But first things first - my present config :
i3 540
gigabyte h55m-s2 MB
seagate 1 tb 5400 rpm
trascend 1333mhz 4 gb ram
sapphire hd5450 2 gb gpu

i would like my upgrade in the following order
1. ups (my numeric 600 ex breathed its last :() 2. SMPS 3. GPU

ALL these purchases would be done in 2-3 months time frame keeping the GPU in mind
so the gpu - budget - 20k - 22 k - ideally looking at r9 280x or the gtx 760 - purpose would be gaming in mid to high level settings in new games like BF3/4 for the next 2-3 years... please suggest specific make .... and also any guidelines as to what should be my choice in this budget . Also pls let me know if there is any upcoming models that need to be waited for . I hear amd just released the 285 ... not sure of the performance though . Also Pls comment on any sort of bottlenecking issues i might face .

smps - the smps should be able to support the gpu - ideally looking at seasonic s12II 620w or the Seasonic M12II-750 EVO
PLS suggest - budget 8k max

ups - should provide voltage correction in the range 140-250v and work with the proposed load providing backup for atleast 30 mins - ideally looking at APC Back-UPS 1100(BR1100CI-IN) or the APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 1000 with LCD(BR1000G-IN) or the Microteck twin guard plus - budget 8500 max

pls be kind enough to suggest any other models and make that might be better choice in my budget .

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
Dear all ,

I am in the process of a upgrade for the following 3 items

1. ups
2. gpu
3. smps

But first things first - my present config :
i3 540
gigabyte h55m-s2 MB
seagate 1 tb 5400 rpm
trascend 1333mhz 4 gb ram
sapphire hd5450 2 gb gpu

i would like my upgrade in the following order
1. ups (my numeric 600 ex breathed its last :() 2. SMPS 3. GPU

ALL these purchases would be done in 2-3 months time frame keeping the GPU in mind
so the gpu - budget - 20k - 22 k - ideally looking at r9 280x or the gtx 760 - purpose would be gaming in mid to high level settings in new games like BF3/4 for the next 2-3 years... please suggest specific make .... and also any guidelines as to what should be my choice in this budget . Also pls let me know if there is any upcoming models that need to be waited for . I hear amd just released the 285 ... not sure of the performance though . Also Pls comment on any sort of bottlenecking issues i might face .

smps - the smps should be able to support the gpu - ideally looking at seasonic s12II 620w or the Seasonic M12II-750 EVO
PLS suggest - budget 8k max

ups - should provide voltage correction in the range 140-250v and work with the proposed load providing backup for atleast 30 mins - ideally looking at APC Back-UPS 1100(BR1100CI-IN) or the APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 1000 with LCD(BR1000G-IN) or the Microteck twin guard plus - budget 8500 max

pls be kind enough to suggest any other models and make that might be better choice in my budget .

oh and 1 more thing - i am currently running a 19" monitor - 1600x900 resolution

waiting for your replies

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
2-3 months is a long time and by then you will see nvidia 9xx series gpus and rival amd gpus on the market so your decision of getting a R9 280x / GTX 760 might change.

Now about bottleneck : your cpu is not too suitable to get the most out of gpus in R9 280/ 285's league so better upgrade to i5 4xxx based config if you can. If you are not planning for multi gpu setup then 620w is more than enough ... even 520W will do just fine.

Go for APC ups without any second thought.

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
2-3 months is a long time and by then you will see nvidia 9xx series gpus and rival amd gpus on the market so your decision of getting a R9 280x / GTX 760 might change.

Now about bottleneck : your cpu is not too suitable to get the most out of gpus in R9 280/ 285's league so better upgrade to i5 4xxx based config if you can. If you are not planning for multi gpu setup then 620w is more than enough ... even 520W will do just fine.

Go for APC ups without any second thought.

thanks for your valued comment : which apc were u speaking of APC Back-UPS 1100(BR1100CI-IN) or the APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 1000 with LCD(BR1000G-IN) ... any way in future if i am to upgrade my cpu (because of bottlenecking issues) which might also include my mob(1156) .. would 620 watts still be enough ?
and since the gpu comes third in the list of purchases ... i would not like to regret that if i had a smps x then i would be able to run that gpu .... guess i am able to fully express myself

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000 or 1100VA either way you can't go wrong. I can understand your concern about the PSU and if you are not planning on a multi gpu setup or dual gpu card in the future then 620W ought to be enough.

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
1000 or 1100VA either way you can't go wrong. I can understand your concern about the PSU and if you are not planning on a multi gpu setup or dual gpu card in the future then 620W ought to be enough.

thanks for your clarification
i think i would go with the apc br1100ci-in ...... comes around 5300/- as per online sources ..... also about 2k cheaper than the backup pro 1000 option .... no need of an lcd display in providing battery backup ... right ? what's your opinion .

btw since u mentioned that my i3 540 might face some bottlenecking issues ...... it being a lga 1156 socket one i will have to also change my mob when i try to upgrade my cpu. .... on that thought ..... what should be the psu ratings for a sli system(2 gpu) ?

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
i think i would go with the apc br1100ci-in ...... comes around 5300/- as per online sources ..... also about 2k cheaper than the backup pro 1000 option .... no need of an lcd display in providing battery backup ... right ? what's your opinion .

btw since u mentioned that my i3 540 might face some bottlenecking issues ...... it being a lga 1156 socket one i will have to also change my mob when i try to upgrade my cpu. .... on that thought ..... what should be the psu ratings for a sli system(2 gpu) ?

answers please ......

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
That LCD display shows some useful infos but you can live without it. If you want to build a SLI system do post what cpu and gpu you have in mind.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl

Welcome to Intel Club. Its frustrating :)

For SLI/CF Thing better get 850W+ PSU minimum. Btw for a Single Monitor Setup SLI is useless. Better use a single good card than 2 puny ones in SLI.

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
done with my shopping
apc br1100ci-in ---> 5250 + 5%vat
corsair rm 750 ---> 7900 + 5% vat

hope i made the correct choice :Fingerx:

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
done with my shopping
apc br1100ci-in ---> 5250 + 5%vat
corsair rm 750 ---> 7900 + 5% vat

hope i made the correct choice :Fingerx:

me and my dammed luck
3 days after running fine my h55m-s2 mob goes kaput .... warranty over going for paid rma ...... :hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
You spent too much on the PSU, Really 8k on PSU ?!
I hope you are going for R9 280X or GTX 770 or beyond

and bad luck on that mobo mate :( how much did you spend for repair

saswat23

Human Spambot
You should have saved some of your budget for upgrading your Processor and Motherboard as well.
Using such a powerful card with 3-4 gen. old i3 processor wont give you the desired performance.

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
the idea is to go for a gpu in the next 2-3 months ... budget 20k(approx) ..... will go for processor and mobo upgrade when ddr4 come to mainstream arena(prices come down to sane levels :youwish:) ... i hear the E - series processors marks the advent of ddr4 ram and supporting mobos .... as for the rma they still inspecting ... yet to put a price tag ... they say a tag of 500-900 if at all .:Fingerx:

amjath

Human Spambot
Any plans for Monitor upgrade? As far as GPU suggestion, R9 280x fits your budget and its VFM, 1080p performer for your budget

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
Any plans for Monitor upgrade? As far as GPU suggestion, R9 280x fits your budget and its VFM, 1080p performer for your budget

no plans for monitor upgrade unless my current one goes dead ..... wishing the 290 to fall below 25k mark in the mean time before end of year

- - - Updated - - -

no plans for monitor upgrade unless my current one goes dead ..... wishing the 290 to fall below 25k mark in the mean time before end of year

could u also mention comparable card from nvidia stable (same budget) worth looking out for ....

amjath

Human Spambot

- - - Updated - - -

could u also mention comparable card from nvidia stable (same budget) worth looking out for ....

You gonna play with 1600 X 900 resolution with R9 290 or other cards?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway GTX 970 is n the house for around 29k it may go down or wait for GTX 960 [no confirmation]

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
AMD has started to slash prices :

The Radeon R9 290 has dropped from its $399 price to $299, while its more powerful brother, the R9 290X drops from $549 to $399, a drop of $150. The R9 285 has also dropped to $229 or so, while the 280X is down to around $269. The new price cuts are effective immediately, with Newegg and Amazon prices being adjusted already.

*www.digit.in/forum/graphic-cards/117078-gpu-news-channel-post2165638.html#post2165638

OP
NeedToKnow

NeedToKnow

Journeyman
been a week since i got the mob .... running fine except for this

- - - Updated - - -

*s10.postimg.org/m49jf8xtl/111.jpg 111.jpg

someone please tell these temperatures are normal:confused:

Top Bottom