gen query on wifi security by ISPs

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Hi friends...I was wondering what type of security is be implemented by ISP's providing WiFi internet.
When I run inSSIDer on my laptop I find some SSIDs listed (By their name they appear as ISP names) eg. SSID name is set as <ISP name>-<area> and the network security is OPN (Open) however you actually can not connect to them!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
wifi security setting is determined by user/wifi router not isp.since most people don't know how to configure wifi router the service man from isp configure it in usual manner.

Kev.Ved

Journeyman
It is user specific and not related to ISP. Mods please have a check on these type of threads.

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
I notice at least 2 - 3 APs listed by inSSIDer on 2.4 GHz band, Infrastructure mode, that appear Always On and interestingly all are categorically named as <ISP-Area/Locality-Number> and are Unsecured, but can not be connected to. That made me wonder if there's anything implemented at ISP level (those offering broadband wireless services) beyond home user, outdoors, just in case and inSSIDer is picking it up in its scan.
Though my knowledge is limited here… else just a great coincidence that a number of a home users in the vicinity have peculiarly named respective SSIDs as if some guidelines are set and leaving it unsecured (May be just MAC filter)..or ISP person has done it that way on their behalf!

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
^Your neigbours those of whom have wifi connection ,will definitely know your presence(means your wifi network : SSID name,whenever you are online),but that doesn't mean that they will be using your network or hack it(exceptional knowledge + purpose required...),untill & unless you put a strong WPA/WPA2 password for your router.

Friend @whitestar might go in for more technical details and enrich our knowledge,particularly yours about the security.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@patkim,many of these local isp wireless networks are just like usual cable isp which restrict no. of connections by using mac address filter & login id page.though not much difficult to hack even if you do succeed in connecting to these networks rest assured most like you still won't get internet connectivity.

Top Bottom