Gmail Folders???

Status
Not open for further replies.

caje143

Journeyman
Hi,
can anyone tell me if at all we can create Separate folders in Gmail to store the mails and if we can how to do it....

Thanks...
Caje

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent
You cannot create seperate folders in gmail

you can only put labels to perticular mails and then sort them according to their labels

this is known as KISS policy in gmail

Fighter

Broken In
In Gmail, you can't create new folders. Instead you create labels, which you then attach to individual conversations. The good thing about labels is that multiple labels can be tagged on a mail, something just not possible with the folder concept of Hotmail and others.

The labels are shown at the left side; attach them by using the combo box on top. You can also create filters to automatically label incoming mail.

You can more info on Gmail at *blog.outer-court.com/gmail-faq.html

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Yeah but they should also offer a feature that labeled emails will not show up in Inbox...what's the use of labelling when the labelled emails too crowd the inbox. Please this sucks!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
navjotjsingh said:
Yeah but they should also offer a feature that labeled emails will not show up in Inbox...what's the use of labelling when the labelled emails too crowd the inbox. Please this sucks!
My labelled mails all go in archives, as I've configured. Like piyush said use filters for that.
Do this
1. Set the filter values as you like
2. Click 'Next Step'. Now you will get 5 options.
a. Skip the Inbox
b. Star it
c. Apply the label
d. forward it to <enter an email address>
e. Delete it
Use whichever all options you like. It will also show mails already received, that match this criteria, and you can select 'Apply filter to 'n' conversations below. So, that those received in the past needn't be handled manually later.

Last edited:

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
I have given them feedback 2 days ago for the same reason that i wanted to create folders!. Now i don't know when they will implement it.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
But, why folders? Label's are there to replace folders. Learn to accept and use new things too. I don't really see any disadvantages of labels over folders.

goobimama

 Macboy
What the hell is that Archive Button for? To clear out mail from the inbox. Just label, and archive. Simple as that. And with filters, you don't even need to label that often...

kerthivasan

very very STUPID
Are Gmail Labels Better Than Folders?
What makes Gmail's labels better than folders is that you can "put" any message in any number of folders. An email can belong to the "most urgent" messages as well as to a particular project at work, for example. It can carry the "needs follow-up" and "family" labels at the same time, and you will find it under both labels.

Organize and Categorize Messages with Labels in Gmail
To create a label in Gmail:

›› Step by Step Screenshot Walkthrough
Select Settings from the top Gmail navigation bar.
Go to Labels.
Type the desired name for the label under Create a new label:.
Click Create.
To open a label:

Expand the Labels box in the left column of Gmail (below the standard list of mailboxes).
Click the desired label.
To apply a label to a message (so the message shows up under the label):

Check the message in the message list or open it.
Click the More Actions drop-down menu.
Select the desired label under Apply Label.
You can also create new labels as you need them.

To remove a label from a message:

Check the message in the message list or open it.
Click the More Actions drop-down menu.
Select the desired label under Remove Label.
Use Multiple Labels for Single Emails
Remember, you can assign any combination of labels to any message.

Pragadheesh

In the zone
hope these links 'll enlighten u bout gmail folders(basically it doesn't support one)....

*blog.hotpepper.ca/archives/2005/05/gmail-folders/

digit

more bout gmail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom