Gaming-Laptop,Desktop or Console????

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilwit

Journeyman
Hii,

I want to create a gaming setup for myself but have some questions in my mind,so would like to discuss it with you guys.

BACKGROUND
I currently own a laptop which is a Dell Inspiron 1525(in mint condition with all hardware functioning properly except the DVD drive and too much scratches on the lid) and it mostly stays on my desk.
But sometimes i have to move it to my Dad's room to show him pics and other stuff and sometimes I like to use the laptop on couch or on my bed, but its very rare.I am new to gaming and don't know how long will this fever last as my mood fluctuates a lot.

USES OF THE DEVICE
Watching hd youtube videos,watching hd movies and playing games.

OPTIONS
OPTION 1
Get a powerfull laptop like ASUS G75VW(with 2 gigs of graphics card) ASUS -or G750JW- DB71 if it launches in August in India or Thailand or Lenevo y500 or y510p and add a external display with and game.And if i develop interest in gaming i will buy myself a PS3.But what i want to know is that can i play latest and upcoming games for atlesat 2 years in decent settings at 1080p?Will i be able to play at ultra settings at 1080p at decent frame rates with the laptops i have mentioned?Is very high setting decent to play at 24 or 27 inch moniter at 1080p?

OPTION 2
Get myself a desktop for 80k and don't buy a laptop.But will a desktop come in this range through which i can play games at ultra settings at 1080p?But my worry is that if i lost interest in gaming i will be left with powers with no use.

HELP pLEASE

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
You decide whether to play or not..
Play a few good titles & if you feel inclined invest 80k in desktop & you can game @ 2560*1440

Hrishi

First decide whether you want a Desktop , Laptop or console. It's something of a personal preference .All of the'm have their advantages , witht he PS3 being the lowest and cheapest.
If you want to game on 1080p , get a Desktop . For 80k , it'll be future proof.
If you want a laptop , then get Lenevo Y510/500 with SLI GT750m , or get a laptop with GTX675m or higher.That'll ensure good performance at 1080p.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
If you want a laptop , then get Lenevo Y510/500 with SLI GT750m , or get a laptop with GTX675m or higher.That'll ensure good performance at 1080p.

But that would be bad idea.. desktop would be a lot more powerful & configurable.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
I meant that for..
I want to put out that OP shouldn't think of lappy. (nothing wrong with your suggestion ;-))

gameranand

Living to Play
For gaming always get a Desktop or if want a console then always get the latest one not its older sibling. :)

OP
E

evilwit

Journeyman
You decide whether to play or not..
Play a few good titles & if you feel inclined invest 80k in desktop & you can game @ 2560*1440
thanks for the reply...
can you please tell me few good games playable at dell inspiron 1525 with 4 gigs of ram,2 ghz of core2duo processor and onboard graphics card???with 80k of budget can i play games at ultra reso @1080p?thanks

gameranand

Living to Play
For Inspiron I guess old games like 3-4 years old should work fine on mid settings. Please refer to the TDF Game Suggestion Thread for list.

Yes with 80K budget you can max out every game at 1080p resolution. :)

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Its an obvious question and has obvious answers, No gamer would buy a super-expensive gaming laptop until and unless they require high-mobility potential for their gaming. A 80K laptop in India will render you little for FHD gaming where a 80K desktop will bring down most of the recent titles with max settings.

The only reason people need high-end gaming laptop is they are not stationary, thanks to their occupation or whichever reason, and its stupid and risky to carry your beloved desktop setup from city to city..leaving it to chance of damage,loss and moreover hassles.

Thats why the gaming laptop baseline is still hot in market, if you go outside India, where gaming tournaments are more frequent, you can see gamers coming from all over the world to compete carrying their own gaming beast in backpack, they are moving, they are pro gamers and they don't really see, a 2-3 day's hands-off from practice, an option.

Quite the contrary...people who have jobs which doesn't let them settle in one place more than 6-7 months, and they love next-gen gaming all the time, buys gaming laptops, example--> Me. I don't have option to go for a set-up.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
to answer your question straight and forward:

unless you are going for the top of the end notebook with dual gpus and top of the end cpu, dont expect it to play upcoming games fully maxed out.

a fully configured gaming laptop will cost you close to 2000 usd ~ which is almost 1,20,000 inr. If you get it from abroad, for which you will not get international warranty here.

gaming laptops are okay for people, as sam mentioned who play games for a living. Dota 2 pros use gaming laptops, but then you cant compare dota 2 or cs go to crysis 3 and battlefield 4.

the best way to survive moores law is to buy a moderate pc every 2 years.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
As suggested, first try out some games to know what gaming is all about if you arent sure on your gaming greed :p.

Regarding maxing out games on desktop and playing it at highest possible settings, it wouldnt be an exaggeration if i say you wont be able to max out all the game available on pc after an yr or 2 of your latest purchase without upgrading your GC. And this will be a periodic process and you will also have to change your other components once in 5 yrs atleast (except the cabby if in good condition).

