Full HD TV for INR 70k !!!

OP
S

ssj4karan

Journeyman
can you tell me, where u got that Quote for sony hx850, im looking to buy one since im not satisifed with w800a from sony and w900a isnt in my budget ?

Well that is a special quote that i am getting in gurgaon. Its not from any authorised dealer or showroom.

Guys, today i auditioned all the TV's and have without any doubt decided to go for 46" W700A.

40"HX850 - The design is very good. Amazing picture quality. The 3D content looked very good. Even the non 3D content converted to 3D looked good. I was pleasantly surprised by the Active 3D glasses. There was absolutely no shutter effect in the glasses. Overall very good.

47"W800A - Amazing Design. Picture quality is Amazing. The passive 3D is very good for 3D content. On par with the active 3D. However the 2D content converted to 3D does not look good and the picture ain't clear. Picture gets distorted. So would not recommend using this feature. Overall good.

46"W700A - The star of the show. Amazing Design. The best picture Quality i have seen. Better PQ than the W800A. Overall the best 2D TV one can buy currently.

46"F6400 - Bad Design. Looks bulky and no where as classy as the sony models. PQ is very good though. The native 3D content looks amazing. The converted 2D to 3D content not so good. Would not recommend using it. The active 3D glasses were a disappointment as the active shutter was very noticeable in the glasses. Samsung needs to learn from sony how to make good active 3D glasses.

Thats it folks on my take of these models. If you have any questions, pls ask away.

randomuser111

Technomancer
^

Interesting :).

I will have to demo these new sets myself soon.

Also did W800 have noticeably worse blacks than W700/Hx850 ?

OP
S

ssj4karan

Journeyman
^

Interesting :).

I will have to demo these new sets myself soon.

Also did W800 have noticeably worse blacks than W700/Hx850 ?

On its own the PQ of W800 looks amazing, but when you compare it side by side with the W700/HX850, the difference is clearly evident :)
Also do post your views, when you demo these new sets yourself.

warrior047

In the zone
Mate, Did you have a look at KDL-42W650A

Its for 66k...most of the specs seem to be same with W700A except the 4" size and some ports
Can you share your opinion on that....

randomuser111

Technomancer
^

W650A is not good. So look at Samsung F5500 or above model.

I'm Sony fanboy but can't push inferior product. W650A has poor contrast and poor performance with SD content.

W800 is also not good.

The only Sony Bravia TVs that are worth buying this year are W600/W700 and W900. The W650/670 and W800 with IPS panels are just like LG tvs

OP
S

ssj4karan

Journeyman
Mate, Did you have a look at KDL-42W650A

Its for 66k...most of the specs seem to be same with W700A except the 4" size and some ports
Can you share your opinion on that....

I did and want to tell you that there is really no comparison between the 2. The W700A is miles ahead.
I would suggest having a look at samsung F5500 and make your choice.

^

W650A is not good. So look at Samsung F5500 or above model.

I'm Sony fanboy but can't push inferior product. W650A has poor contrast and poor performance with SD content.

W800 is also not good.

The only Sony Bravia TVs that are worth buying this year are W600/W700 and W900. The W650/670 and W800 with IPS panels are just like LG tvs

So buddy, did you have a chance to audition the sets?
You are being too critical on the W800A.
Its not a bad set by any means and does not deserve to be in the same league as the W650/670.
The W800A is worth picking up but if one can go for the W700/HX850, then should definitely pick up the latter.
Also where does it say if it is an IPS panel or VA panel?

randomuser111

Technomancer
W800 has same contrast as W650/670 and other LG sets - below 1000:1. That's unacceptable for a TV at that price point. I have been critical of LG sets due to poor contrast and same applies to W800/650/670 with IPS panels

Also have heard lot of complaints about these sets PQ from owners.

OP
S

ssj4karan

Journeyman
W800 has same contrast as W650/670 and other LG sets - below 1000:1. That's unacceptable for a TV at that price point. I have been critical of LG sets due to poor contrast and same applies to W800/650/670 with IPS panels

Also have heard lot of complaints about these sets PQ from owners.

Interesting point. But the PQ of the W800 does not look as bad as 650/670 when compared to the W700/HX850.
Neways, where can i find out if a TV uses an IPS pannel or VA Pannel?

warlord131

Right off the assembly line
Thanks a lot for this thread!!
I was getting confused choosing Sony bravia vs Samsung F series vs LG lm series. I have finally made my mind to buy a Sony TV. But I still can't decide upon a model.

My viewing distance is around 8 feet.
My requirements are playing PS3 games and watching movies (both SD and HD).
Since I'm buying such an expensive TV, I wan't to go for 3D model.
Earlier I had decided upon 42W800A, but reading other comments I'm thinking about 40HX850. Will the 2D to 3D conversion look good enough to play FPS games on these models?

Also, randomuser had pointed out that W800 model has IPS panel and is not good. But I have seen LG tvs with IPS panel alongside Samsung LED tvs. The IPS panel looked very good in terms of PQ and viewing angles over normal LED panel.
I'm yet to audition the Sony tvs.
Is the IPS panel in W800 model really worse than that of the HX850 model??

HX850 model is old and does not support NTFS file system and video formats like MKV, whereas the newer W800 model supports all of them and has lots of new features like Bravia Sync, one touch mirroring, etc.

