GPU NEWS Channel

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
i've read that ati is planning a refresh - like the hd4890
its already been 6 months since launch of 5870.. so its highly likely...
so nvidia look like they are in for a rough ride

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
*i.tpucdn.com/images/news/nvidia.gif
NVIDIA To Unveil GeForce GTX 400 Series at PAX

NVIDIA*images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/mag-glass_10x10.gif built a fair bit of hype over the weekend on Twitter, when it said that come Monday, it would make a "major announcement". It turns out that the company will unveil its GeForce GTX 400 series graphics card at the PAX East gaming event to be held in late March, on the 26th, 31 days away at the time of preparing this report. The PAX East event will be held in Boston, United States.

NVIDIA will unveil two of its high-end, next-generation graphics cards*images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/mag-glass_10x10.gif based on the GeForce GTX 480 and GeForce GTX 470. Being DirectX 11 compliant marks that generation shift. An American online retailer listed the GeForce GTX 480 for US $699 on pre-order.

*i.tpucdn.com/img/10-02-22/90a_thm.jpg​

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
Darnit! GTX470 for 25K! And they said Fermi's yields are poor. Only 'bout 8K-10K cards. It's better to buy HD5850 with Bad Company 2. Yeah!

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
I am laughing at all the guys, who had been waiting for Fermi, and had been posting "wait for the Fermi to come out". The Fermi is priced so high, that ATI will not even change prices a notch.

tkin

Back to school!!
Darnit! GTX470 for 25K! And they said Fermi's yields are poor. Only 'bout 8K-10K cards. It's better to buy HD5850 with Bad Company 2. Yeah!
Yeah, about that, I just looked it up a bit and noticed something interesting:

*img251.imageshack.us/img251/9013/qwej.jpg

GTX470 is actually for 21-22K(429$)
Theres one thing though, with a 429$ pricetag GTX470 will sell like hot cakes and you won't be able to buy one till June/July, I am rather planning on holding back till a game is launched which shows graphics improvements with DX11, AVP looks same in DX9 as in DX11(a bit soft shadow and processing), DiRT2 is same, so next up BFBC2, and since its a console port it will behave the same, AC2 doesn't even have a DX11 mode, go figure.

By the looks of things GTX470 performs faster than HD5850, but is a tad slower than HD5870 which puts it right in the proper price segment, here's the order I think,
HD5970(35k)>GTX480(33K)>HD5870(24k)>GTX470(21-23k)>HD5850(16k), if all goes well, we are looking at HD5850 @ 12-13k by June(maybe then I can afford one, right now I am being torn apart whether to get a new GPU or a quad core proccy).

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Ya, that pricing of around 22K seems reasonable for the GTX470. We need to see some real numbers. Man, this time round nVidia is really keeping consumers open for speculation.

Why you want a Quad on your LGA775. The E8400, is good man. OC that bad boy, and feel the difference.

tkin

Back to school!!
Ya, that pricing of around 22K seems reasonable for the GTX470. We need to see some real numbers. Man, this time round nVidia is really keeping consumers open for speculation.

Why you want a Quad on your LGA775. The E8400, is good man. OC that bad boy, and feel the difference.
Yeah, I was thinking the same, can you suggest a good CPU cooler @ 4-5k max?

The DX11 gen isn't anything special, 2 half bakes games so far, 1-2 more in 2011, by 2012 win 8 will launch alongside DX11.1 or 12 probably, apart from that next gen consoles likely to hit in 2012, so maybe I'll stick with my GPU now and get the fastest GPU then.

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
^Gladly I bought a Phenom II X4 920. I know it ain't good, but suits me well. BTW, yeah, DX11 didn't do wonder. Again. While playin' a game, you will not be seein' fine details like smooth curves of aliens, will you? BC2 looks way better than awesome [of course, Crysis' still the king. Don't know how C2 will be. I just wonder] in X360 itself, so PC will be better eye-candy. As you said, ACII isn't even DX10! :(

tkin

Back to school!!
^Gladly I bought a Phenom II X4 920. I know it ain't good, but suits me well. BTW, yeah, DX11 didn't do wonder. Again. While playin' a game, you will not be seein' fine details like smooth curves of aliens, will you? BC2 looks way better than awesome [of course, Crysis' still the king. Don't know how C2 will be. I just wonder] in X360 itself, so PC will be better eye-candy. As you said, ACII isn't even DX10! :(
Smooth curves are not the issue, and you can't notice it, you can have smooth shadows, but then again the gameplay sucks.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, I was thinking the same, can you suggest a good CPU cooler @ 4-5k max?

The DX11 gen isn't anything special, 2 half bakes games so far, 1-2 more in 2011, by 2012 win 8 will launch alongside DX11.1 or 12 probably, apart from that next gen consoles likely to hit in 2012, so maybe I'll stick with my GPU now and get the fastest GPU then.

Get the Cooler Master Hyper 212. It is around 2.2K. Is bolt - down, so you will need to remove the motherboard. Really good.

Yes, apart from tesselation Dx.11 is not offering much more. True.

tkin

Back to school!!
^Yeah, that transition sucks! We don't know where we're goin'. Any upgrade(s), budd?
Nope, saving up, I'll probably get mine when northern islands, charlie and fermi2 duke it out later at Q12011, if some super cool DX11 games(Dirt2 and AVP) runs awesome in my setup why should I change now?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
ATI Radeon HD5830 Released :p

I think it deserves a separate thread anyway :p
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124675

tkin

Back to school!!
ATI Radeon HD5830 Released :p

I think it deserves a separate thread anyway :p
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124675
Too many bottlenecks, power consumption is way too high, even higher than HD5850, the 1-2k difference isn't worth it.

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
Nope, saving up, I'll probably get mine when northern islands, charlie and fermi2 duke it out later at Q12011, if some super cool DX11 games(Dirt2 and AVP) runs awesome in my setup why should I change now?

As I have seen, every game runs fluidly with our system. BC2 is gonna be awesome in graphics, they save that the Bolivian jungles [in game] is comparable to Crysis as we can "deforest" the whole jungle, know what I mean? Every tree in that jungle! Hoping to see gameplay of C2 at E3 '10.

tkin

Back to school!!
As I have seen, every game runs fluidly with our system. BC2 is gonna be awesome in graphics, they save that the Bolivian jungles [in game] is comparable to Crysis as we can "deforest" the whole jungle, know what I mean? Every tree in that jungle! Hoping to see gameplay of C2 at E3 '10.
Not even close to crysis, based on initial HD gameplay footage in youtube and screen shots, Crysis still reigns supreme.

And we think that technology is progressing :evil:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
SPIED: Nvidia GeForce GTX 480 Fermi Board Shot

The big daddy Fermi is stripped naked for all to see. Naughty bits are censored, though.

With CeBit underway in Germany, Nvidia is quietly showing off its GF100-based silicon ahead of its March 26 official unveil.

Earlier this week, we already caught a glimpse of the GeForce GTX 470 with its cutout vents that will work together with the cooler. Now Dutch site Tweakers.net (translated) has a few pictures of the GeForce GTX 480, which shows the GPU without a cooler in the way.

*media.bestofmicro.com/,H-7-240379-3.jpg

Tweakers.net notes that the package is stamped with an A2 revision, meaning that it may not be final silicon since an A3 is known to exist as well. The site notes that there are 12 chips of 128MB each, making up 1.5GB of RAM. There are also two SLI connectors for the possibility of three-way SLI.

*www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-GeForce-GTX-480-Fermi,9800.html

Top Bottom