Going Wi-Fi at home

abhidev

Human Spambot
Guys I am planning to go wi-fi at home. Please suggest me a good wifi router for my broadband connection. Consider the following points.
  • No. of devices- Desktop(wired) + Laptop + mobile/ipod
  • Will like to stream videos on HDTV too(in future)
  • Need a good range(spanning the enitre house)
  • Good security features
  • Budget - 2k...would increase a bit if its worth it.

Also suggest anymore things that I need to consider also which are important.
Is dual-band router required or is it good to have?
Thanks in advance.

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Check this D-Link 2730U
Flipkart: D-Link DSL-2730U Wireless N 150 ADSL2+ 4-Port Router: Router

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Buy Asus rt N13U if you can @ 3k, flash it with ddwrt firmware, you won't regret.

Or Asus RT N12, one of the cheapest supporting ddwrt. @ 2.3-2.4k

OP
abhidev

abhidev

Human Spambot
Check this D-Link 2730U
Flipkart: D-Link DSL-2730U Wireless N 150 ADSL2+ 4-Port Router: Router
This is a ADSL router...I have a broadband connection.

Buy Asus rt N13U if you can @ 3k, flash it with ddwrt firmware, you won't regret.

Or Asus RT N12, one of the cheapest supporting ddwrt. @ 2.3-2.4k

what is ddwrt?

Also on flipkart there are two entries for the same model. check this out
belkin N600 DB with modem for Rs.2468 and the other one is belkin N600 DB for Rs.813. Is this a good deal?

bump!!!

Aah great...flipkart just updated the cost of these routers:D

Any help guys....

Last edited:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
No one here is using wi-fi at home ???:evil:

As your budget is 2K, buy this: Flipkart: D-Link DIR-615 Wireless-N 300 Router: Router

But if you are serious about streaming HD media over it, I would strongly suggest you to get a gigabit dual band router, which will help you a lot. (like, D-Link DIR-655)

OP
abhidev

abhidev

Human Spambot
As your budget is 2K, buy this: Flipkart: D-Link DIR-615 Wireless-N 300 Router: Router

But if you are serious about streaming HD media over it, I would strongly suggest you to get a gigabit dual band router, which will help you a lot. (like, D-Link DIR-655)

thanx a lot for the reply....how is Belkin N-300 compared to D-link Dir 615?

Also the DIR-655 is almost 6k :shock:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
thanx a lot for the reply....how is Belkin N-300 compared to D-link Dir 615?

Also the DIR-655 is almost 6k :shock:

I also use belkin surf N300 router, not as main router, but as secondary router. Surf is good, 3 years replacement warranty, no connection drop. It lacks USB port, and also no support for ddwrt. Used to be @1.8K, but presently available @2.8K. Not vfm at present price tag.

OP
abhidev

abhidev

Human Spambot
I also use belkin surf N300 router, not as main router, but as secondary router. Surf is good, 3 years replacement warranty, no connection drop. It lacks USB port, and also no support for ddwrt. Used to be @1.8K, but presently available @2.8K. Not vfm at present price tag.

hmm...but what is ddwrt?

OP
abhidev

abhidev

Human Spambot
Hey Guys...went to some local shops....took a look at D-link Dir 615....seems good...also has IPv6 support....its available at arnd 2k.....also took a look at Iball iB-WRX150N Wireless-N Router | Router | Flipkart.com which was available for arnd 1.3k

which one is better or else should i opt for belkin N-300 ?

anyone who is using wifi at home...pls post ur experience

saswat23

Human Spambot
It has got very poor user reviews of having frequent disconnections.
For 2k, get this: Asus RT-N12 LX Wireless Router | Router | Flipkart.com
If you want something cheaper then: ASUS RT-N10+ EZ N Wireless Router | Router | Flipkart.com

OP
abhidev

abhidev

Human Spambot
hows this one...Buffalo 300Mbps Wireless-N Router | Router | Flipkart.com

also I am more inclined towards Belkin, Linksys...not much sure abt Dlink,Asus and Netgear...though I have heard lot of good things abt Netgear

I am looking for something future-proof yet with a reasonable rate.... I want a wireless router without modem, 300mbps speed and also is Ipv6 support good to have?

MegaMind

Human Spambot
First off, You just need a router(in case you have a seperate modem) or a router with inbuilt modem?

MegaMind

Human Spambot
^^So you need only a wireless router..

Asus RT-N10E - you need to connect your existing modem to the router & from router to PC..

But i'd suggest you go for D-Link DSL-2730U Wireless N 150 ADSL2+ (modem+router) as in case if your existing modem dies in future, you need not spend again for a modem.. Hope you get it..

Top Bottom