Last edited:

randomuser111

Technomancer
HX850 > W800.

And while I respect your opinion, LG TVs do not stand up to Samsung/Sony sets in terms of Picture Quality and even all reviews agree to that.

But Sony has done an okay job with IPS panel and W800 has the best PQ among IPS panel TVs.

If you will use your TV only under bright lighting all the time then you can go for W800 as then the contrast weakness won't be visible. But if you will use your TV to watch movies in dark or low light, HX850 is a must.

Simply on PQ terms, HX850 is much superior to W800

OP
S

ssj4karan

Journeyman
Thanks a lot for this thread!!
I was getting confused choosing Sony bravia vs Samsung F series vs LG lm series. I have finally made my mind to buy a Sony TV. But I still can't decide upon a model.

My viewing distance is around 8 feet.
My requirements are playing PS3 games and watching movies (both SD and HD).
Since I'm buying such an expensive TV, I wan't to go for 3D model.
Earlier I had decided upon 42W800A, but reading other comments I'm thinking about 40HX850. Will the 2D to 3D conversion look good enough to play FPS games on these models?

Also, randomuser had pointed out that W800 model has IPS panel and is not good. But I have seen LG tvs with IPS panel alongside Samsung LED tvs. The IPS panel looked very good in terms of PQ and viewing angles over normal LED panel.
I'm yet to audition the Sony tvs.
Is the IPS panel in W800 model really worse than that of the HX850 model??

HX850 model is old and does not support NTFS file system and video formats like MKV, whereas the newer W800 model supports all of them and has lots of new features like Bravia Sync, one touch mirroring, etc.

Firstly for your viewing distance 40 or 42" is the right choice.
What i would like to ask you is as to how much 3D content do you plan on watching? Does it justify you paying the premium?
2D PQ wise, only the W700A can stand up to the HX850. But the W700 is only 46".
If you plan on converting 2D content to 3D and watching it, then you are going to be disappointed with the W800A. However the HX850 manages this very well.
I would like to bring in the samsung F5500(non 3D Tv) into the picture here. The PQ is very good. I would go to the lenght of saying, the best pq in the 40" non 3D tv segment.
So your choices are quite clear here. If you go for a 3D tv then it should be the sony hx850. Non 3D should be the samsung F5500.

shrey_naidu

Broken In
I Agree HX850 may have a better PQ but W800 is good too.. difference is negligible.
My vote goes to W800 coz it uses Passive 3D, Latest features and better UI.

Well if you are thinking about IPS panel? that's not bad.. actually its catching up with all manufactures.
Did you ever imagine that SONY would step into Passive 3D and IPS panels? :)

warlord131

Right off the assembly line
randomuser111 , ssj4karan,
I went to the showroom yesterday, but the HX series were all out of stock.
W800A was available along side LG tvs. I couldn't tell much difference in PQ as I'm just moving from an old onida CRT TV. My eyes are not used to such finer things.
The 2D to 3D conversion on W800 wasn't good at all. It looked like a normal TV only, but the conversion on LG LM series just blew me away!! The depth in the 3D was so much better and there wasn't any noticeable loss of brightness/PQ.

My main requirement is playing PS3 games and sometimes movies. I don't watch cable TV anymore.
I'm thinking that LG would give a better experience with the 2D-3D conversion of PS3 games. And I'll be buying 3D games in the future.

randomuser111

Technomancer
For gaming it's better to get W800 as it has very low input lag, whereas LG Tvs have high input lag which is bad for gaming.

OP
S

ssj4karan

Journeyman
randomuser111 , ssj4karan,
I went to the showroom yesterday, but the HX series were all out of stock.
W800A was available along side LG tvs. I couldn't tell much difference in PQ as I'm just moving from an old onida CRT TV. My eyes are not used to such finer things.
The 2D to 3D conversion on W800 wasn't good at all. It looked like a normal TV only, but the conversion on LG LM series just blew me away!! The depth in the 3D was so much better and there wasn't any noticeable loss of brightness/PQ.

My main requirement is playing PS3 games and sometimes movies. I don't watch cable TV anymore.
I'm thinking that LG would give a better experience with the 2D-3D conversion of PS3 games. And I'll be buying 3D games in the future.

Buddy, looks like you really need a 3D tv. So my suggestion to you is close your eyes and buy the hx850. Don't look at passive 3D and stuff. The technology used by sony for the active 3D in the Hx850 is something special. I have not seen such fine active 3D from any other company. It blows the likes of samsung out of the water.

Also don't bring LG or the W800 into the same picture as the hx850. There is just no comparison.

Just go look around a few more shops and you are bound to find the Hx850.
The 40" version would cost you close to 90K. So if you can afford it, which from your converse, looks like it, pick it up.
Nuff said :)

shrey_naidu

Broken In
Dude.. If you are aiming 3D TV for gaming, just blindly ignore it COZ when u continuously play games you will start having headache's. Yes active may be good for occasional 3D watchers not good for gamers.

FOR GAMERS PASSIVE 3D IS THE RIGHT CHOICE.

WHY DO YOU EVEN CONSIDER BUYING LAST YEAR TV MODELS?
They may be good but latest is always best. This year TV lineup has some cool features like NFC etc..

Top Bottom