Gmail spam scare..

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharkmench

Broken In

..in some of the spam mails that I receive regularly I have seen that the mail has been sent to me from my own account..!!

..for example..sender - shark@gmail.com
to - shark@gmail.com

..is it possible for someone to spam in such a manner?? What is the threat of such mails?? Is the account compromised?? What must be done?? :confused:

..also I've seen that i receive mails even if they are not addressed to me specifically..for example if the mail id shark123@gmail.com doesn't exist..then the mails sent to that account pops up in my inbox..!! :p

slugger

Banned
..in some of the spam mails that I receive regularly I have seen that the mail has been sent to me from my own account..!!

..for example..sender - shark@gmail.com
to - shark@gmail.com

..is it possible for someone to spam in such a manner?? What is the threat of such mails?? Is the account compromised?? What must be done?? :confused:
possible
online service too available - DeadFake
Check the header file of mail sent to determine if it has been spoofed or it actually is originating from your own email id

..also I've seen that i receive mails even if they are not addressed to me specifically..for example if the mail id shark123@gmail.com doesn't exist..then the mails sent to that account pops up in my inbox..!! :p
In that case that mail id has been compromised to forward all mails that are sent to that id to your id - google allows it, but not without your confirmation

If you have described ur problem correctly, very much possible ur account is compromised

OP
S

sharkmench

Broken In
..wow..this forum really works..thanks man..

..i checked the headers and found them to be some smtp -

"Received: by 10.115.72.12 with SMTP id z12cs1024317wak;
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 11:32:57 -0800 (PST)
Received: by 10.114.208.20 with SMTP id f20mr14730813wag.46.1231270377079;....."

..so indeed web mails are insecure..!! now the question is that whether any email account that receives such spoof mail can be trusted for credit card payments, visa application etc??!! ..plz reply..

..also i checked if i receive mails for other email ids too..actually its not..seems to me that the spammers send out mails with 'shark' as the primary name and adds to it various words or numbers..!! ..so shark123@blah.com doesn't get delivered and shows up in my inbox along with all the combinations, as forwarded messages..!!

..i also found this.. // www.stealthmessage.com // ..slightly more useful than deadfake..!! ..but i guess u guys already knew that..!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom