GPU NEWS Channel

quicky008

Technomancer
No it hardly looks different from the original game, which despite what people say, i never regarded to be that visually impressive in the first place.

In fact crysis 2 and 3 looked far better than crysis 1 and even this remastered release looks nowhere as good as those 2.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
The remaster looks like it was a port of the console port. They removed quick save/ quick load, leaning options, etc.
*www.dsogaming.com/articles/crysis-...iginal-pc-2007-version-has-worse-pc-controls/

What a disappointing remaster.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
No it hardly looks different from the original game, which despite what people say, i never regarded to be that visually impressive in the first place.

In fact crysis 2 and 3 looked far better than crysis 1 and even this remastered release looks nowhere as good as those 2.

You don't compare Crysis 1 to 2 and 3. You compare Crysis 1 to Half Life 2 Episode 2, Bioshock, CoD:MW, Halo 2 (yes Halo 2 was released on PC in 2007)

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
3080.PNG

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
*www.techpowerup.com/272591/rtx-308...ly-connected-to-aib-designed-capacitor-choice

Another reason for this, according to Igor, is the actual "reference board" PG132 design, which is used as a reference, "Base Design" for partners to architecture their custom cards around. The thing here is that apparently NVIDIA's BOM left open choices in terms of power cleanup and regulation in the mounted capacitors. The Base Design features six mandatory capacitors for filtering high frequencies on the voltage rails (NVVDD and MSVDD). There are a number of choices for capacitors to be installed here, with varying levels of capability. POSCAPs (Conductive Polymer Tantalum Solid Capacitors) are generally worse than SP-CAPs (Conductive Polymer-Aluminium-Electrolytic-Capacitors) which are superseded in quality by MLCCs (Multilayer Ceramic Chip Capacitor, which have to be deployed in groups). Below is the circuitry arrangement employed below the BGA array where NVIDIA's GA-102 chip is seated, which corresponds to the central area on the back of the PCB.

In the images below, you can see how NVIDIA and it's AIBs designed this regulator circuitry (NVIDIA Founders' Edition, MSI Gaming X, ZOTAC Trinity, and ASUS TUF Gaming OC in order, from our reviews' high resolution teardowns). NVIDIA in their Founders' Edition designs uses a hybrid capacitor deployment, with four SP-CAPs and two MLCC groups of 10 individual capacitors each in the center. MSI uses a single MLCC group in the central arrangement, with five SP-CAPs guaranteeing the rest of the cleanup duties. ZOTAC went the cheapest way (which may be one of the reasons their cards are also among the cheapest), with a six POSCAP design (which are worse than MLCCs, remember). ASUS, however, designed their TUF with six MLCC arrangements - there were no savings done in this power circuitry area.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
So, thanks to Facebook, the linux maintainers got rid of some bindings that enabled companies like Nvidia to make proprietary drivers as kernel modules for linux. As of kernel version 5.9 Nvidia drivers are no longer compatible.

Also, Nvidia won't have a fix until the end of next month at the very least. For rolling release distributions this means breaking compatibility with Nvidia hardware if they update to the latest kernel patches.

In any case AMD is a much better choice for anyone not using Windows.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Best thing is that AMD drivers have very good support for Mesa, something that the Nvidia BLOB lacks. Nouveau is better supported unless you require graphics heavy workloads.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Best thing is that AMD drivers have very good support for Mesa, something that the Nvidia BLOB lacks. Nouveau is better supported unless you require graphics heavy workloads.
Nouveau sucks for anything that's recent-ish. I couldn't run even KDE on nouveau three years after Kepler was launched. Even as late as 2018 I couldn't use the GTX 780 on my desktop or as late as 2019 use my 940 MX on my laptop to play games.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
On Linux? I haven't gauged Nouveau's performance myself. Whenever I install a new distro, replacing Nouveau (if it's preinstalled, like with Mint) with the Nvidia official driver is the first thing I do.
Games is one thing, but if a literal desktop environment breaks, then you've got more fundamental issues.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Perhaps this is only a KDE specific issue. Cinnamon worked fine on Nouveau back when I tried Mint, for the brief period I used it that is.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
*www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-founders-edition/35.html

*tpucdn.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-founders-edition/images/relative-performance_3840-2160.png

Capture.PNG

Top Bottom