Give Me Information Of Installing two Linuxes on one hdd...

Status
Not open for further replies.

vipul

Broken In
Hello Friends

Now Ive Installed The Mandrake10.1 And Xp

I have 40GB Hdd

And Now I Want To Install Ubuntu But I Cant Find That Option ByWhich I Can Able To Install the both linuxes on same harddisk (Different Partition)

Now Tell Me Is it possible to install two or more linuxes on same hdd(Different Partition)?

And If Yes How?

Please Tell me step by step instruction..

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Well this has been discused earlier in this forum pl search. Any way in short you can install the linux distro all in diffrent primary partitions and sharing a common swap file each will have an entry in grub indicating where the root is for that particular distro. Tecnically i think we can have a max of three distro on a single hdd as liunx allowes you to have a max of 4 primary partitions so three for the distro and one swap.

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
Well.. this general abt Multiple OS Boot

But I dont remember where..

But the excerpts from that Discussion..

To install Multiple Linux-es...

:arrow: Use same Swap...

:arrow: Install on diff. partitions...

:arrow: Hopefully use GRUB of last Linux installed to boot into all OSes... (try to install Linux OS last..)

Cheers!!!

] K8)8)L [

BONZI

Journeyman
My suggestions

Make a partition say /ubuntu and install it on that.
Better you dont install a boot manager with the second one. So that in case something goes wrong you can still boot the other linux and windows. after installation edit grub (or lilo).

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
vipul said:
Hi Bonzi But I dont Know How To Edit Grub Loader ?
Do You Have The Infos @ It?
Try opening the file /boot/grub/grub.conf or /boot/grub/menu.lst depending upon your distrubution

Grub Howto:
*www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

tuxfan

Technomancer
I have PCQL 2005 and Knoppix alongwith Win98 on the same hard disk :) Thanks to GNUrag. So it surely is possible to have multiple distros in one machine. 8)

pradeep_chauhan said:
Tecnically i think we can have a max of three distro on a single hdd as liunx allowes you to have a max of 4 primary partitions so three for the distro and one swap.

I think you are mistaken here. I have only 1 primary partition in my HD i.e. C: That one is occupied by Windows98. My extended partition is divided into logical partitions D:, E: and F: all FAT32 and 10GB each.

My HD is 80GB. My other two distros are also in logical partition in extended partition. So its not true that we require primary partitions for Linux installation. So it seems we can have as many distros as we want, only limiting factor being the space on HD and our patience to go through all the installations :)

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Well I am still checking that out ( I think you are mistaken here. I have only 1 primary partition in my HD i.e. C: That one is occupied by Windows98. My extended partition is divided into logical partitions D:, E: and F: all FAT32 and 10GB each. ) give me some more timeHow come i am not able to load three+ distro and boot through grub?? Working on it ..... (My Main PC has Win XP Gentoo and Fedora Core 3 on one disk SATA 160G and on the other Solaris 10 SATA 160 G)

hafees

In the zone
i think it will depend on the bios. if the bios doesn't have the 1024 cylinder limit, then u can install any number of linux distro, as long as there is space.
To install multiple copies of Linux, just create multiple /boot partitions with size of 75 MB (i use 25 MB - 75 MB recommended by FC3) each. preferable these partitions should be within the 1024 cylinders (i.e with in the 1 st 8 GB space). as long as there is space for other mount points u can install Linux distros.

Also view this post
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17434

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom