Busy!!
R9 280 non-X is here

AMD Launches $279 /

XFX already announced r9 280
XFX Releases Radeon R9 280 Double Dissipation Graphics Cards

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
NVIDIA Drops Driver Support for over a Hundred Graphics Cards
NVIDIA has announced that its “legacy” products will no longer be supported by its drivers. The Release 340 drivers will be the last ones to bring optimizations for them.
After that, NVIDIA will move all Direct3D 10 graphics processing units (GPUs) to legacy status, leaving only Fermi, Kepler and Maxwell cards supported.
NVIDIA may still offer some bug fixes if any emerge after that point, but genuine driver refinements and feature additions will no longer happen.

TheGibMaker

Level 9 Commissar
Mobile Maxwell Summary :
boostAnandTech | NVIDIA
Pretty neat, IMO. also, either NVIDIA is a lying little runt, or we in for one hell of a performance upgrade in laptops.
Buckle up, Jimbo! Yeehaw! :horse:

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE DUAL-X 14-202-099 Radeon R9 280 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card
Newegg.com - XFX Black Edition Double D R9-280A-TDBD Radeon R9 280 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

a couple R9 280 has appeared on Newegg, priced at the R9 280x launch price 299$
still no review though

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
During the Microsoft®-sponsored panel, DirectX: Evolving Microsoft's Graphics Platform, AMD revealed that it will support DirectX® 12 on all AMD Radeon™ GPUs that feature the Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture.
**www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/amd-demonstrates-2014mar20.aspx

In addition, NVIDIA will match Microsoft OS support for DX12. Over 70% of gaming PCs are now DX11 based. NVIDIA will support the DX12 API on all the DX11-class GPUs it has shipped; these belong to the Fermi, Kepler and Maxwell architectural families.
DirectX 12: A Major Stride for Gaming | NVIDIA Blog

All the pre GCN DX11 cards by AMD has been left in the lurch :(
namely the HD 6000 and HD 5000 series (including my extremely capable HD 6850

but thankfully DX12 wouldn't be around earlier than 2015, but by my guess games will start pouring in only by 2016, games for DX11 only started appearing on a large scale only after 2 years of DX 11 release .
However, don’t expect that to happen anytime soon. Microsoft expects to release DirectX 12 during the 2015 holiday season
*www.pcworld.com/article/2109596/directx-12-vs-mantle-comparing-pc-gamings-software-supercharged-future.html

Last edited:

rock2702

Padawan

What will dx 12 bring in terms of graphics?

funkysourav

What The.... !!!

So what does DirectX 12 mean for you, the consumer? Easy: It’s more efficient—and thus faster—than what came before, providing a leap ahead in graphics potential. Gosalia showed off DirectX 12’s power with a demonstration of the 3DMark benchmarking software. With DirectX 11, the machine’s four cores were unbalanced—one core carried most of the load, while the other three sat mostly idle.

I think its more of a Hardware optimization, games that support DX 12 will be more optimized for multiple CPU cores and stuff.

read this article for more info
DirectX 12 vs. Mantle: Comparing PC gaming's software-supercharged future | PCWorld

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

but thankfully DX12 wouldn't be around earlier than 2015, but by my guess games will start pouring in only by 2016, games for DX11 only started appearing on a large scale only after 2 years of DX 11 release .
DirectX 12 vs. Mantle: Comparing PC gaming's software-supercharged future | PCWorld

by that time, your 6850 will not be capable of playing many games ;)

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
by that time, your 6850 will not be capable of playing many games ;)
actually I am thankful for that, that I don't have to upgrade right now, and if I do upgrade, it won't matter much by 2016

By the time Dx12 becomes mainstream, I'd have an excuse and the monies to revamp my system.

mastermunj

In the zone

It's for allowing game developers to do low level programming, just like old days, and draw more performance from underlying hardware. Games will be able to perform better on PCs relatively with same hardware (based on support) for DX12 optimized game.

Top Bottom