Now if you plan on a laptop, maxing out or even playing high end games after couple of years will be out of question and all you can do is change your entire laptop.

So my suggestion is to buy a console (next-gen) and enjoy gaming atleast for another 5-8 yrs without bothering to upgrade at the maximum possible resolutions and settings the H/W and the game offers without even the hurdle of setting up anything for graphics.

As expected, there is a cost involved if you consider console -
1) Pricing of the games (but this wont be any problem if other makers on pc go the EA way.. they have increased the prices on pc games to match with consoles)
2) Only for gaming.
3) Better/bigger your TV, "awesomer/awesomest" your experience
4) Slight learning curve on console controllers if you do not have a first hand experiece already

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl

unless you are going for the top of the end notebook with dual gpus and top of the end cpu, dont expect it to play upcoming games fully maxed out.

a fully configured gaming laptop will cost you close to 1500~ which is almost 90,000 inr. If you get it from abroad, for which you will not get international warranty here.

gaming laptops are okay for people, as sam mentioned who play games for a living. Dota 2 pros use gaming laptops, but then you cant compare dota 2 or cs go to crysis 3 and battlefield 4.

Fundamentally yes, and pro-gamers not to mention come... with a beefed up background of money, so its very unnatural to see a pro gamer investing money on Idea Pads where he can double-afford an X157! They always has super-cool enviable lappies.

Also there is a very intriguing fact of gaming laptops.

Dell , HP, Lenovo, however they try to bring out 60K+laptops with GT series MoGpus...they can never stand against a clevo,alienware/asus/MSI ...and those latter are serious s#it...expensive but has perks,

Formers ones, one day or the other its almost guranteed to have heating issues, coz simply they dont provide enough cooling, a Sager or One laptop even have discrete coolers for GPU and CPU separately.

Also laptops are stones once they outdate, near-zero upgrade path. There is nothing wrong with my XPS old first gen, it just can bear recent games, coz HW has moved ahead and my XPS has not. It COULD NOT.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
you have got what i was trying to say.laptop provides portability but i cant find the performance i need at the budget i have.
so right now i have a budget of 80k(can get 10k from selling my old laptop)...total 90k
so what i am thinking is that i should get a gaming desktop for 60k(40k for the cpu and 20k for the 27in moniter) and for the rest 30k i can buy a new laptop.but my question is that can i play latest and upcoming games at 1080p with ultra settings at rig of 60k?and ideally should i buy a laptop?i mean should i invest my complete 80k on my desktop?actually the reason i am buying a new laptop is because of scratches on the lid and non working optical drive,otherwise my laptop is working fine.

thanks for the reply.your idea of getting a console is good.but what i want to know is that can i play cr@cked games on ps4?when is ps4 launching?AFAIK ps4 doesn't have a big game library right now.and also as i have seen on torrents games size for ps3 is quite big and it is PITA to download such big files whereas cr@acked games for pc is easily availabe in market and is small in size as compared to ps3/ps4 files.thanks

I am sorry to say, if it was for a cracked/piracy aimed gaming experience, I don't want to reply or help any further. All the best..

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
I am sorry to say, if it was for a c***d/p***cy aimed gaming experience, I don't want to reply or help any further. All the best..

Buddies, aren't we forgetting to use spoilers or ASCII chars when mentioning these forbidden words! :-(

at OP, dude at some point of time in gaming life, originality matters and it encourages a healthy experience, no one has to put up a truck of original games to do that, a few would do, with your budget 80K, buy a rig with 75K, will be good enough for FHD gaming at least for 2 years from now, and with rest 5K, buy some games and help developers.

Buy a desktop. Even if you buy a ultra high end laptop I don't think it will max out the games at 1080p 2-3 years after. Also the heating issues will keep bothering you time after time. And not to mention the other stuff that you can do with your desktop rather than your console.

OP
E

evilwit

Journeyman
Talking about Cra***ked games is not allowed here.
You should edit your post.
Post deleted in which I discussed about piracy.
Sorry for breaking the rules.

a fully configured gaming laptop will cost you close to 2000 usd ~ which is almost 1,20,000 inr. If you get it from abroad, for which you will not get international warranty here.

the best way to survive moores law is to buy a moderate pc every 2 years.
Thanks for replying.
What do you mean by moderate pc? Under which budget does a moderate fall? Can a your moderate pc play latest and upcoming games in ultra settings @1080p? Thanks

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
I disagree to that. I think a powerful PC can easily last for 4-5 years thus you can skip two moderate PCs and get one high end PC and enjoy the latest at the greatest.

Yeah I remember "The Cyclone"..
I Agree on that point but a small modification is a PC can last for 4 Generations.. (not 4-5 years)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom