Got Altec Lansing MX 5021.. should i go for a sound card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
I just placed an order for Altec Lansing MX 5021 speakers.. These speakers are THX certified and have power of 90 W RMS (50 W subwoofer and 20-20 W satellites).. now i have an onboard sound card RealTek ALC 888 with 7.1 sound.. i wonder that should i go for a discreet sound card from Creative or not.. please advice..

mpanan

Broken In
I just placed an order for Altec Lansing MX 5021 speakers.. These speakers are THX certified and have power of 90 W RMS (50 W subwoofer and 20-20 W satellites).. now i have an onboard sound card RealTek ALC 888 with 7.1 sound.. i wonder that should i go for a discreet sound card from Creative or not.. please advice..

how much did it cost u? where did u buy it? i am trying to get hte smae answer from the forum for couple of days.

the onboard sound is sufficent enough. the problem with internal cards is they transmitt noise from the otherboards sometimes. if u dont have that problem then upgrading to creative wont make much of a difference. if u want to get some really good sound get a EMU soundcard. much better than the creative stuff. i personally use EMU 0404 and i can tell it is pretty good

OP
hellknight

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Thanx for replying dude.. they were priced at Rs. 7.4k in Himachal Pradesh.. i'm from Himachal.. and i think that they will be around Rs. 7k in metros.. i was thinking about going after Creative Audigy sound card for these speakers.. but want to see a comparison between my onboard sound and a dedicated sound card.. btw.. what's the cost of EMU 404 sound card.. and is it compatible with Linux and Windows??

mpanan

Broken In
Thanks dude, i almost brought the speakers for 8k. now i am going to wait find better dealers and buy them. i have the EMU 0404 which costed me around 6k. it is a professional soundcard. i still believe for ordinary listening, mp3 (below 256), you wont notice things, if you use FLAc or auido cds like i do, maybe u should get urself a good soundcard.

why dont u just try them out, if u are feeling the sound is not upto task get a external soundcard. try asus xonar, the sound quality is better than creative. my brother has one and it sounds pretty good

OP
hellknight

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Actually i haven't yet received the speakers yet.. they will come on Monday.. and yeah.. i have a huge collection of lossless files, Apple Lossless to be precise.. and most of my mp3's are above 192kbps.. i think that i'll first try out the speakers on my onboard sound card and then see wheather it needs a new sound card or not..

mpanan

Broken In
Actually i haven't yet received the speakers yet.. they will come on Monday.. and yeah.. i have a huge collection of lossless files, Apple Lossless to be precise.. and most of my mp3's are above 192kbps.. i think that i'll first try out the speakers on my onboard sound card and then see wheather it needs a new sound card or not..

lets hope u like the onboard sound it will save u some money on something u may not even need. do u know by chance any national dealer of altec lansing?

OP
hellknight

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
my dealer says that the speakers shipped from Rashi Peripherals.. you can get them at Chandigarh from Lynx Store in sector 8-c i think and Johar Computers in Sector 15-C.. Lynx Store also accepts online orders.. www.lynx-india.com

mpanan

Broken In
my dealer says that the speakers shipped from Rashi Peripherals.. you can get them at Chandigarh from Lynx Store in sector 8-c i think and Johar Computers in Sector 15-C.. Lynx Store also accepts online orders.. www.lynx-india.com

Thanks for the info. i went to lynx india website and saw that they sell m-audio soundcards. if you wan to buy a soundcard, i sugest u look at them. these sounds cards are of the same quality of E-MU. or look at steel siberia sound card if you want something cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom