Status
Not open for further replies.

sid_b6505

Broken In
Hi frnds..
can any one help..
I have installed FTP server in my comp...now if I want to access the folders on my ftp service...from some other computer through web, what address should I type in the internet explorer window?

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
first,

I am assuming ur directly connected to the internet thru a modem or broadband or something like that ? If so then you need to find out ur IP first. This can be easily done as follows. I am assuming you are using Windows 2000 or Windows XP

Open up a command windows by clicking on start->run. Type cmd in that
This will open up a command window. In that type ipconfig and press enter
this will give you some info. Look for something which says IP address. This is your IP. Note it down.

Now if you have set up a standard ftp server then the port for it usually is on 21. If you have changed it then you need to note down the port.

When you type in the URL for the ftp it will be like following :

ftp://<your_ip>:<port>

this will give the person access to the ftp via the browser. Course he can use an ftp client as well. He might need to give an username pass if you have disabled anonymous logins.

Hope this helps.

OP
S

sid_b6505

Broken In
IP address

thanx for ur reply
but my IP address is 192.168.0.2 as I have a shared internet connection between two comps at my home running XP. SInce this IP address is not unique, as it is same for every networked comps with ICS, I am not able to get a unique address to access FTP via web. Though I can access through the other comp on my home network.

H

h4ck3r

A small note....

A small note.... for you sid guy....
Just make sure your ip is static..i mean if u type ipconfig in ur dos window u can see yo ip..try veryfying if the ip is the same everytime u connect to the net..if not chances of running a ftp using ip is very faint becoz your ip keeps changing from time to time ..
Thats all !!

digen

Youngling
hey sid_b6505,
You can setup your server on the pc running the ICS server.It wont work if you setup with the other pc on lan which is sharing a internet connection from the server unless you have a router & forward a port to the second pc.
Check the ip address issued by the ISP on your ICS server,
start>run>cmd>ipconfig

No problems even if you have a dynamic IP,there are services such as No-IP which will query & update your IP & map it to the hostname.
Get a ftp server software,configure & host it keeping in mind the security aspect.

SmoothCriminal

In the zone
Re: IP address

sid_b6505 said:
thanx for ur reply
but my IP address is 192.168.0.2 as I have a shared internet connection between two comps at my home running XP. SInce this IP address is not unique, as it is same for every networked comps with ICS, I am not able to get a unique address to access FTP via web. Though I can access through the other comp on my home network.

Man.. Dont takw ur 192.168.*.* series IP address.. Its ur LAN address.. When you connect to Internet, check the IP Address using ipconfig..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom