GCC version 4 Released ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

firewall

In the zone
Version 4.0.0 of the GNU Compiler Collection has been released. The new version finally features SSA for trees, allowing for a completely new optimization framework." The changelog is pretty lengthy, and there's updates for every language supported from Ada to Java in addition to the usual flavors of C.

*gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.0/

:)

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
And do what ? The fun of gcc 4 will be when the entire system is compiled using it all the binarys and the kernel are gcc4 compiled then the effect of the new compiler will be felt. Writing helloworld with gcc 4 is no fun.

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
Hmm...

You sure have a valid point there..
But the fun in getting it first is always there.
For example, I compiled my Synaptic using gcc4,
and also all the other packages i have installed over the last few days... :roll:

Lets see where the competition ends... :lol:

pallavnawani

Broken In
Gcc x.0 releases are usually buggy.
It is normally a good Idea to wait for Gcc x.1, that usually have a lot of bugfixes that make the compiler more reliable. For example, gcc 3.0 was a buggy and slow compiler.

Ditto for Fedora. It is better to wait a little and see people's reactions before switching to a newer version. If all is well, then by all means install a newer distribution.

Unless of course, you want to install the newer software as soon as you can get your hands on it.

Pallav

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom