Good Phone Anti-Virus !

Kvishal

In the zone
Hi Guys,

I would like to install a good anti-virus software in my phone, I don’t mind paying a little but should be Extremely light and should not take time for my phone to boot up on start and should not slow down my phone.

Any Good suggestions, not too heavy any laggy softwares pls… :-|

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Virus on phones are not serious as of now that would demand need of Anti virus. Just use common sense when using your phone and be carefull while clicking links. You will be fine :wink:

OP
K

Kvishal

In the zone
Virus on phones are not serious as of now that would demand need of Anti virus. Just use common sense when using your phone and be carefull while clicking links. You will be fine :wink:

So I am good to use a SGS-2 without a Anti-Virus right ? Confirming :mrgreen:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
you don't need a/v for android. if you download apps from outside source (non-market), scan them with your pc antivirus (i prefer emsisoft) to check those are free of exploit.

OP
K

Kvishal

In the zone
No my friend. You donot. Just scan 3rd party apps. Otherwise you are clean :wink:

So Do I need to install a software to scan APPS if yes ? which one ? And what could be this software to scan Apps it has to be a kind of Anti-Virus only isn't it ?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Just install Emisoft Anti malware in your computer as Sam said. You donot need to scan Android market apps. Just scan apps you get from other alternate marketplace or source. It will show any vulnerabilities in it.

rajeevk

Journeyman
Try to download all the apps from the Android market. Else, scan all the apps and then install it on your PC. I am using Samsung Galaxy Y and I don't think an anti-virus is needed in it.

veekay

Right off the assembly line
@Kvishal:
While I respect everyone's inputs here, I personally feel you should have an antimalware app on your Android. Gone are the days when Android was considered safe from malware - the more popular a platform becomes, the more attractive it becomes for hackers, malware-makers, rogue advertisers and scamsters.

Contrary to what most people assume, the Google Android Market is not completely safe. Unlike the highly-regulated Apple's iOS, you should know that anyone can develop and publish an application to the Android Market, and last year there's been an upsurge in malicious apps on Android:
Android Market free-for-all blamed for malware avalanche • The Register

Thus, malware or bogus apps can infiltrate the Android market easily, as even Google realized last month:
Malicious apps infiltrate Google's Android Market • The Register

However, if you practice common sense, you can keep your Android phone secure without any anti-malware:
1. Do not install non-Market apps or "cracked" apps: no matter how tempting it might look, it is still a risk. Such apps might have embedded malware code, that normal PC antimalware can't detect or clean, and since you are getting these maps from outside the Android Market, Google has never validated its authenticity and safety.
2. Don't install newly launched apps: Install apps from Android market, only if they have thousands of downloads and have many good reviews. Even an unintentionally badly-coded or buggy app can do more damage to the performance of your phone than an intentional malware app.
3. Beware of apps that ask for suspicious permissions. I cannot stress how important it is to be aware of correct permissions needed to be allowed for each app. For instance, a wallpaper app should never ask you permission to your call logs, or a camera app shouldn't track your SMS history.
4. Beware of custom ROMs: These are firmware patches that will replace your existing OS, with a customized OS that has fewer bloatedware and has better apps and performance tweaks. However, unless you download it from a reputed site and it has been reviewed by other users, it is still a questionable risk since the new OS will have absolute control over your phone and data.

The top anti-malware apps in the market are similar to the brands you see on Windows PC, but before you install any security app, see if their free mobile versions has all the required features: antimalware scanner, permission scanner, and preferably, anti-theft and call/sms blocking.

Android Security Product Test (New test From PCSL across 20 A/V apps and using 251 malware samples)
*www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=314966

*www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=231002&stc=1&d=1324895988

*www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=231003&stc=1&d=1324895988

Personally I would recommend:
1. Norton or Kaspersky:
They have the best A/v products on PC, and huge R&D divisions to keep on top of mobile malware outbreaks, so they are highly trusted.
2. Lookout or AVG:
They were the first proper antimalware apps for Android, so they have a huge userbase to get feedback on recent malware. AVG has a reputation for false positives, so I don't tend to trust their products, but it is still free. I have been using Lookout from day one, and while it has never caught a malware (probably due to my cautiousness), it has not slowed down my mobile either.
3. Avast:
Recently, Avast Mobile was released, and its free version include privacy reports, call and SMS filtering, SIM-card change notifications, firewall and application management. These freebies might change once Avast launches with a paid app, but for now, it is a very good free app to have.

All the best with your Android experience!

Last edited:

red dragon

Master troll
Wow!!You are a cautious person!!
Personally I will never use one...using Android since Eclair,tried all sort of custom ROMs,bricked and unbricked many phones...yet to see a malware.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@Kvishal: not necessary to install antivirus on android...just use a updated antivirus in PC & u r good to go...

Top Bottom