GPU NEWS Channel

tkin

Back to school!!
Good heavens, I think AMD is trying to make up for all the renaming competition it lost to nVidia for the past few years, history is repeating itself, first there is mantle, which will be platform specific, just like nVidia's PhysX was, so at the end, whoever is on top will always act crazy, waiting for the day when AMD flagship cards with 5% better performance will sell for $999 :-x

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Good heavens, I think AMD is trying to make up for all the renaming competition it lost to nVidia for the past few years, history is repeating itself, first there is mantle, which will be platform specific, just like nVidia's PhysX was, so at the end, whoever is on top will always act crazy, waiting for the day when AMD flagship cards with 5% better performance will sell for $999 :-x

Being so somehow it boosted performance of Intel entry level CPUs better than some APUs :(

tkin

Back to school!!
Being so somehow it boosted performance of Intel entry level CPUs better than some APUs :(
That was never really the issue was it? Just like MLAA, when nVidia released FXAA it was released for all platforms, unlike MLAA, and PhysX did look good on some games, nVidia kept it platform locked, same with Mantle, nothing to suggest it can't work it nVidia cards if AMD were to release the source code to public. I was just pointing out how things have changed since AMD became the GPU king in desktop as well as consoles, yet I don't see people protesting it as much as they did when nVidia did similar things :wink:

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
yes that's true, even G-sync more effective and visually explicit a tech is being criticized for being proprietary( i fail to understand why every time it has to be a charity?), free-sync tried to dump it hard , but was quickly found lacking feasibility issues trying to follow a s/w approach. Mantle was hyped much, one game, FPS gain..is the main story now, for the FPS gain part it sounds promising and it is but also limited to one title, but as i pointed out earlier, the reason world dint accept glide/3dfx can also threaten mantle as well, deniable compatibility. DX11 is still out there large.

tkin

Back to school!!
yes that's true, even G-sync more effective and visually explicit a tech is being criticized for being proprietary( i fail to understand why every time it has to be a charity?), free-sync tried to dump it hard , but was quickly found lacking feasibility issues trying to follow a s/w approach. Mantle was hyped much, one game, FPS gain..is the main story now, for the FPS gain part it sounds promising and it is but also limited to one title, but as i pointed out earlier, the reason world dint accept glide/3dfx can also threaten mantle as well, deniable compatibility. DX11 is still out there large.
I hate propitiatory cr@p, hated PhysX when I had the 580, same here, games like Witcher, Assassin's Creed, Metro, Red Faction Armageddon has showed us nothing is needed, RFA put PhysX to shame.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
IMO PhyX was not even something which meant FPS gains(if not turning it on used to put cards to knees ), said that i don't hate it much as it comes free with a card, and it was not something which can be called a must-have. Hence the idea of making it non-propitiatory was equally lame( who would deny their own studio-grown physics to it).

I don't find nvidia making too much effort to make it a hard SP for their cards now a days, neither charging extra for it, their pricing track has always been on the up-side anyway. Mantle on the other hand is actually giving boost to frame rate, which will attract many, specially those with strict budget and a lean towards MP experience in selective titles.

tkin

Back to school!!
IMO PhyX was not even something which meant FPS gains(if not turning it on used to put cards to knees ), said that i don't hate it much as it comes free with a card, and it was not something which can be called a must-have. Hence the idea of making it non-propitiatory was equally lame( who would deny their own studio-grown physics to it).

I don't find nvidia making too much effort to make it a hard SP for their cards now a days, neither charging extra for it, their pricing track has always been on the up-side anyway. Mantle on the other hand is actually giving boost to frame rate, which will attract many, specially those with strict budget and a lean towards MP experience in selective titles.
I don't think so, it was strictly optional, if you turned it on, you get some fancy effects, but if you didn't have a nVidia card it will run on CPU and even high end CPUs were not able to handle it due to poor x87 code. You could always play without PhysX, it was never mandatory, it never crippled any game, all PhysX games ran fine on AMD, just you wouldn't get some fancy debris and fire effects.

PS: Even playing without PhysX you will still need the PhysX software as a lot of games use PhysX that ran on CPU without crippling it, and there are no settings for it, as it is the primary Physics engine for the game. It also runs on consoles as well.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
I don't think so, it was strictly optional, if you turned it on, you get some fancy effects, but if you didn't have a nVidia card it will run on CPU and even high end CPUs were not able to handle it due to poor x87 code. You could always play without PhysX, it was never mandatory, it never crippled any game, all PhysX games ran fine on AMD, just you wouldn't get some fancy debris and fire effects.

PS: Even playing without PhysX you will still need the PhysX software as a lot of games use PhysX that ran on CPU without crippling it, and there are no settings for it, as it is the primary Physics engine for the game. It also runs on consoles as well.

i played BL2 a lot with phyx on, even turning it to medium made the game look awesome, but definitely without doubt it ran with lower FPs, a lot lower FPS. Batman AO, metro 2033 and LL also had performance impacts.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
900x900px-LL-0e3f1080_GeForce-GTX-750-and-750-Ti-performance.jpg

this looks very promising....

Moving on to more detailed benchmarks. In AMD titles, like Tomb Raider or Battlefield 4 the difference is almost nonexistent. Other games follow the same path. We have a 5% (Tomb Raider) to 38% (COD) performance difference. The average is 20%, so it’s safe to assume that we are looking at 10-15% difference.
Let’s not forget Radeon R7 260X has 896 Stream Processors and 56 Texture Units, so it’s quite obvious that Maxwell is more powerful on architectural level, providing better performance with almost twice less power consumption.

There is one key part that wasn’t covered yet. Because of extremely low TDP the clocks speeds suffered. NVIDIA had to choose the lowest possible clocks to obtain 60W. For that reason Maxwell GM107 GPU has extreme overclocking potential. In fact you will even find cards with 28% factory-overclocking.

Long story short, you will easily be able to obtain 1200 MHz clock, but only with the cards equipped with additional power connectors.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
At least Mantle helps to make a game run faster rather than slowing it down, unlike PhysX. lol.

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti and GeForce GTX 750 launched in India

Its a killer deal at those prices considering the 750 ti card performs better than the older 650 ti and the R7 260x, and almost similar to the 650 ti boost in some titles. And to mention its a 60 W card. Sure lags behind R7 265, but AMD have not released the price for it yet.
Source

Last edited:
Top Bottom