GPU upgrade advice for old rig

cygnusrifter

Right off the assembly line
hey guys, m thinking of upgrading my HD4850 to HD7850, along with a monitor upgrade. The main reason for starting this thread was, I want to know what all compatibility issues I will have with this new card n old hardware that I have mentioned below.

PSU - Cooler Master eXtreme power plus 500W

Budget - 16,000 (Max, for graphic card)

Resolution - 1920*1080 (maybe, if this new card & new monitor permits)

current PC specs -
CPU - AMD Phenom II X3 720BE @2.8ghz(stock)
MOTHERBOARD - Gigabyte ga ma 78 gm us2h
HDD - 2 Western Digital 1 TB HDDs + HITACHI 500 GB
RAM - 3 sticks of 2gb ddr2 kingston RAM 800mhz
GRAPHIC CARD - ATI/AMD HD 4850 GDDR3 512mb
SPEAKERS - logitech z5500
MONITOR - LG L1752S

I know this configuration is obsolete now :cry: but till date m playing on a 17" lcd. I like racing games along with few RPG. While playing racing games, I need decent frame rates n I do like to see the car in detail :| all games were fine with this monitor with max resolution of 1280*1024 until I got NFS Most Wanted 2. Though I heard many had that lag or stutter even with 10k+ graphic cards of this genre. but maybe m bored of this small screen n all now so m thinking of going for HD7850.

1st query - will my Cooler Master(which is black listed here :-( ) be able to handle HD7850? I would like to mention that I got all this in 2009, but till date I had no issues whatsoever. not even a single format, bsod or any error(touchwood).

2nd - phenom II x3 black edition will bottleneck HD7850?

3rd - should I upgrade my motherboard too for ddr3 board?

off thread query - full HD monitor to see the full potential of HD7850? if yes, which 1? again, shouldn't exceed 12k :oops:

m really tight on budget :-( if I had money, I would have upgraded all this long back :razz: my basic requirements are all mentioned above i.e decent frame rates @ 1080p.

last - what should I do with my old(but working) hardware i.e PSU & graphic card? can I replace them for new 1s from dealer?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Apart from your PSU, I don't think anything needs to be changed. Your configuration is pretty decent to handle HD 7850. If you feel any Bottleneck, then just overclock the CPU to 3 GHz+ and it is very easy with Black Edition Processors.

Get the Gigabyte HD 7850 2GB OC @ 13.8K (mdcomputers.in) and a Seasonic S12II 430 @ 3.5K (It is an under rated PSU, equivalent to CX 500 V2).

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
28k should get you a HD7870 @ 16k - Cilus knows very well where to find one ;-), A Corsair CX500v2 @ 3.3k and with the ~8k left you can get a 22 inch HD monitor easily.

Cilus

laborare est orare
If you are going for HD 7870 then Kolkata based Vedant Computer is the best place to get it. Currently it is available at 16K + 4% vat = Rs 16,640 there. If you want it then let me know, I'll provide you the Phone Number of the shop.

OP
C

cygnusrifter

If you are going for HD 7870 then Kolkata based Vedant Computer is the best place to get it. Currently it is available at 16K + 4% vat = Rs 16,640 there. If you want it then let me know, I'll provide you the Phone Number of the shop.

thanx a mill Sir, but I would like to save some money with HD7850 :-D once I start earning, thn I can think of expanding my budget & get new gear as n when released :)

Cilus

laborare est orare
I think Kolkata prices for even HD 7850 is also cheaper. You can actually save some ore money :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanx a mill Sir, but I would like to save some money with HD7850 :-D once I start earning, thn I can think of expanding my budget & get new gear as n when released :)

there's 15 percent performance difference between HD7850 and HD7870 and paying the extra 3k for HD7870 really worth it

OP
C

cygnusrifter

ummm I agree with you guys but :s thn I will save for a month .. hope price wont increase. 1 more thing, m in NCR(delhi).. should I get it from mdcomputers.in(online) or from nehru place in delhi? I hvnt bargained in my entire life so i will go with d price that is offered :( prices on flipkart are too much !! 15500 for sapphire HD7850

Myth

Cyborg Agent
Refer to FK for item details not for purchase. :p

Purchasing locally from delhi might be better. Even if it is cheaper in kolkata, getting it delivered to delhi will even the total cost.

In kolkata, vedant is cheaper than mdcomuters, but has no online facility. You can ask them for prices and delivery charges to delhi.

Top Bottom