fx5200 + celeron + 256mb ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

anuraag_01

Broken In
i am usin a celeron 1.7 ghz with 256MB of DDRSDRAM and a 128mb fx5200 card on a via based board with agp 4x.

what i need to know that right now is what could be probably bottle necking my system? also what is ideal processor to couple with the fx5200, the perfct match - nothing too fast or too slow for the 5200?

and what bout ram??

do remember please that price IS a constrain!

theraven

Technomancer
ummm
is that a trick question ??
im completely confused here
the whole system seems to be a bottleneck

ok lets start somewhere
ppl usually get a proccy and then couple it with a GPU, ur doing it revers .. hehee
anyways theres no such thing ... if ur upgrading its obvious ull get a p4 or an AMD !
whichever one u can fit in ur budget
theres no IDEAL processor for a GPU
ram 256 is ok .. 512 recommended

tell us ur budget we'll be able to help better

mohit

The Hardware Labs
I think your motherboard is the culprit. I suggest you switch to the Intel Original D865GBF motherboard , as it supports AGP 8X and also is fully compatible with the celeron processor. Please tell us wht do u want to use this system for ? If its for gaming then you can very well play todays games at low resolutions with all eye candy off . Just change ur mobo. The 865GBF should set u back by around 3500/- and if you want even better perfomance go for another 256 MB DDR RAM stick and use both the sticks in Dual Channel Mode. Make sure you buy the same frequency RAM as your old one. To check your RAM frequency download CPU-Z . Use it to check all the details of ur RAM and buy a same one. This should cost you anywhere between 1000-1500/- bucks.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I think I understand what the OP means. But an ideal match between the various components of a computer would be different for different applications.

To give an extreme example, for a general-purpose machine that's going to be used for a bit of everything including gaming, a 3GHz processor and a TNT2 graphics card would be a bad mismatch, but may be quite acceptable for office apps.

As a general-purpose system, a 1.7GHz Celly, 256MB RAM and FX5200 make up a balanced config. However, if gaming is of primary importance, then an upgrade of the graphics card will show the biggest improvement. Next comes the RAM (upto 512MB, above which improvement will be small), and the CPU last.

For video editing, the CPU and RAM are much more important than the gfx card.

E.g., some time ago, I upgraded a friend's computer by installing a Radeon 9200 on his 815 mobo running a P3 1.1GHz CPU. His computer now outstrips many of his friends' P4 systems (with mediocre onboard gfx) in gaming.

The Day Walker!

In the zone
hey ppl..i have a similar sort of prob....

hope u can help.

my sys config:-

p3 850mhz
256 sdram
80gb hdd
geforce 2 32mb
intel original 815 mboard
17" monitor

want 2 play games, at decent frames, 1024*768 res.
m thinkin of buyin asus fx 5200 128mb.

is it good enough...as i dont want 2 invest much or anything more then

3000. and will it b able 2 run for 8-9 months...or 1 year,,,

as i m thinkin of upgrading my sys in 1 year,... when PCIe is in market.

suggestions needed!

thanx

TDW {RES}

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
TDW, the 64-bit version of FX5200 won't give you good frame rates while running the latest games at 1024*768, but you won't be able to buy anything better within your budget.

But since this is a stop-gap measure, I think it's a sensible solution. It will be a big boost from your present GF2. Just remember that you'll often have to play at lower settings.

IMHO, it's even more sensible to buy the cheaper XFX brand for such a short-term investment. An XFX FX5200/128MB card costs about 2.5k.

OP
A

anuraag_01

Broken In
hey the walker...i suggest u don't wait for pcie. for budget users like me and u, current hardware is more than sufficient provided it fits the bill. and i think it will be another two yrs before pcie harware gets within our reach. and by the way, agp 8x is more than sufficient for entry lever g cards like the fx5200. my suggestion is go for cheap mobo with something like cheaper athlons

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
anuraag, I think you have a sensible attitude. If you have a balanced config that fits your budget and your performance needs, that's the best thing.

Too many times have we seen someone mention a piece of hardware he has or wants to buy, and several people jump down his throat, not because he made the wrong choice, but because those people just want to show off their knowledge.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
want 2 play games, at decent frames, 1024*768 res.

the card wont work on that high game config.... but will be able run all the games (low or mid config)....

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

Are you tallking about the Asus 9250 X Series? Recently my friend bought one , his budget was kind of low so couldnt go for a high end card. Anyway I was able to play Doom 3, POP:WW , MOHAA , and a few other games on his system with playable framerates with lower settings. Starnge enough his card only has a heatsink on it :shock: and theres no fan, The system did used to heat up a bit but I reorganized the wires and added 2 fans and now its a few degrees lower :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom