Future Upgrade Query

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The tool showed recommended PSU Wattage as 538W, with following config:

1 CPU = i7 4770, CPU Utlization = 100%, 4 sticks DDR3 RAM, AMD R9 290, 3 Regular Sata HDD, 1 Flash SSD, 4 USB Devices, 4 120mm fans, 100% system load.

Now, if I understand this right, then at load, system will consume approx 540W. Input from APC BR1100CI-IN is 660W, which should be just marginally enough, considering some power will be lost during conversion from input to output.

Is that correct?

Theoretically it's correct but only by a vary tiny margin in case of the APC BR1100CI-IN and should hold your rig just fine with it's battery backup under load condition.

The tool showed recommended PSU Wattage as 538W, with following config:

1 CPU = i7 4770, CPU Utlization = 100%, 4 sticks DDR3 RAM, AMD R9 290, 3 Regular Sata HDD, 1 Flash SSD, 4 USB Devices, 4 120mm fans, 100% system load.

Now, if I understand this right, then at load, system will consume approx 540W. Input from APC BR1100CI-IN is 660W, which should be just marginally enough, considering some power will be lost during conversion from input to output.

Is that correct?

Also consider the PSU's efficiency. Considering your PC will need 500 W. With an 80 plus PSU, tit will need 625 W from the wall outlet/UPS. After considering PSU's internal losses due to age, it may be working very close to it's max capacity.

OP
Xai

Xai

Journeyman
How is HiS R9 280X, compared to Asus one? I went to Chadni Chowk (GC Avenue, Kolkata) today, checking prices - HiS 280X is around 21K, whereas Asus one is about 24K.

HiS 290 is 40.5K. - [Correction:] I think this was Sapphire Tri-X OC version.

Last edited:
OP
Xai

Xai

Journeyman
Thought so.

Vedant quoted 21K for HiS 280X, and 31K for Sapphire 290. Excluding tax, and "subject to change", of course.

OP
Xai

Xai

Journeyman
So, I finally bought most of the stuff. Phase I of the upgrade completed.

ComponentModelPrice
CPUIntel i7 4770Rs 19,550
MotherboardGigabyte GA-H87-D3HRs 8100
RAMKingston HyperX Blu 2*4GBRs 5700
CPU CoolerCooler Master Hyper 101Rs 1450
CabinetCorsair Carbide 500RRs 7100

Prices are excluding tax. All bought from Vedant.

A few words regarding the choice of components:

i7 4770 - I was looking for the Xeon, but they were not readily available. Also, I realized that most people do not actually realize that Xeon E3 1245 V3 is basically i7 chip. I figured that if for some reason I need to resale my CPU, then it would be relatively easier to sell off an i7.

Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H - Was cheaper than Asus H87 Pro, which was not available at the moment in Vedant. I was not in the mood to walk to Eastern Logica (they quoted good price for Asus H87 Pro) for just one item. Also, I needed to go for a cheaper board to accomodate the costlier cabinet. :(

Corsair Carbide 500R - I did something silly here. I always liked 500R better than 400R, but 400R is much more value for money. Thing is, that 400R was not available in Vedant, MD Computers, IT Arena. I was informed by Vedant that the latest batch of 400R had some issues with switch, so they awere recalled by Corsair. I bought Corsair Carbide 500R instead. When they brought the cabinet, it was white and I realized I forgot to mention I wanted it in black. So I asked them to deliver a black one to my address. So, I still have to wait a week to have the cabinet delivered. Well, at least the cabinet isn't bad!

Phase II to commence in April :)

My sincerest thanks to all who adviced me in this thread. ASHISH65, rijinpk1, harshilsharma63, topgear, snap and Cilus - your help and guidance are highly appreciated :)

I will post pics once my cabinet is here and I set up my new rig.

OP
Xai

Xai

Journeyman
Hey guys, sorry for the delay with pics. Was busy with some work, and the cabinet came in late. Finally installed today. Here are the pics:

Composite.jpg
interior.jpg
final.jpg

OP
Xai

Xai

Journeyman
Time for you to change the siggy : Add 500R instead of 400R :D BTW, congrats bro.

Oh, it's 400R only. The 500R black still was not available, but new stock of 400R had come in - so I asked Vedant to give me 400R instead of 500R, and saved some money :p

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Oh, it's 400R only. The 500R black still was not available, but new stock of 400R had come in - so I asked Vedant to give me 400R instead of 500R, and saved some money :p

how much did you pay for that?

kannche

Right off the assembly line
So, I finally bought most of the stuff. Phase I of the upgrade completed.

ComponentModelPrice
CPUIntel i7 4770Rs 19,550
MotherboardGigabyte GA-H87-D3HRs 8100
RAMKingston HyperX Blu 2*4GBRs 5700
CPU CoolerCooler Master Hyper 101Rs 1450
CabinetCorsair Carbide 500RRs 7100

Prices are excluding tax. All bought from Vedant.

A few words regarding the choice of components:

i7 4770 - I was looking for the Xeon, but they were not readily available. Also, I realized that most people do not actually realize that Xeon E3 1245 V3 is basically i7 chip. I figured that if for some reason I need to resale my CPU, then it would be relatively easier to sell off an i7.

Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H - Was cheaper than Asus H87 Pro, which was not available at the moment in Vedant. I was not in the mood to walk to Eastern Logica (they quoted good price for Asus H87 Pro) for just one item. Also, I needed to go for a cheaper board to accomodate the costlier cabinet. :(

Corsair Carbide 500R - I did something silly here. I always liked 500R better than 400R, but 400R is much more value for money. Thing is, that 400R was not available in Vedant, MD Computers, IT Arena. I was informed by Vedant that the latest batch of 400R had some issues with switch, so they awere recalled by Corsair. I bought Corsair Carbide 500R instead. When they brought the cabinet, it was white and I realized I forgot to mention I wanted it in black. So I asked them to deliver a black one to my address. So, I still have to wait a week to have the cabinet delivered. Well, at least the cabinet isn't bad!

Phase II to commence in April :)

My sincerest thanks to all who adviced me in this thread. ASHISH65, rijinpk1, harshilsharma63, topgear, snap and Cilus - your help and guidance are highly appreciated :)

I will post pics once my cabinet is here and I set up my new rig.

Congrats :)

Top Bottom