Govt sanctions prosecution of Google, Facebook over objectionable material

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Well I posted something here I wondered why it was locked. But let's continue the conversation here:
As mentioned here:

As much I feel bad and feel hurt by certain comments people make on individuals, genders, religion, nationality, etc. censorship the freedom of speech is a bigger evil IMHO.

Amol Sharma and Preetika Rana, both who write for Wall Street Journal, interviewed the person who filed a lawsuit against Google and Facebook (and giving him a colourful nickname).
Source

Before we say anything, remember one thing. In a way Vinay Rai himself admits that he doesn't really know how the internet/social media works and he hasn't tried to do something that many did.
It is the right of every Indian citizen to voice his/her opinion against what he deems objectionable.
And yet he says:

I did not deem it appropriate to approach foreign companies myself.
Like many incompetent people online, he never heard of a "Report Button".

and this is what he said later:
I’m not too active on social media. I registered on Facebook over 2 years ago but deactivated my account a few months later. This was because my inbox was flooded with external applications, requests and games sent by unknown users via the website. Since I wasn’t too familiar with the content, I deactivated my account.
A guy who doesn't know anything about social media and obviously looks as if he doesn't know how the internet works- or even attempt to know about it is the same guy who filed a complained. I mean- what???

Meanwhile Indian Government has started censoring the internet as a satirical website cartoonsagainstcorruption.com that is hosted in BigRock has been forced to shut down because they didn't like it.
I am sure you are all aware of an Indian website called Cartoonsagainstcorruption.com being suspended few days? Well I spoke to owner just now.

As according to my conversation with Aseem Trivedi, the owner of the website Cartoons Against Corruption that was hosted in Indian hosting company BigRock has been suspended by the order given by Mumbai Crime Branch. BigRock and/or Mumbai Crime Branch did not inform Aseem Trivedi before suspending the site. There has been no court order, no formal or informal letter by BigRock and Mumbai Crime Branch. Since when Mumbai Crime Branch received judicial powers to shut down a site without informing the site owner? and why did BigRock, an Indian origin web hosting company, did not inform Aseem Trivedi? Where is the court order? Where is the paper that orders BigRock to shut down the site? Why was it not given before? Why can't these people know the difference between satire, sarcasm and have any sense of humour?

Actions like this raises doubts. We are not going the way of China, we're already there. Nevertheless it pretty much shows that one shouldn't really rely on Indian hosting sites. If a proper system is not followed to remove the content- or worse- to shut down the site, then its best if people take their business out of such hosting companies.

Top Bottom