Future Upgrade Query

ASHISH65

Technomancer
I still can't decide between FX 8350 and i5-4670K. I might even go for i7-4770K, but that's a bit too costly.

I get that there are two main points in favor of FX 8350 - one that its lower price point helps to get a better GPU, and second that the newer games seem to utilize multiple cores of the FX chip better. The disadvantage is, that each core of FX is weaker than each core of the i5.

I am not sure how the FX compares against the i5 in new games, even after the edge it gets in multi-core optimized games. Is the i5 going to fall behind, even with 4 stronger cores? Will FX 8350 perform better in newer games? How consistent will either chip be? Will 8 cores of FX be better than the more powerful 4 cores of i5? Is it wise to buy an older chip now?

Xeon FTW!

I still can't decide between FX 8350 and i5-4670K. I might even go for i7-4770K, but that's a bit too costly.

I get that there are two main points in favor of FX 8350 - one that its lower price point helps to get a better GPU, and second that the newer games seem to utilize multiple cores of the FX chip better. The disadvantage is, that each core of FX is weaker than each core of the i5.

I am not sure how the FX compares against the i5 in new games, even after the edge it gets in multi-core optimized games. Is the i5 going to fall behind, even with 4 stronger cores? Will FX 8350 perform better in newer games? How consistent will either chip be? Will 8 cores of FX be better than the more powerful 4 cores of i5? Is it wise to buy an older chip now?

> Do not care about the internals of processor. Just look at the benchmarks.

> i5 is currently faster than 8350 in games but as you have mentioned that 8350 allows a better graphic card to be included, so finally 8350 system be able to provide better gaming performance.

> there is absolutely no appearant gaming performance difference between an i5 and i7. i7 for gaming is a big overkill.

ASHISH65

Technomancer
And also there is nothing like future proof in pc world- when new cpu architecture arrives -New games will favour new one only ,just get what is best in present :)

OP
Xai

Xai

Journeyman
Just got a reply from MD Computers hat Xeon E3 1230 V3 will be available @ Rs 18500. Worth it?

I suppose there won't be a need for a Z87 board with Xeon. What board would be better?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Just got a reply from MD Computers hat Xeon E3 1230 V3 will be available @ Rs 18500. Worth it?

I suppose there won't be a need for a Z87 board with Xeon. What board would be better?

e3 1245 v3 is available at 19k. ask them. for that xeon get asus h87 pro. no need of z87 mobo.

ASHISH65

Technomancer

Gigabyte H87-d3h is enough for that cpu

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
MD is getting overpriced. E3 1245 V3 @ Rs 20,200. For 600 more, primeabgb is selling i7 4770. :S

xeon e3 1245 v3 should be the choice than i7 4770. ask some other local shops to get competitive price.

OP
Xai

Xai

Journeyman
xeon e3 1245 v3 should be the choice than i7 4770.

I'm sorry - maybe I am missing something here, but other than the price, I can't find any other significant difference. How is the xeon better?

ARK | Compare Intel® Products

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I'm sorry - maybe I am missing something here, but other than the price, I can't find any other significant difference. How is the xeon better?

ARK | Compare Intel® Products

what else you need for the same performance?

OP
Xai

Xai

Journeyman
what else you need for the same performance?

Touche'.

Anyway, thanks for the advices. It's still a couple of months before I actually purchase stuff, but this has been educational. :)

By the way, I am also trying to see if it is possible to ship something through Intel's Employee Discount. It's a long shot, but keeping my fingers crossed.

Any idea if customs charges (and how much) are applicable on CPUs being imported/shipped to India from US?

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Touche'.

Anyway, thanks for the advices. It's still a couple of months before I actually purchase stuff, but this has been educational. :)

By the way, I am also trying to see if it is possible to ship something through Intel's Employee Discount. It's a long shot, but keeping my fingers crossed.

Any idea if customs charges (and how much) are applicable on CPUs being imported/shipped to India from US?

Use this :-D New Import Duty & Taxes Calculation | DutyCalculator

OP
Xai

Xai

Journeyman
Use this :-D New Import Duty & Taxes Calculation | DutyCalculator

Quick question though - Will the product value be Retail Price or the Invoiced (discount) price? (the help says "price you paid for the item" - so I hope that's the discounted value)

OP
Xai

Xai

Journeyman
I decided to splurge a bit. I have around 55K saved up. Here's the config I am looking at:

Intel i7 4770K @ 23,000
Asus Maximus VI Hero @ 18,000
CM Hyper 212 Evo @ 3,000
G-Skill RipjawsX (1600) 8 GB @ Rs 6,500
Corsair Carbide 400R @ 5,500 (or Carbide 500R)

Company bonuses roll out on March-end, so I will probably get a GPU upgrade as well. Should R9 280X suffice at single monitor 1080p for like 3 years?

Will Corsair TX650 psu be enough for a 280X/290?

Last edited:

ASHISH65

Technomancer
I decided to splurge a bit. I have around 55K saved up. Here's the config I am looking at:

Intel i7 4770K @ 23,000
Asus Maximus VI Hero @ 18,000
CM Hyper 212 Evo @ 3,000
Corsair Carbide 400R @ 5,500 (or Carbide 500R)

Company bonuses roll out on March-end, so I will probably get a GPU upgrade as well. Should R9 280X suffice at single monitor 1080p for like 3 years?

Will Corsair TX650 psu be enough for a 280X/290?

Maximus hero is big overkill unless you want make world records,Get Asus Z87-a @ 13k, more than enough

TX650 is enough for R9 280x

R9 280x would be fine for 1080p for next 2 years

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Get this ram with eyes closed - Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 4 GB PC RAM (KHX1600C9D3B1/4G) - Buy RAM Online @ Best Price on Snapdeal.com

Order 2 of them

OP
Xai

Xai

Journeyman
What are you polanning to do with i7 4770k? If you intend to do just gaming, even an i5 4570k will be perfectly enough.

For now. Since next-gen games are seemingly utilizing ,multiple cores/hyper-threading more, it might be possible that the i7 will perform better in more games. I can't know for sure, but I want to be on the safe side. I know it's a gamble, and an expensive one at that, but I would not be upgrading my CPU for 4-5 years.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
if budget permits, you can go for i7 4770k for sure as future games are likely to be benefited from hyperthreading of i7. but for gpu part, get 290 to be on a safer side for a longer period of time than 280x.

Top Bottom