Grand Strategy Games discussion thread

OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
@OP

I find CIV series a lil slow paced while RoN/AoE are a bit fast paced.
So where do these GSGs stands in terms of game pace?

It ranges from slower than CiV's marathon speed setting to "How in the name of Arceus are we supposed to react this quick" fast. However, most of the time you will be playing it a fair bit slower than AOE 3.

You can say Medium and Fast Pace but you have to manage a hell lot of things. A very small decision will have a big impact.

They are the speeds you usually play at but you are not limited to them.

Once you play GSGs for a certain amount of time, you realize that no decision is "small". Choosing to let the inflation rise by 1% without having appropriate advisors or national ideas in place so that you can maintain your army during war can cause your entire economy to spiral out of control, especially if you don't take steps to curb it after the war or the war lasts for very long and/or you gain a lot of provinces leading to high revolt risk due to factors like nationalism and war exhaustion meaning that you cannot disband extra units but instead have to split the army to stomp out rebellions and also have to keep a standing army incase someone else attacks. But the inflation has ensured that maintaining your army gets more and more expensive over time meaning that either you can disband your units and open yourself to aggression or you can let the inflation rise even more. Each decision you take leads to more decisions that need to be taken, each affecting your empire in various ways. You may think it is fine to let inflation rise by 1% so that you can take over Burgundy, but it has the risk of ruining your long term prospects for a short term gain.

Play Hearts of Iron 3 and you'll understand. :)

Are you trying to scare him away from GSGs even before he gets started? HOI III is probably one of the most complex GSG out there, and definitely isn't suited to a person who has no experience thinking through complex simulations and has never done any real micromanagement. EU III is probably the most beginner friendly one out there that doesn't try and mask the kind of domino effect your decisions can have.

Aoe2 . Isn't that a stratergy game?

Shiva

Yup.

Is it easier to start playing aoe2 or eu3?? It's been some time since I have played stratergy games, hence need something as an icebreaker.

Shiva

@dead5 what does the first word in your sig mean, google translates not able to give readable translation . The second word means "if cute janai" what does that mean??your user title means "hurray Nintendo " does it not?? And how did you get Japanese in there??

Shiva

OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
Is it easier to start playing aoe2 or eu3?? It's been some time since I have played stratergy games, hence need something as an icebreaker.

Shiva

@dead5 what does the first word in your sig mean, google translates not able to give readable translation . The second word means "if cute janai" what does that mean??your user title means "hurray Nintendo " does it not?? And how did you get Japanese in there??

Shiva

Start with AOE 2. After you get used to it get to EU3.

ニホンゴニツイテ(About the Japanese):

『任天堂万歳』 can be transliterated to "Nintendo Banzai". "Banzai" itself means "Ten thousand years" when taken literally but is used to signify "Long Live". In modern japanese 「万歳」 is used as a cheer, much like "Hurray" in english. So the user title being translated to "Hurray Nintendo" isn't incorrect. 『フッミンガビルヅ』 is the result of a quick transliteration of a english word. The kana 「フ」 stands for both "Hu" and "Fu". Google chose the latter. The second word in my signature is 『バカワイイ』("bakawaii") which was created by merging the words 「バカ」('baka') and「カワイイ」('kawaii')。 『ジャナイ』(ja nai)、 the remaining bit, can be translated to either "are you" or "aren't you", depending on the tone and context so the second part would mean something like "aren't you bakawaii" or "are you bakawaii".

@dead5

Started AOE II , playing the William Wallace Campaign only 2 more tutorials to go. Have to stop now, have to eat, finish hw and sleep :(.

Shiva

gameranand

Living to Play
Are you trying to scare him away from GSGs even before he gets started? HOI III is probably one of the most complex GSG out there, and definitely isn't suited to a person who has no experience thinking through complex simulations and has never done any real micromanagement. EU III is probably the most beginner friendly one out there that doesn't try and mask the kind of domino effect your decisions can have.

I know him very well. He can handle that. I forced him to play DAO when he had no experience in RPG and he handled that nicely and now he is RPG lover I am sure he'll be able to handle these games also. :p

Piyush

Lanaya
I know him very well. He can handle that. I forced him to play DAO when he had no experience in RPG and he handled that nicely and now he is RPG lover I am sure he'll be able to handle these games also. :p

Haha thanks for the heads up :)
Will surely try one of these GSGs soon enough

Talking about RPGs, havent played a single good RPG for a while.
I wish Fallout 4 to launch soon

It ranges from slower than CiV's marathon speed setting to "How in the name of Arceus are we supposed to react this quick" fast. However, most of the time you will be playing it a fair bit slower than AOE 3.

I see
Will get accustomed to it while playing I'm sure.
Thanks for the much needed info. Will ping you again in this thread for possible doubts :)

gameranand

Living to Play
Actually the key in these games in not to ignore anything I mean anything. A small rebellion which you can easily stop and if you ignore it then it could mean a civil war real soon.

OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan

Even so, Dragon Age was one of the simpler RPGs and there is a world of difference between GSGs and RPGs.

Haha thanks for the heads up :)
Will surely try one of these GSGs soon enough

Talking about RPGs, havent played a single good RPG for a while.
I wish Fallout 4 to launch soon

I see
Will get accustomed to it while playing I'm sure.
Thanks for the much needed info. Will ping you again in this thread for possible doubts :)

Have you tried Ni No Kuni? As of writing, it is the second best RPG released in the west in 2013.

Actually the key in these games in not to ignore anything I mean anything. A small rebellion which you can easily stop and if you ignore it then it could mean a civil war real soon.

I'm curious on what prompted you to type this. Nothing in this thread seems to indicate that anything is worth ignoring.

Piyush

Lanaya
Have you tried Ni No Kuni? As of writing, it is the second best RPG released in the west in 2013.

Nope. But will try if the content is good. I always had, do and will prefer game content over graphics/ eye candy

gameranand

Living to Play
Even so, Dragon Age was one of the simpler RPGs and there is a world of difference between GSGs and RPGs.
That was a implication of my faith in him don't take that otherwise.

I'm curious on what prompted you to type this. Nothing in this thread seems to indicate that anything is worth ignoring.
That comment was specially for Piyush as he said that he is new to this genre so I gave him a heads up.

OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
What are the difference between eu 3, hoi 3 and Victoria??

Are there any gsg other than these world war games?

HOI is the only world war game in here.

Difference in time period:

Europa Universalis III takes place from 1399 - 1812.

Victoria II takes place from 1836 - 1936

Hearts of Iron III takes place from 1936 to 1948

Difference in focus:

Europa Universalis 3 focuses on empire management and diplomacy.

Victoria II focuses on economy and politics

Hearts of Iron III focuses on Military

Difference in Hardcore-ness

Europa Universalis III is hardcore.

Victoria II is hardcore-er

Hearts of Iron III is the hardcore-est

There are other GSGs like Crusader Kings II, Sengoku and Supreme Ruler: Cold War

Top Bottom