preparing this config for crysis 3 and watch dogs.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
The 560gtx wont be in your budget.
Best in your budget: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-c...ation-budget-b-w-6-5k-8-5k-2.html#post1784024
And you can ask for reviews also.

OP
C

codename_47

Broken In
Best in your budget: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-c...ation-budget-b-w-6-5k-8-5k-2.html#post1784024

Sorry I was referring to zotac 650gtx it is listed for 8k on flipkart.
And I don't think I require a new psu as anandtech states that 8800gt consumes more power than both 7770 and 650gtx. AnandTech - Bench - GPU12

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
well, HD 7770 is 10-15% faster than GTX 650 and priced same. Rather get HD 7770 for better bang for the buck.

OP
C

codename_47

Broken In
Yeah - for the psu, get atleast a corsair cx430v2.

Well I have been using this vip Psu since the past 4 years without any problems. It powers my 8800gt quite well. I spent 2k for this psu back in 2009.
And since 7700 consumes less power than 8800gt there is no point spending another 2k.
Anyways will 7700 run on my pci-e 1.0 slot?

Myth

Cyborg Agent
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-c...ormation-regarding-graphic-cards-newbies.html

doomgiver

Warframe
yeah, gpu will run.

Read this for PCIe question - *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-c...ormation-regarding-graphic-cards-newbies.html

a psu is highly recommended. but its upto you to decide what is important.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thetrueblueviking

No highs, No lows = Bose.
Well I have been using this vip Psu since the past 4 years without any problems. It powers my 8800gt quite well. I spent 2k for this psu back in 2009.
And since 7700 consumes less power than 8800gt there is no point spending another 2k.
Anyways will 7700 run on my pci-e 1.0 slot?

U are sadly mistaken.
VIP is one of the blacklisted psu manufacturers. You might have had luck before but you dont want to risk your 7770 on such an el cheapo.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect

@Myth: :D my thread is becoming useful, eh??

@OP: 7770 is GOOOOOD!

and VIP?? :?

PCIe1.0 slot may bottleneck the card. let the experienced people comment. :)

aloodum

Journeyman
@@ codename_47: are u from western india?
VIP is quite famous there as a very good alternative to zebronics platinum series.AFAIK the 8800GT reccomended 26A on 12V line.
Does ur VIP have the same specs?

The concern of most members here is not unfound, over time older psu due to capacitor ageing will dip in total o/p provided..adding to that, there will be overheating which may result in a failure.....Nevertheless its a suggestion ,if you can ,upgrade your psu for the longer run.

Coming back to the suggestion of a gpu, be advised that inspite of the fact that you are ready to negotiate with a lowered resolution for more quality, your expecations should be lower.
Its a C2D 6XX series cpu, it will bottleneck your GPU, moreso bcoz you are now playing at a lowered resolution where instead of the gpu, its is the cpu's task to push the frames.See the compounded problem?
Btw what is the max screen resolution of your moniter?
And yes the 7770 is a better option :)

doomgiver

Warframe
Coming back to the suggestion of a gpu, be advised that inspite of the fact that you are ready to negotiate with a lowered resolution for more quality, your expecations should be lower.
Its a C2D 6XX series cpu, it will bottleneck your GPU, moreso bcoz you are now playing at a lowered resolution where instead of the gpu, its is the cpu's task to push the frames.See the compounded problem?
nice point.
the cpu will be a one of the major bottlenecks in the system.

i'd advise you to get a 2nd hand quad core C2Q and wrench out 1-2 years more service out of the cpu-mobo combo.

or get a totally new rig, which will work for a long time.

codename47

Broken In
nice point.
the cpu will be a one of the major bottlenecks in the system.

i'd advise you to get a 2nd hand quad core C2Q and wrench out 1-2 years more service out of the cpu-mobo combo.

or get a totally new rig, which will work for a long time.

well I am in a dilemma. I am confused whether to go for entire system overhaul or go for overclocking. I have a 23 inch IPS AOC hd resolution monitor .I think gaming at 1024*768 would be doing injustice to such a monitor. Advice?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
for such a monitor your best bet is to get a HD7850 card for now and upgrade the system later - sure the cpu will bottleneck the card but playing at 40-50 fps does not makes much changes in game experience for most of the games.

codename47

Broken In
for such a monitor your best bet is to get a HD7850 card for now and upgrade the system later - sure the cpu will bottleneck the card but playing at 40-50 fps does not makes much changes in game experience for most of the games.

Damn confused? Don't know what to do? If I go for HD7850 that will shoot up my expenses upto 14k.
Or I should go for 7770 and overclock my cpu upto 3ghz with a good cooler and power it with a new PSU.
Which is the best option?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
HD7850 consumes less power than 8800GT and you may find a HD7850 for as low as ~13k.

now a HD7770 would cost you ~8k, a good cooler ~2k and a new PSU at-least ~2.5k which is still exceeding your budget.

HD7850 offers nice performance boost over HD7770 and even if you OC you won't get much performance out of the cpu in games which will boost fps - my suggestion - get HD7850 - run everything at stick setting for now and when you have money change the PSU first.

Top Bottom