Getting a contract phone from USA

URPradhan

Journeyman
Hi Friends

I have some doubt over importing a USA contract phone to India. Hope someone can answer the following.

1. Can my friend in USA buy a contract phone for me with very less price
2. Can I unlock it in India to be used with India telecom operators
3. What will be legal action will the USA telecom company take on my friend if he breaks the contract by giving the phone to me

Thank you.

reniarahim1

Youngling
1. Can my friend in USA buy a contract phone for me with very less price - yes
2. Can I unlock it in India to be used with India telecom operators - yes
3. What will be legal action will the USA telecom company take on my friend if he breaks the contract by giving the phone to me
- it will screw up his credit history and may face legal issues (he may not be able to go back to us also since every fraud like this will be directly linked to his ssn)
- he can legally break the contract by paying the remaining amt.

vijju6091

Feeling Gravity
^^ It will be the same amount he will pay as unlocked one. but if specific phone is there for a network like AT&T or so then it should be okay. but breaking contract without Paying full amount will be huge problem for you Friend as he will face Legal issues.
Buy Unlocked Phone from USA.:)

OP
U

URPradhan

Journeyman
but if specific phone is there for a network like AT&T or so then it should be okay. Buy Unlocked Phone from USA.:)

I did not understand the above two statements.

1. You mean to say buying an AT&T contract phone and unlocking it and not paying the remaining amount is OK ?
2. How to buy unlocked phones from USA, plz describe.

ankush28

Bazinga
Factory Unlocked - Not locked by Telecom provider.
Like we here buy from stores...
Dont forget to check GSM frequency it supports.

Btw which phone yoy are planning to buy?

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
I did not understand the above two statements.

1. You mean to say buying an AT&T contract phone and unlocking it and not paying the remaining amount is OK ?
2. How to buy unlocked phones from USA, plz describe.

There are two types of networks in USA... One is GSM which is used by AT&T and T-Mobile, which is compatible with most of the Indian service providers like Airtel, Tata Docomo, Idea, Vodafone, etc... and the other is CDMA which is used by Sprint and Verizon. Those phones are almost useless.

Also, don't buy phones on contract. It will be a disaster for your friend. Unlocked phones are cheap in the US. Something like a Nexus 5 is available unlocked for $350 + taxes + shipping. If your budget is lower, get the Moto G unlocked for $179. Now that is an awesome deal for an awesome phone...

Don't buy on contract. You won't gain much out of it...

Hrishi

Not paying the amount mentioned in contract will spoil his credit ratings. In short its not a good idea.
Like others said get a phone which says "factory unlocked". This will be a little cheaper than normal phones here in India.

ajooba215

Journeyman
well...another query under this topic. i find a section called "no contract phones" other than unlocked,with contract etc on amazon.com . would that be fine if i order a phone with "no contract" and what does it mean?

Arnab boss

In the zone
no contact phones means its unlocked and u can use it any where in the world...

i would rather say tht tell ur friend to bring an ipad with retina display and the cellular model..it will b cheap if u purchase frm there and u will get full warranty against it in India.....beside u willl save arnd 10k bucks....
i will b getting mine in jan 2014...:wink:

sont go for apple i phones as they r hard to unlock and most of the phones gets locked permanently in this process...:evil:

Top Bottom