Gaming laptop or desktop upgrade?

Dexter

Right off the assembly line
hi, i am a new member to this forum. Decided to take a laptop for my gaming requirements, listed below. kindly give your valuable suggestions:

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
45-52k. stretchable to 1 -2k more.

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen, weight is not a concern. won't be carrying it much.

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Any brand with good to acceptable ASS, is possible accidental damage.
b. Dislike:

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Gaming, a few design software (CAD CAM, CATIA etc)

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?
Any resolution but a screen with less glare

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)

i would like to use the laptop for the next 3 years. i will be playing games like NFS (the run and MW2), MP3, assaisns creed, may not go beyond these.

already saw a few models

1. samsung np550- i5 variant (but heard it is heating a lot and there are throttling issues)=> any suggestions for a good cooler pad in this case ?
2. Dell inspiron 15r se- i5 variant (not available in my locality)
3. Lenovo Z580- i5 variant with 1 gb graphics nvidia 630m

*My 3 year old 9400gt desktop graphic card got fried due to a sudden power surge :cry: and my m/b also got fried. I replaced my m/b and other failed components. So i already have a core 2 duo @ 2.93+ dg41 m/b, if i buy a laptop of around 40-43k, i can add a graphic card, smps and 4gb ddr3 ram. which do u suggest is better?

buying a normal laptop and upgrading my cpu or buying a laptop for gaming?

Any other suggestions are also welcome.

daksh

Journeyman
As Sam said, but a better smps, atleast 550w to run 7770 well and be a bit future proof as well. 430 is a bit too low now.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
As Sam said, but a better smps, atleast 550w to run 7770 well and be a bit future proof as well. 430 is a bit too low now.

sorry to say but your are way too misinformed about SMPS. 430W even 400W is fine for 7770 if it can offer the full 400W. 7770 doesn't require lot of power, around 95W or so. So 430W is more than sufficient :)

OP
D

Dexter

Is samsung NP 550 preferable to my requirements??? Coz i don think tht i may be stayin with my PC nxt year. IF samsung is preferable can u suggest any good cooling pad between 2k-3k???

daksh

Journeyman
sorry to say but your are way too misinformed about SMPS. 430W even 400W is fine for 7770 if it can offer the full 400W. 7770 doesn't require lot of power, around 95W or so. So 430W is more than sufficient :)

Umm,

Sapphire AMD/ATI HD 7770 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card | Graphics Card | Flipkart.com
PowerColor AMD/ATI HD 7770 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card | Graphics Card | Flipkart.com
Sapphire AMD HD 7770 OC Edition 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card | Graphics Card | Flipkart.com

All 3 of the links say 450w required. Im saying 550 just to be future proof. I know 430 is good enough to run 7770 stock but if he OC's it or looks for a processor upgrade in the future he will observe some bottlenecking

PS-
*www.guru3d.com/article/amd-radeon-hd-7750-and-7770-review/7

Go to the power supply section of the review and they also recommend 450w at the least. And they say even more if you want to overclock.

Last edited:

RON28

Cyborg Agent
if you want mobility then get a laptop, and if you need hardcore gaming, stay with PC only, and yes AMD 7750 and 7770 consumes very less power.

OP
D

Dexter

if you want mobility then get a laptop, and if you need hardcore gaming, stay with PC only, and yes AMD 7750 and 7770 consumes very less power.

can you suggest me any cooling pads for the laptop bro.....

Top Bottom