GPU and CPU Overheating

K3npachi

MorganKell
Hey mates.
From the last couple of days my PC has started overheating.
I'm recording temp of close to 80 degress on Idle :shock:
Below are some screen's i have taken
*i48.tinypic.com/2qdy97m.jpg
*i50.tinypic.com/2qvqu10.jpg

Now coming to my Setup.
I have a front intake fan and Back Exhaust fan, and the Intel Stock HSF. All of 'em are working.
Any Help. ? :-?

kk_590

Broken In
Even I faced such issues in the past. What I used to do is, remove each and every component of my computer, blow some air to remove the dust and assemble back.
*i45.tinypic.com/34r80mu.jpg
Try the following steps
1) Open you cabinet and take out the graphic card. If it has a cooling fan on it, take a soft brush and clean the dust accumulated on the fan (Be careful not to damage the fan). If your graphic card is passively cooled, clean the fins.
2) Ensure that there isn't anything blocking the fan or fins on graphic card (like wires or other PCI cards)
and it is always a good idea to clean other parts like CPU heat sink, heat sink on motherboard when you open up the cabinet.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
The last time I got a similar problem is when my heatsink got a little dislocated from the CPU, causing a slight gap between the surfaces. If your GPU is not under warranty, I'd suggest, you remove the heatsink, replace the thermal compound and replace the heatsink firmly. Should help.

If it is under warranty, get it checked at the service center. I think Rashi is the supplier.

OP
K3npachi

K3npachi

MorganKell
Started taking apart my PC Today.
Found out that my GPU (Zotac 9400GT) Fan was not spinning. All other fans were working perfectly.
So any suggestions for making the fan move or should i search for a new GPU ? :(

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Found out that my GPU (Zotac 9400GT) Fan was not spinning. All other fans were working perfectly.
So any suggestions for making the fan move or should i search for a new GPU ? :(

Check if the fans power connector is connected to the card. Does your GPU require external power?
Posted via Mobile Device

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

reTIM CPU. for the GPU, visit any hardware repair shop and ask them for a replacement fan for the GPU if they have. 9400GT will be happy with a normal fan attached to it. just need to cool it somehow. will cost 200-300.

OP
K3npachi

K3npachi

MorganKell
@Desmond No Sire, The Card does not require External Power Connector. It takes power from the PIC-E lane. Its an 512 MB Version..kinda old now.

@Sam Will make a trip on friday. btw is it ok if i re-apply new Thermal paste over existing or is it a must to remove the existing one prior to applying.?
Thanks for replaying mates.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Remove the old TiM first and then Re-apply the new TiM - for TiM look for Cm TF400.

koolent

Youngling
It will not be ecactly OK if you reapply the TIM, fan is a must and you will have to get it running anyways.. Fans generally don't go kaput easily, try reconnecting it to the fan power port, clean a bit... Se if it works.. If not, do what sam suggested. :)

kk_590

Broken In
Check the power connector which connects the cooling fan of graphic card to the pin on graphic card board (which looks like the CPU fan connector which is connected to Motherboard)
I don't think there is any other way to get a separate fan (if it is not working) than taking a similar fan from a similar graphic card.

Top Bottom