Google Nexus 4 Thread

OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle
Guys, I am thinking of purchasing a slimport adapter for the Nexus 4 to connect the phone to an external HDMI display. N4 doesnt support MHL standard and currently is the only phone to use slimport. It also has support for Miracast, which is used for wireless mirroring, but Miracast device would be too expensive in India and also has a little latency.
I found 2 sources to get this slimport adapter, one on dealextreme and the other on ebay:
CY MH-040 Slimport MyDP Micro USB to HDMI HDTV Full HD Adapter for LG Google Nexus 4 E960 - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

BRAND NEW Slimport SP1002 Micro USB HDMI adapter Google Nexus 4 by Analogix

The one on dealextreme is a lot cheaper, but I have never ordered from them and I don't know how customs will treat it. Are there any other sources available?
Is anyone willing to purchase this adapter along with me? Then maybe we can bulk order :)

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
guys which screen protector are you using....???

Anyone using this??

Ordered full body protection cover from GadgetShieldz. The surface of the protector had white streaks and it looked horrible after applying. So I removed it and got a Rainbow screenguard installed for 250 bucks.

Guys, I have just pinned down some of my issues on Nexus4 here: Nexus 4 review « Thoughts of a relentless mind

Please let me know if you are also facing the same issues, and if possible ways to overcome the issue.

OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle
HELP Whenever I connect Nexus 4. It does not connect and shows USB device not recognized on windows 8.

Hey Rider, I found this on XDA
"I have this problem only when USB Debugging isn't turned on. I'm not sure what's wrong with it but by computer (running W8 Pro) won't see my phone until I turn on debugging. All drivers are installed but the only way I can copy files to/from my N4 is with debugging enabled.

Would love to see a solution come through and I'll continue looking for one myself to help us all out."

Try with USB debugging on :)

rider

as Kratos
Hey Rider, I found this on XDA
"I have this problem only when USB Debugging isn't turned on. I'm not sure what's wrong with it but by computer (running W8 Pro) won't see my phone until I turn on debugging. All drivers are installed but the only way I can copy files to/from my N4 is with debugging enabled.

Would love to see a solution come through and I'll continue looking for one myself to help us all out."

Try with USB debugging on :)

Tell me the procedure.

OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle
Tell me the procedure.

Go to Settings>About Phone
Scroll Down to the last item in the List "Build Number"
Tap on it 10 times. This will make "Developer options" visible now in the settings list.
So go back to settings and now you should see "Developer options" in the list (second last)
Open "Developer options", enable it using the flick switch in the title(top right of screen). You will find "USB Debugging" in the list, Enable it.

Now try connecting to your PC again.

rider

as Kratos
Go to Settings>About Phone
Scroll Down to the last item in the List "Build Number"
Tap on it 10 times. This will make "Developer options" visible now in the settings list.
So go back to settings and now you should see "Developer options" in the list (second last)
Open "Developer options", enable it using the flick switch in the title(top right of screen). You will find "USB Debugging" in the list, Enable it.

Now try connecting to your PC again.

I'm already to developer's mode. Thanks for help but it doesn't fixed. The phone doesn't even charging with that, it charges when I just turn on the laptop in booting but not in windows 8. :(

Sudh4r

Fire Lord
I'm already to developer's mode. Thanks for help but it doesn't fixed. The phone doesn't even charging with that, it charges when I just turn on the laptop in booting but not in windows 8. :(

Well instead of checking the Android App's output in the emulator, we can check how it works in the Real Phone - thats the use for USB Debugging.

However, in order to do this there should be proper drivers of the N4 installed.

I really don't have any idea why it is not working in Win 8. But if the USB Debugging is the soln then install the drivers for the N4. Check in the Device Manager and tell the status. Last time I Checked OEM USB Drivers was not available for WIN 8. So :(

RohanM

Cyborg Agent

If the phone is not even charging means issue with usb port only, no drivers issue there... check ports.

Sudh4r

Fire Lord
He has mentioned that it charges when I just turn on the laptop in booting . So no issues with the port.

