Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow2get

In the zone
Source

News From the Official Google Blog

Yahoo! and the future of the Internet

02/03/2008 11:45:00 AM

Posted by David Drummond, Senior Vice President, Corporate Development and Chief Legal Officer

The openness of the Internet is what made Google -- and Yahoo! -- possible. A good idea that users find useful spreads quickly. Businesses can be created around the idea. Users benefit from constant innovation. It's what makes the Internet such an exciting place.

So Microsoft's hostile bid for Yahoo! raises troubling questions. This is about more than simply a financial transaction, one company taking over another. It's about preserving the underlying principles of the Internet: openness and innovation.

Could Microsoft now attempt to exert the same sort of inappropriate and illegal influence over the Internet that it did with the PC? While the Internet rewards competitive innovation, Microsoft has frequently sought to establish proprietary monopolies -- and then leverage its dominance into new, adjacent markets.

Could the acquisition of Yahoo! allow Microsoft -- despite its legacy of serious legal and regulatory offenses -- to extend unfair practices from browsers and operating systems to the Internet? In addition, Microsoft plus Yahoo! equals an overwhelming share of instant messaging and web email accounts. And between them, the two companies operate the two most heavily trafficked portals on the Internet. Could a combination of the two take advantage of a PC software monopoly to unfairly limit the ability of consumers to freely access competitors' email, IM, and web-based services? Policymakers around the world need to ask these questions -- and consumers deserve satisfying answers.

This hostile bid was announced on Friday, so there is plenty of time for these questions to be thoroughly addressed. We take Internet openness, choice and innovation seriously. They are the core of our culture. We believe that the interests of Internet users come first -- and should come first -- as the merits of this proposed acquisition are examined and alternatives explored.
Looks like Google is really pissed off about the merger if it happens. :D

+1 to google. Besides google, there are many others who don't want this deal to happen. I don't think yahoo can afford to go through this merger as it might bring too much negative remarks about yahoo. M$ has a bad reputation. Merging with yahoo will make even yahoo get that bad reputation.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Yeah, I've got the same feeling as the guys at google,
M$ is desperately trying to establish a monopoly.
Anyone have feeling that this is due to a increase of Linux os share?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I wudn't mind the merger if Yahoo continues what it is and uses the same technology but only the bosses change.

But MS has a track record of buying something, intro'ing some new features initially and then suddenly killing it saying it didn't work out for them and brining their product in its place.

I wudn't want yahoomail to become hotmail subsequently, never!

I wudn't mind the merger if Yahoo continues what it is and uses the same technology but only the bosses change.

But MS has a track record of buying something, intro'ing some new features initially and then suddenly killing it saying it didn't work out for them and brining their product in its place.

I wudn't want yahoomail to become hotmail subsequently, never!
+1

OP
S

shadow2get

In the zone
Even if the merger happens, I don't think M$ will do anything about the Mail Capacity or anything that would affect the Mails. If they do anything, Lots of users will be affected & will add Bad reputation to M$. ;)

Also, Yahoo has/would have already invested in lots of HDD for giving unlimited Mail space. So M$ won't do anything abt that. :rolleyes:

BTW, I will be pissed off if the Merging happens. Last thing I want. :mad:

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
guys why are just thinking of mail?

Microsoft wants yahoo because of following reasons:
1. To get a advanced search engine and develop it further.
2. To beat Google's Adsense Program by improving Yahoo's Ad Network.
3. News
4. More online goodies.
5. And ofcourse, mail.

anyway, i'm happy with the merge, if and only if microsoft preserves and improves the current yahoo standards.

cool_techie_tvm

Ambassador of Buzz
Just read an article stating Yahoo is interested in merging with Google.

Read it in here : *www.reuters.com/article/technology...?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews&sp=true

vaithy

In the zone
For the same reasons of why M$ could not acquired with yahoo also applicable.. Google wouldn't acquire yahoo , but try to up the ante so competitive bid may push the yahoo's bid value much more than now and ended up with M$ paying more than its initial offer to yahoo, thus brick the money bubble of M$ big belly ..
Google may perhaps interested in collaboration with yahoo and revenue sharing facility with them at all..
with regards,
vaithy

vaithy

In the zone
yes Dear IMav!!

the developers in Yahoo India Center is really scared..same web search business, on line advertising, etc etc.. for M$ India center they are the liability.. In the words MR. Steve Ballmer.. it is not for Developers in Yahoo, it infrastructure, website management... just for capturing online Ad space... that is all.. to become #2.. (out of total 2) Now they are #3.. just for the place promotion..

with regards,
vaithy

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
the developers in Yahoo India Center is really scared..
i dont what info u have but fyi yahoo has major layoff plans even might have done so to be honest those guys should be hoping for a take over so that they might not loose their jobs coz yahoo is in a complete mess as far as finances are concerned :) search boy search

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom