Good engineering colleges in West Bengal

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Hello,

Today I need help and suggestions of a different kind. I don't know if this is the right section to ask, though. My cousin, who is currently studying Science in class XII at Calcutta Boy's School in Kolkata, will appear for the West Bengal JEE and the IIT JEE next year. He is a good student but does not seem to have an idea which are the better engineering colleges in West Bengal. I had appeared for the WBJEE 15 years earlier and I also don't have any idea of the present trend, etc. Although government colleges like Shibpore BESU, Jadavpur University, JGEC (Jalpaiguri), Durgapur REC, etc are eternal favorites, we are confused about the options when his WB JEE rank may not be so good so as to get admission to these colleges. Also with so many private colleges, there is more confusion.

So friends and particularly those from West Bengal, could you provide an insight and guide us to the right direction in terms of the good private engineering colleges in our state and what branch is recommended in those colleges? Of course, criteria of a good college include a good modern course curriculum, good faculty and a good placement record also. I am saying this because, during my time I remember that the 5th semester syllabus included programming in Fortran 77 :)x) as a computer subject. This is just an example.

Last but not the least, if you could include how expensive the course will be in each college, it would also be very helpful.

I am out of touch of these for many years. So thanks in advance and awaiting your suggestions soon.

Last edited:

abhijangda

Padawan
I would say do not concentrate on colleges now. Just let him concentrate on studies.
After results you will get enough time to study different colleges!!

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Speaking with my colleagues and other friends regarding this matter, I shortlisted some colleges other than the obvious choice of government colleges.
1) JIS college of Engineering, Kalyani
2) Techno India Group colleges
3) Institute of Engineering and Management, Salt Lake

soumo27

→|Requiescat| |in| |Pace|
Well for the best colleges here goes the list:
Jadavpur>Shibpur>IEM>Kalyani>Jalpaiguri>Heritage>Techno Group Colleges(Salt Lake, MSIT, NSEC, St thomas, Rajarhat)>BP Poddar>BC Roy Durgapur>Then the rest of the colleges...

tkin

Back to school!!
Jadavpur>Shibpur>IEM>Kalyani>Jalpaiguri>Heritage>Techno Group Colleges(Salt Lake, MSIT, NSEC, St thomas, Rajarhat)>BP Poddar>BC Roy Durgapur>Then the rest of the colleges...
Good list, just add rcc before bc roy, its a good college.

hotshot05

I luv Digit

St.Thomas is not a Techno Group college. It is an independent college.

My order -
JU>BESU>IEM>Kalyani>Heritage & Techno, Salt Lake>St.Thomas & NSEC & RCC>MSIT & B.P.Poddar

But this is just an overall view. This ranking may change if you consider streams separately.
e.g Among private colleges, St.Thomas has a very good electrical department. Whereas the EE dept in RCC opened just last year.
also Civil in MSIT is the best among pvt. WBUT colleges

crazylamhe

Broken In
Hello,

Today I need help and suggestions of a different kind. I don't know if this is the right section to ask, though. My cousin, who is currently studying Science in class XII at Calcutta Boy's School in Kolkata, will appear for the West Bengal JEE and the IIT JEE next year. He is a good student but does not seem to have an idea which are the better engineering colleges in West Bengal. I had appeared for the WBJEE 15 years earlier and I also don't have any idea of the present trend, etc. Although government colleges like Shibpore BESU, Jadavpur University, JGEC (Jalpaiguri), Durgapur REC, etc are eternal favorites, we are confused about the options when his WB JEE rank may not be so good so as to get admission to these colleges. Also with so many private colleges, there is more confusion.

So friends and particularly those from West Bengal, could you provide an insight and guide us to the right direction in terms of the good private engineering colleges in our state and what branch is recommended in those colleges? Of course, criteria of a good college include a good modern course curriculum, good faculty and a good placement record also.

Last but not the least, if you could include how expensive the course will be in each college, it would also be very helpful.

I am out of touch of these for many years. So thanks in advance and awaiting your suggestions soon.

I am a student of Jalpaiguri Govt Engg College, 2nd yr. IT. Just PM me the rank after the result (and preferable stream), I will tell the best option available. My bro also gonna give JEE this year. So, you can expect me to be fair ! Additionally, you can check engg.entrancecorner.com WBJEE forum after the results are out. Or you can check it now to get some idea how this year's trend went. I am having a rank of Junior Expert in the site . . . Here, I won't post any rank for debatable issues, just say Jadavpur University is at No. 1 and admission to Bengal Engg, Shibpur most probably will be made through AIEEE this year onwards !

arsenalfan001

Arsenal Fan
I have studied from Techno India, Salt Lake. I would suggest you not to go for Techno India group colleges. In 3 years time, whole group will appear for campus recruitment process. Suppose you join in Techno, Salt Lake. But you will have to compete against students from Siliguri also. And as the number of colleges and new branches increasing day-by-day, it will be tough.

Top Bottom