Galaxy grand??

the.one

In the zone
Hi all,

Was looking to buy a phone with relatively larger screen, as I have been using an SE Xperia Ray for quite some time.

Went through the devices on offer in the market(online survey), and found the Galaxy Grand interesting.

Do u guys think its a good one?? As my usage would primarily be web browsing, watching 1080p videos & a good camera for basic photography.
My only concerns on this one would be the performance(can it play 1080p?) as the chip is a new one from Broadcom and also ppl talking abt a sub-par display(187 ppi). So is the resolution so damn low? or watchable?

Please suggest if u find any major cons with this phone & and any alternatives in similar price range. I can also wait for a few days, if there is anything better in pipeline for a launch.
Could have gone for the Galaxy S3 or any other flagships, but they seem a bit too expensive..

tkin

Back to school!!
187ppi, videocore GPU, its cr@p, stay far far away.

Get Optimus L9 eyes closed.

suhailkhan

Broken In
As suggested above Optimus L9 also fits the bill for a large screen (4.7") with far better specs provided you don't require dual-SIM. The only con against grand would be a lackluster 5mp cam. Any speculations on the pricing of GS2 Plus? This could be an option for mid-level if priced right. You can also look at Xperia P: Good camera, Good display, Decent specs and great looks.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ It may/may not, but there are already lot of JB ROM's are there in XDA and similar places. Still it will release JB update for it major lineups this year.

But the below link tells that it may get JB update, but not sure about when

*techsharma.onlineinfoden.com/?p=1574

tkin

Back to school!!
As suggested above Optimus L9 also fits the bill for a large screen (4.7") with far better specs provided you don't require dual-SIM. The only con against grand would be a lackluster 5mp cam. Any speculations on the pricing of GS2 Plus? This could be an option for mid-level if priced right. You can also look at Xperia P: Good camera, Good display, Decent specs and great looks.
Pathetic battery.

dude the GPU got a score of 57-58 in nenamark 2
Check GLBenchmark here: *www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_ii_plus_review-review-878p4.php
I stand my ground, the adreno 220 in Xperia SL is faster than Mali400MP, which is waay faster than Videocore.

Is the L9 goign to get a JB update??
Maybe, but there are custom roms out there, thing is even without JB L9 will be better than SGS II, its a dinosaur.

OP
T

the.one

In the zone
Hmm... but whtever the numbers suggest against Videocore, this set does handle some gaming.

iGyaan Exclusive: Samsung Galaxy Grand Gaming Review - iGyaan.in

tkin

Back to school!!
Hmm... but whtever the numbers suggest against Videocore, this set does handle some gaming.

iGyaan Exclusive: Samsung Galaxy Grand Gaming Review - iGyaan.in
I never said it won't, I just said that for less cost L9 has a faster GPU, just like a 7950 is as fast as 670 these days, but costs less, which will a person buy?

OP
T

the.one

In the zone
I'm quite up for the L9, also like the looks, even though they are bland. (Dont like phones to be too flashy like ornaments :) Like the 2012 Xperias, lights glowing all around).

Just JB(out of box), camera and the thought that devices with better chipsets dual/quad, full HD displays launching all around n throughout this yr, makes me think I'd better wait n watch atleast upto MWC. watsay??

And yes, no offence to Xperia/ xperia owners, myself own one :) I mite also end up buying the SL. But L9 really a good suggestion for now.

tkin

Back to school!!
I'm quite up for the L9, also like the looks, even though they are bland. (Dont like phones to be too flashy like ornaments :) Like the 2012 Xperias, lights glowing all around).

Just JB(out of box), camera and the thought that devices with better chipsets dual/quad, full HD displays launching all around n throughout this yr, makes me think I'd better wait n watch atleast upto MWC. watsay??

And yes, no offence to Xperia/ xperia owners, myself own one :) I mite also end up buying the SL. But L9 really a good suggestion for now.
I suggest the Xperia SL for 25k, its the best 25k phone for now, period, and yes, wait for the MWC, I am waiting for it myself.

L9 lacks in the camera department only, all else top notch under 22k.

OP
T

the.one

In the zone
If you can wait you will get a MUCH better than phone than Xperia SL from Sony for 25k by April :)

Yeah, I sense much better things in some time from now.
Last yr when I got the Xperia Ray for 16~17k, it was a relatively new device packaged with specs from 2011(1Ghz Scorpion/Adreno 205/WVGA display etc).
Dual-core procs & 4+ inch screens were only on high end sets.

Just a few months down, there were the 2012 xperias and many others with dual-core chips and close to high end specs in mid-range. Quad cores with with 720p displays were the new high-end stuff.

Now, we see 720p displays with quad-core chips even on micromax, karbonn.
Q2 this yr on we can expect to see 1080p displays in the high end category, and atleast 720p stuff on mid-range.

tkin

Back to school!!
Yeah, I sense much better things in some time from now.
Last yr when I got the Xperia Ray for 16~17k, it was a relatively new device packaged with specs from 2011(1Ghz Scorpion/Adreno 205/WVGA display etc).
Dual-core procs & 4+ inch screens were only on high end sets.

Just a few months down, there were the 2012 xperias and many others with dual-core chips and close to high end specs in mid-range. Quad cores with with 720p displays were the new high-end stuff.

Now, we see 720p displays with quad-core chips even on micromax, karbonn.
Q2 this yr on we can expect to see 1080p displays in the high end category, and atleast 720p stuff on mid-range.
Released, in India HTC Butterfly J at 45k msrp.

Top Bottom