GPU buying confusion

hawx

Broken In
hi,i want to buy a graphics card,my budget around 6k

1.My current system is
intel dual core cpu E2180 @ 2.00GHz and intel DG31PR motherboard with 2gb ddr2 @800 mhz
2.Powers supply VIP 400 watt
3.Now my requirement is that the card should be able to play all the latest games at low-medium settings and resolution of 1024*768 minimum.
Also tell me if i need some additional upgrade to my system like new psu or cpu
P.S i can just afford the card now though can upgrade my system later :(

I have short listed a few cards here
Zotac 630 GT-1 gb-GDDR5
Zotac 630 GT-4 gb-GDDR3
PowerColor Radeon 6670-2Gb-GDDR3
(Info Source for above card is Online Shopping India - Shop Online for Books, Mobile Phones, Digital Cameras, Watches & More at Flipkart.com)

Now my query is whether should i buy the GDDR5 or GDDR3,because the latter offers more size at less bandwidth(Keeping Rest of card specs same) or should i go with radeon,which one is better,
If any better option is available in geforce 5xx or 4xx series even that are welcome,but my priority are the above models because its little hard to get 5xx and 4xx series card in market
Thanx in advance for the help guys,its much appreciated :cool:

tkin

Back to school!!
A graphics card on your system would do you no good as the CPU will choke it to death, but if you have to get one absolutely: SAPPHIRE GRAPHICS CARD HD 6450 1GB DDR3

OP
H

hawx

Broken In
What about the cards which i mentioned,see ryt now i can only afford the card,cause i'm upgrading my system in bits,so first going for card later down the line a cpu and new mobo and so on,so should i get the one suggested by you or do you have second thoughts about the cards which i listed out...:)

tkin

Back to school!!
What about the cards which i mentioned,see ryt now i can only afford the card,cause i'm upgrading my system in bits,so first going for card later down the line a cpu and new mobo and so on,so should i get the one suggested by you or do you have second thoughts about the cards which i listed out...:)
Oh, so you plan on a upgrade path later: SAPPHIRE GRAPHICS CARD HD 7750 1GB DDR5

If you are absolutely constrained to 6k: SAPPHIRE GRAPHICS CARD HD 6670 1GB DDR5

Below GTX650 no nvidia card is worth buying atm.

A word of caution though, I have no idea what might happen if you use a graphic card with that power supply, it could very well not work, or blow up, so you might want to be a bit cautious in this regard.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
at-least it'e better than Intex ;-) anyway, Corsair VS350/VS450 is priced much lower around 2/2.2k and is better and should suffice Op's needs .

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Dude get a better power supply, a Cooler master one. I blew up my card 4 years back with an Intex SMPS.
lets not advice someone if we are not really sure about what best it takes.

Anways, for your info, CM PSU's are as good as the local ones and are more prone to failures (there are some exceptions though and ofcourse it comes with a good price tag).

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
For HD6670 or 7750 you are going to need a good PSU, preferably, CX430V2 or VS450, depending on your budget.

ghost_z

Ghost From Hell !
@d6bmg You spoke quite the opposite, hd 7750 and hd 6670 does not require a good psu at all, and can run on those half decent el cheapo psus too, now i said half decent for a reason ;)
secondly to the OP ,
buy cx 430/cx 500 at least for any kind of future upgradation, as for gpu hd 750 fits the bill although i would advise yout o increase the budget a bit and go for hd 7770 instead !

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
@d6bmg You spoke quite the opposite, hd 7750 and hd 6670 does not require a good psu at all, and can run on those half decent el cheapo psus too, now i said half decent for a reason ;)
secondly to the OP ,
buy cx 430/cx 500 at least for any kind of future upgradation, as for gpu hd 750 fits the bill although i would advise yout o increase the budget a bit and go for hd 7770 instead !

HD 6670 needs a minimum of 66W and max of 92Watt (if not overclocked). The 5670 uses a bit less power than the 6670.
Let the review say facts for me:
(Tested) ASUS Radeon HD 6670 Review - 3D Tech News and Pixel Hacking - Geeks3D.com

ghost_z

Ghost From Hell !
well did i say it does not require psu :p
i said it will run perfectly on psus like zebby platinum series, vip and the likes , thats why i said half decent
but surely i won't risk em with frontech/iball/local cheap ones which comes in the cheapest of the cheap cabinets ;)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
HD 6670 needs a minimum of 66W and max of 92Watt (if not overclocked). The 5670 uses a bit less power than the 6670.
Let the review say facts for me:
(Tested) ASUS Radeon HD 6670 Review - 3D Tech News and Pixel Hacking - Geeks3D.com

just a thought : HD6670 needs no external cpi-e power supply through pci-e adapter from PSu sans the mobo's pci-e slot and mobo's slot can provide 75W max - so how come HD6670 can consume 92W ?!!

ASHISH65

Technomancer
hd 6670 consumes 58w at MAXIMUM LOAD. power_maximum.gif

vip psu is better than other local psu.can you tell us +12v amperage ratings of your psu.you will find at sticker of psu.

it should have atleast 18a on +12v to run hd 6670

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
yep, TDP is not a very good measure of how much power a CPU/GPU will draw rather it's mostly suitable for heat sink specs as TDP indicates how much heat a cooler/heatsink needs to dissipate.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
yep, TDP is not a very good measure of how much power a CPU/GPU will draw rather it's mostly suitable for heat sink specs as TDP indicates how much heat a cooler/heatsink needs to dissipate.
+100 here. Most people don't know about this.

nickzcool

Broken In
Guys iam going bit out of topic. But iam in trouble. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170229 please go through this link and suggest me any conclusion . It is related to psu i guess.

Top Bottom