EDIT : just did that few min a go noticed that in "hidden icons" next to the clock there was Unspecified Device - Nexus 4, removed the driver for this device and viola.

This is the excerpt from the same thread which guru has mentioned already. Try this Rider.

Last edited:

rider

as Kratos
He has mentioned that it charges when I just turn on the laptop in booting . So no issues with the port.

EDIT : just did that few min a go noticed that in "hidden icons" next to the clock there was Unspecified Device - Nexus 4, removed the driver for this device and viola.

This is the excerpt from the same thread which guru has mentioned already. Try this Rider.

USB wire has fault. tried to connect with different, it works now. :razz:

josin

In the zone
Guys, I have just pinned down some of my issues on Nexus4 here: Nexus 4 review « Thoughts of a relentless mind

Please let me know if you are also facing the same issues, and if possible ways to overcome the issue.

I face no such issues now ( i had some issues like Bluetooth fails to turn on and i had to reboot to get it on) , But I am now on PARANOIDANDROID 3.65. After the install of PA I have no connection issues (or other issues with Bluetooth) with my pioneer fhx759BT. Nexus 4 Bluetooth version is 4.0 ( as far as i know) and that of your headset is 2.1 (Headset Profile 1.1 and Hands-Free Profile 1.5). So there may be some compatibility issues. Try using a different headset or try a custom ROM and see weather the issue sustains.

see this too

Last edited:

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Android 4.3 for the Nexus 4 leaked - Android - News + Articles - MoDaCo

Anyone tried this?

Its a TWRP backup BTE

Superayush

Tech lover
Hey can someone tell how does stock android so compare to touchwiz,Sony ui and htc sense ui I want to know comparison btw them and want to know each ui's advantages/disadvantages.the reason being had a discussion with mah friend about best phone around 25k and he had recently bought a new Xperia sp so I naturally asked him why u no go for nexus 4 and he proclaimed sp has much better benchmarks battery life and claimed stock ui is boring and does not have real multitasking....before that I believe nexus 4 is superior to sp pls people enlighten me thx

Last edited:
OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle
Hey can someone tell how does stock android so compare to touchwiz,Sony ui and htc sense ui I want to know comparison btw them and want to know each ui's advantages/disadvantages.the reason being had a discussion with mah friend about best phone around 25k and he had recently bought a new Xperia sp so I naturally asked him why u no go for nexus 4 and he proclaimed sp has much better benchmarks battery life and claimed stock ui is boring and does not have real multitasking....before that I believe nexus 4 is superior to sp pls people enlighten me thx

Well the xperia sp is a really good phone. Infact it was the most recommended phone in the 25k range until nexus 4 was official in india.
IMO the nexus 4 is superior in a number of aspects. The only thing in favour of xperia sp is the expandable memory. If you can live with 16GB storage then nexus 4 is the one to go for.

Stock android on nexus 4 is blazing fast since its unskinned and without manufacturer bloatware. Touchwiz is probably the worst of the custom skins when it comes to optimization. So basically nexus devices are the way Google wants android to be experienced and will always be on the cutting edge of new features and versions being rolled out since nexus devices get android versions as soon as they come out. Android 4.3 is coming out next week and 5.0 which should introduce some cool features like desktop mode and windowed multitasking is rumored to roll out with the nexus 5 this fall.
Nexus 4 is a quad core s4 krait and has double the cores and RAM so Its not lacking in benchmarks and I don't know what you mean by real multitasking? All android phones corely multitask the same way and with the 2GB ram I can keep loads of apps running in the background and switch effortlessly with no lag.
The camera on the nexus is better than the xperia sp.
When it comes to battery life the xperia sp is better. But the nexus 4 battery will last you a day too on stock and on custom kernel will do much better.
Another asset for the nexus 4 is the amazing Dev support. You can easily root it and run one of countless feature rich Roms and kernels..there is even a xperia themed one.
Other than that you have lesser used features like wireless charging and miracast wireless display which are in favor of the nexus.

In short, i would say that N4 has better multitasking due to 2gb ram. I personally prefer stock ui over Sony(Touchwiz being my fav). SP has advantage of expandable storage n better battery life...

Top Bottom