Galaxy Sl or Galaxy R

Sparky19

Broken In
My Preferences :

Budget - 15 to 20k
Display type and size - Minimum 4" screen
Preferred operating system - Preferably android 2.3

Phones considered : Galaxy Sl and Galaxy R

Usage of the phone - Apart from the regular phone calls and stuff. Will be using it for browsing internet via wifi only. Will not be using 3g. Browsing includes watching youtube videos, social networking and plane surfing. Not buying it for games. Though might play it occasionally as a stress buster. But gaming is not the deciding criteria.

Galaxy Sl is available for 17k while Galaxy R is for 21k. Question is, Will Sl be sufficient for my usage or will i need to extend and get R ?

Pros and cons as i see it(subjective) :

Sl : Good - Gorilla glass, better battery life.
Bad - OS 2.2. Read that 2.3 on this has issues.
(Will 2.2 be good enough for my usage ?)

R : Good - Dual core, Ram, OS 2.3
Bad - No Gorilla glass, Just a tad big for my comfort, price.

So guys, could you all please share your viewpoint and help me.

PS: Not considering LG 2x. Dropped Xperia models because of wifi issues.

great_manish

Journeyman
The Galaxy R is a future proof phone --

1. has a dual core processor
2. stock 2.3.6 gb available
3. will get ics officially
4. has a larger screen
5. has 1 gb ram

Issues I am facing with my Galaxy R --

1. Really poor battery life
2. Bad camera quality

But overall i feel its a better option than galaxy sl ..

S

siddhipatel

I would suggest you to go with Samsung Galaxy R as it is having all the latest features and it will fit in your given budget.

s_holmes

Broken In
Looking at your requirements, I would say it can be met by Galaxy SL itself. But since u are ready to pay till 20K, then better go for Galaxy R as you'll be futureproofing yourself with that.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Dude if you are from Pune, you can my galaxy SL for 14.5k , with bill. :D
I will buy Galaxy S2.

ajaymailed

In the zone
why Samsung didn't have LED Flash for Galaxy S, SL, S Plus considering that they are hi-end phones of galaxy range. People putting 20K for phone will expect LED Flash for the camera.

red dragon

Master troll
Galaxy SL does not even come close to R.
Who told you Galaxy R has poorer battery life.
Almost all Android phones have pretty bad battery life(except Atrix)

Unless you are not buying a htc,do not worry about battery...you will have to charge once a day(with htc things are far worse)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Who told you Galaxy R has poorer battery life.
Almost all Android phones have pretty bad battery life(except Atrix)

depends. some user who have R may use the mobile extensively. battery will run out by evening time & hence he calls the battery life is poor. whereas a different guy, with a different mobile may use mobile just for a bit of browsing and a few songs will last for more than 2 days.

most Android mobile last only 24hrs when used extensively.

ofabhishek

║ Green World ║
Galaxy R is definitely a good choice thn SL... not much difference in price but a lot in specs...battery backup is decent too....

ofabhishek

║ Green World ║
I agree with ajay
There are other uses also of The FLASH , if a 2k phone can have a Flash cum torch , a 20 K phone should definitely have it .

I think thr r two reasons for the absence of flash in a phone(specially mid - high end)..

it cannot house it architecturally... or

Sometimes its not added intentionally by the manufacturers to balance the features distribution between various models of the same company... ... coz it affect sales......u should expect every possible feature only in the flagship models...

for eg: SGS plus have the Samoled display while SGR has the SC-LCD but on the other hand it has the dual-core proccy instead of 1.4Ghz proccy on the SGS plus

s_holmes

Broken In
Sometimes its not added intentionally by the manufacturers to balance the features distribution between various models of the same company... ... coz it affect sales......u should expect every possible feature only in the flagship models...

But when Galaxy S, was released, it was the flagship phone for Samsung but it still did not have a flash. And some of the US carrier variants had one (dunno which one).
Although not having a flash did not hamper its sales, since it is the single most sold Android phone in history.
Samsung did receive its share of flak regarding this and I am sure they will not make the same mistake (atleast for their flagships) again.

PurusH

The LeO
Im using SGR since 12 days, of course battery backup is an issue for prolonged usage, may lasts 1day, but once it lasted for 2 days with moderate usage. Another thing is that it takes 3 hrs to fully charge.

The fun factor I liked was to plug-in pendrive using OTG cable, you can watch movies, listen music on the go from pendrives. I tried connecting pendrive in my cousin's Galaxy S plus, but it did not work.

Top Bottom