Graphic card troubles

user28

Journeyman
Hello Friends,

Before i explain the problem, here is my PC configuration
Asus F2A85-M Motherboard
AMD A10 Processor
RAM - 8 GB (4*2) Corsair Value RAM
64 GB Kingston SATA 2 SSD (as boot drive)
WD 500 GB SATA 3 HDD
Antec VP450P SMPS
XFX AMD Radeon HD 6670 1 GB DDR5 graphic card
Dell IN1920 LCD monitor (VGA only)
Windows 8 64-bit Single license genuine OS

All the above was purchased 6 months ago except the graphic card which i had added just a week ago.

Now the problem:

After purchasing the graphic card i had realised that the card is having DVI-I and HDMI output only and since my monitor supports only VGA, i tried with a DVI-I to VGA convertor but it did not work. So i tried with a DVI-A to VGA convertor and it worked. But i had observed the text is not crisp and sharp and appeared very slightly blurred.

To confirm the difference i connected my monitor to the onboard display and yes, the text appeared sharper and crispier. Yes there is defnitely some difference. Also when the monitor is connected to the graphic card, upon switching on the system, initially for 4 seconds i get a "No VGA cable" message, monitor flickers once, after the post screen, goes blank, flickers exactly 4 times, and then shows the windows splash screen.

Though windows installed the drivers by default after plugging the card, i thought maybe the latest drivers can fix the problem and i had downloaded the catalyst drivers 13.9 (13.152.1.8) drivers. Installing the driver worsened my problem with additional problems. After installation and reboot, the catalyst control center is not opening, clicking on Advanced settings in the display properties is making windows crash. After trying many reboots, finally i had uninstalled the catalyst driver and microsoft 2012 VC++ runtime which was installed along with it. Now there is no catalyst control center and some of the default windows programs are not opening like Windows photo viewer etc.
They just don't open. No crash, no error message.

Yet to see what other programs are not working. The driver completely screwed up my system. Seems like i need to repair or reinstall windows 8.

Now, is the above explained problem is with the convertor or the graphic card? Are there any other options for me to use the graphic card without the convertor?
Yes, i tried the CrossfireX which combined the APU and the graphic card, but it reserved some RAM it seems by default as my system showed that only 7.19 GB is usable out of 8 GB. Correct me if i am wrong please.

Can any body guide me to solve the problems please. Should i return the card?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
retun the card and get a HD7770 instead of adding additional money and if possible avoid XFX.

OP
U

user28

Journeyman
retun the card and get a HD7770 instead of adding additional money and if possible avoid XFX.

Thank you for the reply. But I cannot return the card now and hence I have to use it. For now i am on the integrated graphics. Is it possible to use the crossfireX method since both are AMD based? I had installed the drivers given in the CD along with the card but i did not find anything related to it in Vision Engine control center.

My attempt of installing the latest ATI drivers resulted in a disaster (as explained in OP). So how can i use the crossfireX for this card?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I assume you have 5800k .. yes you can Hybrid CF HD7660D with the HD6670. Now as for your issue format your OS install drive and install windows 7, Sp1 [ win 8 ] , Dot Net Frame Work 4.5 and then gpu driver [ auto install method - latest is 13.12 ]. It should at-least test there's no software compatibility issue.

Now on your windows desktop make sure you have selected the native resolution for the monitor. Also if possible test your pc with a live linux distro like Knoppix FVD Ed. . See how textx looks there. Play some games on it to see if the gpu it self is ok or not.

OP
U

user28

Journeyman
Yes I had formatted the drive and reinstalled windows 8 from the scratch. I downloaded the latest drivers and installed them. But i do not see any options to crossfire both the graphic cards. What am i missing here?

OP
U

user28

Journeyman
OMG... Catalyst center is not opening now. When i click on it, the windows orb just rotates and nothing happens. The driver version i see now is 13.251.0.0
But just can't get the Catalyst control center open. Last time i had installed some version (don't remember the version number) it did show the option to use the graphic card along with the APU, but it all messed up my system which resulted in formatting the entire drive (my first post). I don't want to repeat the same process again. Can anybody help me please?

Honeydew

Broken In
as topgear said it could be a compatibility issue with win8.you should install windows 7 service pack 1 and update it.then install the latest catalyst driver,make sure your system is running properly.

Top Bottom