Graphic card gone bust?

sandyqbg

Broken In
I've had an 8600GT for the last three and a half years and it has been working beautifully... until today. When I switched on my PC today the monitor refused to detect the graphic card and I had to plug it to my mobo to get it working. I'm pretty sure that my card is bust but I would just like to know more about it before I buy a new card or something? Is this really end of my beloved card? The fan on the GPU is working, so at least the power supply to the card seems to be fine.

Also when I booted to my desktop, I was greeted with the 'New Hardware Found' dialog box, which said that it had found a new Video Controller (VGA). And when I tried to install the driver(the latest one that I had been using for sometime now), it said it could not find 'compatible software for the hardware present'.

Should I have to hunt for a new card or is there is any way to salvage my 8600GT. Also is only three and a half years really the lifetime of the card? I've only overclocked it marginally using Riva Tuner for a short period(of say 3 to 4 months around two years back)

Specs:
Intel E6600 2.4 GHz
Intel DG33BU mobo
2 x 1GB RAM
Gigabyte GeForce 8600GT
400W Circle cabinet (at least 400W is what it claims)

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Clean your PCI-E slot and your card from any dust.. and if that didn't work, your GFX card is almost as good as dead. Sorry. And the culprit might be your PSU.

That found new hardware dialog is because, your Operating system detected your IGP for the first time. And the driver you are trying to install might not be compilable with the IGP you are using. Make sure that the driver you are trying to install is from the same manufacturer. Your mobo comes with Intel IGP, download your VGA drivers from here

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Hope the PSU is the culprit here. Try get a FSP saga II 350W @ 1.5k and your GPU is not busted, if you're seeing your desktop. :D

Try what @vamsi suggested and post back here

insaneYLN

In the zone
The most important aspect that one should compulsorily pay heed to is, never, never rely on a "generic" PSU when you have or are planning on getting a dedicated graphics card.

Top Bottom