Gmail's new feature -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edburg

In the zone
Today i noticed a new feature in gmail - you can configure gmail to receive mails sent to your other email accounts straight to your gmail account.

Also the mails sent from gmail can be configured as it is sent from your other email accounts.

This is a very good one as i started to loose patience viewing all my three email accounts regularly.And also i like gmail over others.I am starting to hate Yahoo's big ads and the interface(both new and old).

Stick

Ambassador of Buzz
Edburg said:
Today i noticed a new feature in gmail - you can configure gmail to receive mails sent to your other email accounts straight to your gmail account.

Also the mails sent from gmail can be configured as it is sent from your other email accounts.

This is a very good one as i started to loose patience viewing all my three email accounts regularly.And also i like gmail over others.I am starting to hate Yahoo's big ads and the interface(both new and old).

Will All eamil service providers (yahoo, rediff, hotamil etc etc) clients allow Gmail to access:)

shashank4u

Youngling
i ve also same view ..google will take over yahoo finally ..
also i dont like the new yahoo mail...
gmail is best..

OP
Edburg

Edburg

In the zone
Stick said:
Will All eamil service providers (yahoo, rediff, hotamil etc etc) clients allow Gmail to access:)

I dont think they will have to allow access.Since gmail asks us the passwords for the accounts,i think gmail will query them as a normal browser would and then send the contents to gmail account.(I am not sure)

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
pop3 access. I am not sure if yahoo and rediffmail free accounts allow pop3 access. You can only use this facility for pop3 accounts.
It is useful for me. I have 3 accounts on my organization's domain. Our IT Administrators don't know how to forward mail from an account to another. So i set up google to periodically pick up the mails from the accounts and to forward it to blackberry. It is cool!

cooldip10

In the zone
Edburg said:

Very Good News Man..

You are 100% correct.. checking too many accounts become cumbersome

Hope gmail adds more features too..

Apollo

"Technologic"
Staff member
ilugd said:
pop3 access. I am not sure if yahoo and rediffmail free accounts allow pop3 access. You can only use this facility for pop3 accounts.
Yup. Yahoo Mail Plus!

And also, this Gmail feature was out quite a while ago - early December or somewhere around there.

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Ya, i just checked! No new features on Gmail as of now.
Are you talking about "Check other accounts" from you Gmail as found in the Settings?

it is a old feature and is provided by Yahoo Mail too.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Edburg said:

This is not a new feature. This has been around since gmail started.

It works in this way...
Register other ID in gmail. It may be yahoo or any email account. Gmail sends a verification mail to that account. Log-in to that account and confirm. Now all your mails gets forwarded directly to the gmail account automatically.
In the same way you can also configure other email ID in gmail, so that you can send mail from gmail using that ID! Awesome feature.

Eg: abcd@yahoo.co.in registered in gmail. Now log-in to gmail and send mails to friends as abcd@yahoo.co.in

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Kiran_tech_mania said:
This is not a new feature. This has been around since gmail started.

It works in this way...
Register other ID in gmail. It may be yahoo or any email account. Gmail sends a verification mail to that account. Log-in to that account and confirm. Now all your mails gets forwarded directly to the gmail account automatically.
In the same way you can also configure other email ID in gmail, so that you can send mail from gmail using that ID! Awesome feature.

Eg: abcd@yahoo.co.in registered in gmail. Now log-in to gmail and send mails to friends as abcd@yahoo.co.in

I think you mixed two different features into one. When you register and verify another ID in gmail, you can send mails using that ID to others, but not recieve mails from that ID.

To recieve mails from another ID, that ID needs to Support POP3 access and then gmail can retireve those mails to your inbox and display them in Gmail.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
alsiladka said:
I think you mixed two different features into one. When you register and verify another ID in gmail, you can send mails using that ID to others, but not recieve mails from that ID.

To recieve mails from another ID, that ID needs to Support POP3 access and then gmail can retireve those mails to your inbox and display them in Gmail.

Oops! Yes. I got mixed up. Actually inorder to get SMTP server mails to gmail inbox automatically, one needs to use "Automatic Forward feature" of that client. I have configured my yahoo ID to autoforward mails directly to gmail account. The one which I explained above is for forwarding mail frm gmail using other mail client.

hemant_mathur

-- No Easter Eggs here --
This feature has been around for sometime now .. i have been using this for around 2 months. It's a real cool feature.

OP
Edburg

Edburg

In the zone
koolbluez said:
Actually... I used to forward my Yahoo mails, all, to GMail from quite sometime:grin:

Oops.I didn;t know that it was available before.I never used to go deep into them to check out things.As the new feature was highlighted.i thought it was new.May be they changed some things in it.

And also, this Gmail feature was out quite a while ago - early December or somewhere around there.

Yahoo Mail plus ? I have just the free account and i am able to do these things.

Perhaps this is the new feature added

But i havent configured it properly( just laziness) and i dont receive the mail properly.may be its because mail plus ! is needed or i did some wrong configurations.

Last edited:

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Edburg said:
Yahoo Mail plus ? I have just the free account and i am able to do these things.

Perhaps this is the new feature added

But i havent configured it properly( just laziness) and i dont receive the mail properly.may be its because mail plus ! is needed or i did some wrong configurations.

All Yahoo Mail users of country specefic sites like co.in get Free Pop Access and Mail Forwarding. Sadly, users with .com IDs do not get these features for free, they need to Subscribe to Yahoo Mail plus by paying money.

hdsk.23

~ Harshdeep ~
hi everybody can u tell me where to set this feature, please tell me the detail instructions step by step please................................

OP
Edburg

Edburg

In the zone
hdsk.23 said:
hi everybody can u tell me where to set this feature, please tell me the detail instructions step by step please................................

Go to gmail and then at settings at the top right,goto accounts and there u can configure these things.
Settings->Accounts

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
yeah, aryayush agreed. But in my office we connect to the office through a proxy and no pop3 access outside the network is allowed. Gmail allows me to bypass this limitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom